Do I need to explain myself?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-03-2013, 12:23 PM
RE: Do I need to explain myself?
(10-03-2013 12:01 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 11:50 AM)kellyrm Wrote:  I attended church twice a week from the time I was 3 until I was 22. I know the bible inside and out. The religious studies course was not an attempt to debunk any religion-it simply taught the different beliefs and customs of every religion and actually spent very little time covering Christianity. However, as a person who was monotheistic, it caught me completely off-guard to learn that all of these different cultures believed in so many different things and led me to question if Christianity was the right religion in the eyes of the god I so profoundly believed in. Muslims don't eat pork....what if the god I tried so hard to be faithful to didn't want me to eat pork? Am I sinning or are Muslims just doing it all wrong? Muslims (maybe it was Buddhists-I forget) shave their babies heads when they are born to cleanse the dirty sins from their mothers as an attempt to start a pure life. I didn't do that to my children....are they automatically condemned? Thrituals were so different from religion to religion that I began to question if Christianity was the only way----which led me to believe it was all a crock. BTW, I don't know what religion the professor was, if any. She did not speak of herself and did not favor any religion or lack of religion...again the course was educational, not persuasive.
Christianity is a belief in Jesus Christ. Belief in his resurrection as the son of God and accepting Him as Lord of your life is the what makes you a Christian. If you don't believe in this, you are out of the realm of Christianity and can follow whatever path you choose as far as food, shaving your baby, etc. If you believe in this, other religions are not valid (because they don't believe in this) and what they are doing is really of no consequence to you any more than what an atheist does.

How did learning about other cultures make you lose faith in Christ's resurrection?
There were many different stories---all supposedly about this one man. So, which one is true? I can't believe that every religion is right and each story of god happened without believing that there are many different gods. Believing that different gods cover different cultures would require me to believe in separate heavens and hells for each religion OR only one heaven and hell in which every other religion is condemned to hell for not following the right religion. Without a clear choice, atheism is the common sense route. I also cannot believe that a man created a woman, who would give birth to him, and then later kill himself to protect the sinners he created. I took my daughter to bible study when I was 22 and a little girl (12 maybe) in the class asked if Adam and Eve were allowed to have children if they were related. The lady in charge of the class actually told her that incest was okay then and that later, Eve would have to have more children with her son to make more people. Not the way I had ever thought about the bible, and maybe not accurate, but definitely not what I want my children to learn. Okay, so the problem there was the specific church, or possibly only that woman. But this happens all the time---at very church in any religion. Questions are asked by people who are skeptical and confused, and some half-ass, ill-researched response is given. Not only that, but with so many interpretations, each person may have a totally different explanation for the exact same verse. Seems to me the bible started as a story (hey maybe it did all happen) and people took it way too literal. If I tell my children today that they must lick the sidewalk before they are allowed to run, and they do it and teach their friends to do it...eventually this catches on and thousands of years down the road everybody is licking sidewalks as to not disappoint me, I would roll in my grave at the bullshit I started. I do not believe a person is able to resurrect, why hasn't it happened again, even once in thousands of years? Certainly this guy wasn't magical...but that's exactly what religion wants me to believe.

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2013, 12:36 PM
(10-03-2013 12:23 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 12:01 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  Christianity is a belief in Jesus Christ. Belief in his resurrection as the son of God and accepting Him as Lord of your life is the what makes you a Christian. If you don't believe in this, you are out of the realm of Christianity and can follow whatever path you choose as far as food, shaving your baby, etc. If you believe in this, other religions are not valid (because they don't believe in this) and what they are doing is really of no consequence to you any more than what an atheist does.

How did learning about other cultures make you lose faith in Christ's resurrection?
There were many different stories---all supposedly about this one man. So, which one is true? I can't believe that every religion is right and each story of god happened without believing that there are many different gods. Believing that different gods cover different cultures would require me to believe in separate heavens and hells for each religion OR only one heaven and hell in which every other religion is condemned to hell for not following the right religion. Without a clear choice, atheism is the common sense route. I also cannot believe that a man created a woman, who would give birth to him, and then later kill himself to protect the sinners he created. I took my daughter to bible study when I was 22 and a little girl (12 maybe) in the class asked if Adam and Eve were allowed to have children if they were related. The lady in charge of the class actually told her that incest was okay then and that later, Eve would have to have more children with her son to make more people. Not the way I had ever thought about the bible, and maybe not accurate, but definitely not what I want my children to learn. Okay, so the problem there was the specific church, or possibly only that woman. But this happens all the time---at very church in any religion. Questions are asked by people who are skeptical and confused, and some half-ass, ill-researched response is given. Not only that, but with so many interpretations, each person may have a totally different explanation for the exact same verse. Seems to me the bible started as a story (hey maybe it did all happen) and people took it way too literal. If I tell my children today that they must lick the sidewalk before they are allowed to run, and they do it and teach their friends to do it...eventually this catches on and thousands of years down the road everybody is licking sidewalks as to not disappoint me, I would roll in my grave at the bullshit I started. I do not believe a person is able to resurrect, why hasn't it happened again, even once in thousands of years? Certainly this guy wasn't magical...but that's exactly what religion wants me to believe.
Your post is difficult to read without paragraphs and I'm not sure who you are referring to in some of it (1st sentence, about a man killing himself, etc). The woman you mention was likely giving you an opinion. If it's not written in the Bible I would take it with a grain of salt. It is a lifelong learning process, we are not giving all the information, just what we need. As far as being disappointed in what a professing Christian may say or do, they are human beings. It is not an indictment on God, because we all have limited understanding. But we are told what we need to know for salvation, which is the most important thing.

