Do I need to explain myself?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-03-2013, 01:09 PM
RE: Do I need to explain myself?
(10-03-2013 01:03 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 12:58 PM)Chas Wrote:  And Christians are deconverting daily by reading the Bible. Drinking Beverage
Absolutely. I would love to know that the bible was true and have this magical guidebook for how to live life. It's not that simple. The bible is not the end-all be-all to a happy ending. Your values have to come from yourself and the bible is not the cheat code to success and happiness. While it does promote good morals (almost as much as it demonstrates bad morals), a good foundation of common sense will do the same thing.
I don't think the Bible is magical. Maybe you are being flip, maybe not, but that is not an accepted belief to my knowledge. The ending is happy for Christians. The middle kind of stinks because we have to deal with sin, which makes us unhappy. The more we rid that in our lives, the happier we tend to be however.

Common sense sounds great, but in a culture that thinks child rape or cannabalism is okay, where does that common sense get you? Common sense sounds great to you here, because we are living in a Judeo-Christian culture.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2013, 01:09 PM
(10-03-2013 01:06 PM)Matthew Laramore Wrote:  
(09-03-2013 01:52 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  After letting a few friends and family members know that I don't believe in god, I had an aunt demand that I explain my position to her. It caught me completely off-guard. While I don't have a problem justifying my beliefs, I don't feel like I owe her anything. I simply told her I don't believe in fairy tales and brushed it off. Over the past few months, I've had several other people question me as well. I've already learned that it is impossible to talk to the brainwashing effects of Christianity, so I try to save some effort and ignore the argument altogether. I don't walk up to Christians and demand that they explain their beliefs to me-I simply don't give a shit. Why do Christians (at least the ones I know) feel this sense of superiority that guides them to question my beliefs and demand an explanation? Have any of you been in this situation and have some advice? Sure, I can explain the hypocrisy of the bible and provide scientific explanations, but I know it will do no good. What would you do if encountered with these questions?
Think about it; advertise eternal life as a reward for being stupid, who can possibly resist that is "smart" already? However (and there's always a however in life) the best type to spend time contributing your background to are ones who are curious, not demanding.
That is very true. I absolutely love talking to people that are curious about what I've been through during my search for answers and people that are confused themselves. But once you come across somebody that already thinks they know everything, rationality goes out the window.

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
10-03-2013, 01:12 PM
(10-03-2013 01:03 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  While it does promote good morals (almost as much as it demonstrates bad morals), a good foundation of common sense will do the same thing.

The cool thing about most Christians that I know is that they have the common sense not to bother with the really horrible stuff. They really do promote a religion of peace which is no bad thing. The *bad* thing is they promote a religion of suspending-your-critical-thinking too which makes *all* of them vulnerable to woo-mongers and charlatans.

Again though, even those who're deep into it often let their natural intelligence shine through - it's pretty fun to watch actually. I have a really intelligent friend, he's a rational guy but still religious, so he often has a problem with some of the bullshit that gets preached at him. Whenever something really sticks in his craw he's always finding reasons why it's clearly not correct biblically etc. I'm just like "why not can the book? Then you can dispense with a lot of the contortions and arrive at the same result"... so far no joy though Tongue
10-03-2013, 01:15 PM
(10-03-2013 01:12 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 01:03 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  While it does promote good morals (almost as much as it demonstrates bad morals), a good foundation of common sense will do the same thing.

The cool thing about most Christians that I know is that they have the common sense not to bother with the really horrible stuff. They really do promote a religion of peace which is no bad thing. The *bad* thing is they promote a religion of suspending-your-critical-thinking too which makes *all* of them vulnerable to woo-mongers and charlatans.

Again though, even those who're deep into it often let their natural intelligence shine through - it's pretty fun to watch actually. I have a really intelligent friend, he's a rational guy but still religious, so he often has a problem with some of the bullshit that gets preached at him. Whenever something really sticks in his craw he's always finding reasons why it's clearly not correct biblically etc. I'm just like "why not can the book? Then you can dispense with a lot of the contortions and arrive at the same result"... so far no joy though Tongue
example?
10-03-2013, 01:17 PM
(10-03-2013 01:12 PM)morondog Wrote:  Yes!! I used to do that. Instead of accepting that the bible is a joke, I would try to explain how the preacher or pastor just misinterpreted something. I felt like I had to be religious even though I obviously didn't believe a word of it. After years of rolling my eyes and cringing at the hypocrisy, I finally made the plunge and spoke up about my thoughts and lack of beliefs.

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
10-03-2013, 01:17 PM
(10-03-2013 01:09 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 01:06 PM)Matthew Laramore Wrote:  Think about it; advertise eternal life as a reward for being stupid, who can possibly resist that is "smart" already? However (and there's always a however in life) the best type to spend time contributing your background to are ones who are curious, not demanding.
That is very true. I absolutely love talking to people that are curious about what I've been through during my search for answers and people that are confused themselves. But once you come across somebody that already thinks they know everything, rationality goes out the window.
You said you aren't confused, yet you are searching for answers? Also, did you say you were Atheist or Agnostic?
10-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Of what ? The bullshit ? Oh stuff like the prosperity gospel etc. I don't really bother to keep track, it's his life, not mine. But prosperity gospel was his last big thing that he was up in arms about - lots of people over here buy into it (here being South Africa), and it's really a bit of a stinking pile of manure indeed.
10-03-2013, 01:21 PM
(10-03-2013 01:17 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 01:09 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  That is very true. I absolutely love talking to people that are curious about what I've been through during my search for answers and people that are confused themselves. But once you come across somebody that already thinks they know everything, rationality goes out the window.
You said you aren't confused, yet you are searching for answers? Also, did you say you were Atheist or Agnostic?
I didn't say I was searching for answers, I said I liked to talk about what I've been through during that search. Yes, I was confused for a few years and labelled myself as agnostic---feels like a cop out now. But I have been an atheist for 8 years or so. During my time of confusion, I was easily persuaded either way and so overwhelmed with information that it was difficult to interpret. However, after cutting out everybody else's opinions, and truly thinking about it myself, I came to terms with the fact that something I had believed my whole life was simply not feasible.

[+] 1 user Likes kellyrm's post
10-03-2013, 01:22 PM
(10-03-2013 01:18 PM)morondog Wrote:  Of what ? The bullshit ? Oh stuff like the prosperity gospel etc. I don't really bother to keep track, it's his life, not mine. But prosperity gospel was his last big thing that he was up in arms about - lots of people over here buy into it (here being South Africa), and it's really a bit of a stinking pile of manure indeed.
Do you find it Biblical? I don't. Shouldn't that be the test?
10-03-2013, 01:24 PM
(10-03-2013 01:21 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 01:17 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  You said you aren't confused, yet you are searching for answers? Also, did you say you were Atheist or Agnostic?
I didn't say I was searching for answers, I said I liked to talk about what I've been through during that search. Yes, I was confused for a few years and labelled myself as agnostic---feels like a cop out now. But I have been an atheist for 8 years or so. During my time of confusion, I was easily persuaded either way and so overwhelmed with information that it was difficult to interpret. However, after cutting out everybody else's opinions, and truly thinking about it myself, I came to terms with the fact that something I had believed my whole life was simply not feasible.
Not feasible? God is supernatural you know...just saying. Not feasible to me means something from nothing or people from viruses or bacteria or whatever.

What would you say was the tipping point for you?