Do I need to explain myself?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
09-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Do I need to explain myself?
After letting a few friends and family members know that I don't believe in god, I had an aunt demand that I explain my position to her. It caught me completely off-guard. While I don't have a problem justifying my beliefs, I don't feel like I owe her anything. I simply told her I don't believe in fairy tales and brushed it off. Over the past few months, I've had several other people question me as well. I've already learned that it is impossible to talk to the brainwashing effects of Christianity, so I try to save some effort and ignore the argument altogether. I don't walk up to Christians and demand that they explain their beliefs to me-I simply don't give a shit. Why do Christians (at least the ones I know) feel this sense of superiority that guides them to question my beliefs and demand an explanation? Have any of you been in this situation and have some advice? Sure, I can explain the hypocrisy of the bible and provide scientific explanations, but I know it will do no good. What would you do if encountered with these questions?

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kellyrm's post
09-03-2013, 02:28 PM
RE: Do I need to explain myself?
Do you need to explain yourself? Not in the least. About anything (well, unless you kill a person or something. And even then you do not need to explain yourself Tongue ). You don't owe anyone explanations.

As for the Xtian stuff - I say it depends on how important the people who insist on an explanation are to you. If you think they're worth the effort/ they're important to you, you may tell them why you're not religious (you may also ask them why they are. Answers to this are always worth a chuckle or two). If they're not - I wouldn't give them the time of day. Much better things to be done with one's time.

Also, welcome here.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
09-03-2013, 02:30 PM
(09-03-2013 02:28 PM)Vera Wrote:  Do you need to explain yourself? Not in the least. About anything (well, unless you kill a person or something. And even then you do not need to explain yourself Tongue ). You don't owe anyone explanations.

As for the Xtian stuff - I say it depends on how important the people who insist on an explanation are to you. If you think they're worth the effort/ they're important to you, you may tell them why you're not religious (you may also ask them why they are. Answers to this are always worth a chuckle or two). If they're not - I wouldn't give them the time of day. Much better things to be done with one's time.

Also, welcome here.
Thanks Vera! Most of the people who asked are people I'm close to. I just feel like it's easier to let them think I'm going to hell for not believing than to attack their beliefs. I don't agree with their beliefs, but I also don't care that they are Christian. So I find it easier to let them feel sorry for me for being an atheist than to offend them although I think they're beliefs are ridiculous.

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
[+] 1 user Likes kellyrm's post
09-03-2013, 02:43 PM
(09-03-2013 02:30 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  Thanks Vera! Most of the people who asked are people I'm close to. I just feel like it's easier to let them think I'm going to hell for not believing than to attack their beliefs. I don't agree with their beliefs, but I also don't care that they are Christian. So I find it easier to let them feel sorry for me for being an atheist than to offend them although I think they're beliefs are ridiculous.
Definitely the way I would have gone (and have gone with the couple or so religious relatives I do have). If you care about them, no need to cause them needless pain (esp. when it comes to older folk). Let them believe what they want (esp. if they let you believe what you want) and leave it at that. As long as what they are saying is not hurting you, I think it's not worth the effort nor the risk of hurting someone you love in the process. If they start to become too annoying, just tell them there's nothing to talk about and move on (this works in tons more situations, too Angel )

I say, live your life the way you want to and let others do the same. (Well, a lot of Xtians seem to unable to grasp that, but I've found selective deafness to be a real blessing in cases like this.)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
09-03-2013, 02:48 PM
(09-03-2013 01:52 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  After letting a few friends and family members know that I don't believe in god, I had an aunt demand that I explain my position to her. It caught me completely off-guard. While I don't have a problem justifying my beliefs, I don't feel like I owe her anything. I simply told her I don't believe in fairy tales and brushed it off. Over the past few months, I've had several other people question me as well. I've already learned that it is impossible to talk to the brainwashing effects of Christianity, so I try to save some effort and ignore the argument altogether. I don't walk up to Christians and demand that they explain their beliefs to me-I simply don't give a shit. Why do Christians (at least the ones I know) feel this sense of superiority that guides them to question my beliefs and demand an explanation? Have any of you been in this situation and have some advice? Sure, I can explain the hypocrisy of the bible and provide scientific explanations, but I know it will do no good. What would you do if encountered with these questions?
Because they love you and they don't want you to burn in hell for eternity, you ungrateful little devil's spawn! Evil_monster That's why they want to reconvert you.