Christians don't believe in different gods. I have laid out to you the core belief which I'm sure you have heard before. You do sound a little lost and confused. I would urge you to get into the scripture and pray for wisdom and understanding. Ask for a sign.
10-03-2013, 12:43 PM
(10-03-2013 12:36 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 12:23 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  There were many different stories---all supposedly about this one man. So, which one is true? I can't believe that every religion is right and each story of god happened without believing that there are many different gods. Believing that different gods cover different cultures would require me to believe in separate heavens and hells for each religion OR only one heaven and hell in which every other religion is condemned to hell for not following the right religion. Without a clear choice, atheism is the common sense route. I also cannot believe that a man created a woman, who would give birth to him, and then later kill himself to protect the sinners he created. I took my daughter to bible study when I was 22 and a little girl (12 maybe) in the class asked if Adam and Eve were allowed to have children if they were related. The lady in charge of the class actually told her that incest was okay then and that later, Eve would have to have more children with her son to make more people. Not the way I had ever thought about the bible, and maybe not accurate, but definitely not what I want my children to learn. Okay, so the problem there was the specific church, or possibly only that woman. But this happens all the time---at very church in any religion. Questions are asked by people who are skeptical and confused, and some half-ass, ill-researched response is given. Not only that, but with so many interpretations, each person may have a totally different explanation for the exact same verse. Seems to me the bible started as a story (hey maybe it did all happen) and people took it way too literal. If I tell my children today that they must lick the sidewalk before they are allowed to run, and they do it and teach their friends to do it...eventually this catches on and thousands of years down the road everybody is licking sidewalks as to not disappoint me, I would roll in my grave at the bullshit I started. I do not believe a person is able to resurrect, why hasn't it happened again, even once in thousands of years? Certainly this guy wasn't magical...but that's exactly what religion wants me to believe.
Your post is difficult to read without paragraphs and I'm not sure who you are referring to in some of it (1st sentence, about a man killing himself, etc). The woman you mention was likely giving you an opinion. If it's not written in the Bible I would take it with a grain of salt. It is a lifelong learning process, we are not giving all the information, just what we need. As far as being disappointed in what a professing Christian may say or do, they are human beings. It is not an indictment on God, because we all have limited understanding. But we are told what we need to know for salvation, which is the most important thing.

Christians don't believe in different gods. I have laid out to you the core belief which I'm sure you have heard before. You do sound a little lost and confused. I would urge you to get into the scripture and pray for wisdom and understanding. Ask for a sign.
I'm not lost or confused in the least. Maybe not as articulate as I could be, but I think part of this confusion lies on you too. I understand Christians don't believe in different gods...but other religions do. Looking at the world as a whole with all of these different religions, if there is only one god how do we know which religion got it right? I read the bible all the time and study scripture. Not to enhance my faith, but to strengthen my position as an atheist. Telling an atheist to pray is ridiculous...and I don't expect understanding from some invisible guy. If any understanding comes to me on any subject, it is not the work of some pseudo being, it is because I am perfectly capable of making my own decisions and learning on my own.

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
[+] 2 users Like kellyrm's post
10-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Welcome to the forum new proselytizing dude Smile Also welcome new atheist chick, fancy some Christian baby ? Freshly plucked from the pram...
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
10-03-2013, 12:55 PM
(10-03-2013 12:43 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 12:36 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  Your post is difficult to read without paragraphs and I'm not sure who you are referring to in some of it (1st sentence, about a man killing himself, etc). The woman you mention was likely giving you an opinion. If it's not written in the Bible I would take it with a grain of salt. It is a lifelong learning process, we are not giving all the information, just what we need. As far as being disappointed in what a professing Christian may say or do, they are human beings. It is not an indictment on God, because we all have limited understanding. But we are told what we need to know for salvation, which is the most important thing.