I'm sure they will tell you something like that if you specifically ask them. Meanwhile, while you obviously don't have any obligation to explain yourself to them, you might want to try anyway just for practice and to clarify your position in your own mind. Of course, if the time you spend doing that interferes with more important activities like watching Myth Busters, you certainly don't want to let that happen. It actually isn't impossible to talk to devout Christians, it is just kinda frustrating after a while, but you can certainly plant seeds of doubt which you may find years later, will lead some people out of their religious trance. In the case of your aunt, you might want to focus on all the bible passages which tell women to basically sit down, shut up, and obey the men in their lives. You might also point out the discrepancy between their (presumed) belief in a loving god and the fact that while you don't give a shit what they believe, they believe you will be tortured for all time if you continue to refuse to agree with them. Ask them if maybe you and they should become Islamists because that god seems to be even angrier with unbelievers than the Christian god.

"Heresy makes for progress" - Hypatia Bradlaugh Bonner
[1 Corinthians 13:11] When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. - The Bible King James Version. See? Even the Bible says "Put me down!" Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like ufo42's post
09-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Matt Dillahunty from the Atheist Experience has a way of saying it.

I like to have as many true beliefs and as few false beliefs as possible.
Do you care if your beliefs are true or not ?

If you don't care if they are true or not, then we have nothing else to discuss.
I care if my beliefs are true or not. If you also care if your beliefs are true or not and we have differing beliefs then there must be a way to go about discerning if a belief is likely to be true or false ?

We're talking about a method in which we can use to determine fact from fantasy.
When we examine a claim, we can use reason and critical thinking along with evidence to determine if a claim is likely to be true. If you believe something based on faith, then you have given up trying to find out if the claim is true or not.

Faith is not a pathway to truth.
The validity of a claim doesn't change no matter how how strongly the conviction is held nor how many people belief it. There are just as many people out there who hold to their belief as strongly as yours and they don't believe what you do.

You hold a belief. You must justify it. You must provide the reasons why you believe what you do.
I don't hold a religious belief. There is nothing for me to justify. I'm not carrying it.

Imagine that every religious person in the world carried a brick upon their head. Different bricks for different religions.
I would ask you. Why are you carrying a brick on your head ? I'm not.

I'm not carrying that extra baggage around on (or in) my head.

It's just that simple.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 7 users Like Rahn127's post
09-03-2013, 04:21 PM

whoops.

see actual reply below.
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2013, 04:25 PM

You basically told your family to F-off and so they ask you to explain yourself. But, like you said, you don't care.

Welcome to the lovely world of atheism.

Oh, I almost forgot...you will go to hell for your beliefs. You willfully reject Christ--so you will go to hell. If you die tomorrow, you go to hell. That's a certainty. Drinking Beverage

When will you atheists ever get it; it's the only reason we have a mind--to believe in Christ or reject Christ.

Everything else is incidental. Angel
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2013, 04:28 PM
(09-03-2013 04:25 PM)Egor Wrote:  You basically told your family to F-off and so they ask you to explain yourself. But, like you said, you don't care.

Welcome to the lovely world of atheism.

Oh, I almost forgot...you will go to hell for your beliefs. You willfully reject Christ--so you will go to hell. If you die tomorrow, you go to hell. That's a certainty. Drinking Beverage

When will you atheists ever get it; it's the only reason we have a mind--to believe in Christ or reject Christ.

Everything else is incidental. Angel

That is your delusion. We don't share it. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
09-03-2013, 05:04 PM
(09-03-2013 01:52 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  After letting a few friends and family members know that I don't believe in god, I had an aunt demand that I explain my position to her. It caught me completely off-guard. While I don't have a problem justifying my beliefs, I don't feel like I owe her anything. I simply told her I don't believe in fairy tales and brushed it off. Over the past few months, I've had several other people question me as well. I've already learned that it is impossible to talk to the brainwashing effects of Christianity, so I try to save some effort and ignore the argument altogether. I don't walk up to Christians and demand that they explain their beliefs to me-I simply don't give a shit. Why do Christians (at least the ones I know) feel this sense of superiority that guides them to question my beliefs and demand an explanation? Have any of you been in this situation and have some advice? Sure, I can explain the hypocrisy of the bible and provide scientific explanations, but I know it will do no good. What would you do if encountered with these questions?
Take absolutely no notice of the ulra crazed Egor.
He exemplifies the extreme lunacy right of Christianity.
Indeed, the much milder (saner) Christians still hold
Egoresque egocentricities, but to a much lesser degree. Cool