I'm not lost or confused in the least. Maybe not as articulate as I could be, but I think part of this confusion lies on you too. I understand Christians don't believe in different gods...but other religions do. Looking at the world as a whole with all of these different religions, if there is only one god how do we know which religion got it right? I read the bible all the time and study scripture. Not to enhance my faith, but to strengthen my position as an atheist. Telling an atheist to pray is ridiculous...and I don't expect understanding from some invisible guy. If any understanding comes to me on any subject, it is not the work of some pseudo being, it is because I am perfectly capable of making my own decisions and learning on my own.
Why would you read the Bible to strengthen your position as an Atheist? I would think you would just walk away. Sounds like you may be more agnostic or what? Also saying you don't know which religion is correct is not the argument for an Atheist. You are then admitting a belief in a higher power and searching for which one is the truth.

Atheists are converting daily around the world through prayer. You might try it. If you ask for a sign and receive one, at that point you can journey further.
10-03-2013, 12:56 PM
(10-03-2013 12:50 PM)morondog Wrote:  Welcome to the forum new proselytizing dude Smile Also welcome new atheist chick, fancy some Christian baby ? Freshly plucked from the pram...
Thanks, moron (that sounds extremely rude). I actually love that the proselytizing guy has responded. It worked very well into my question and gives everybody an example of the questions I'm being asked on a regular basis. Preciate ya Rolleyes

[+] 1 user Likes kellyrm's post
10-03-2013, 12:58 PM
(10-03-2013 12:55 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 12:43 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  I'm not lost or confused in the least. Maybe not as articulate as I could be, but I think part of this confusion lies on you too. I understand Christians don't believe in different gods...but other religions do. Looking at the world as a whole with all of these different religions, if there is only one god how do we know which religion got it right? I read the bible all the time and study scripture. Not to enhance my faith, but to strengthen my position as an atheist. Telling an atheist to pray is ridiculous...and I don't expect understanding from some invisible guy. If any understanding comes to me on any subject, it is not the work of some pseudo being, it is because I am perfectly capable of making my own decisions and learning on my own.
Why would you read the Bible to strengthen your position as an Atheist? I would think you would just walk away. Sounds like you may be more agnostic or what? Also saying you don't know which religion is correct is not the argument for an Atheist. You are then admitting a belief in a higher power and searching for which one is the truth.

Atheists are converting daily around the world through prayer. You might try it. If you ask for a sign and receive one, at that point you can journey further.

And Christians are deconverting daily by reading the Bible. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
10-03-2013, 01:01 PM
And Muslims and Hindus are just like, standing around saying "WTF's going on with these atheists and Christians ??? They're fucking coverting like crazy here..." Alleluia. Praise Santa.
10-03-2013, 01:03 PM
(10-03-2013 12:58 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 12:55 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  Why would you read the Bible to strengthen your position as an Atheist? I would think you would just walk away. Sounds like you may be more agnostic or what? Also saying you don't know which religion is correct is not the argument for an Atheist. You are then admitting a belief in a higher power and searching for which one is the truth.

And Christians are deconverting daily by reading the Bible. Drinking Beverage
Absolutely. I would love to know that the bible was true and have this magical guidebook for how to live life. It's not that simple. The bible is not the end-all be-all to a happy ending. Your values have to come from yourself and the bible is not the cheat code to success and happiness. While it does promote good morals (almost as much as it demonstrates bad morals), a good foundation of common sense will do the same thing.

10-03-2013, 01:06 PM
(09-03-2013 01:52 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  After letting a few friends and family members know that I don't believe in god, I had an aunt demand that I explain my position to her. It caught me completely off-guard. While I don't have a problem justifying my beliefs, I don't feel like I owe her anything. I simply told her I don't believe in fairy tales and brushed it off. Over the past few months, I've had several other people question me as well. I've already learned that it is impossible to talk to the brainwashing effects of Christianity, so I try to save some effort and ignore the argument altogether. I don't walk up to Christians and demand that they explain their beliefs to me-I simply don't give a shit. Why do Christians (at least the ones I know) feel this sense of superiority that guides them to question my beliefs and demand an explanation? Have any of you been in this situation and have some advice? Sure, I can explain the hypocrisy of the bible and provide scientific explanations, but I know it will do no good. What would you do if encountered with these questions?
Think about it; advertise eternal life as a reward for being stupid, who can possibly resist that is "smart" already? However (and there's always a however in life) the best type to spend time contributing your background to are ones who are curious, not demanding.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]