Do I need to explain myself?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-03-2013, 01:26 PM
RE: Do I need to explain myself?
The point is that Christianity promotes wishful thinking. Finding something biblical or not is not a good test of whether it's a good idea or not. Life after death and devoting yourself to the pursuit of the same is extremely biblical but IMO that's wasting the one life that you do have right now.

The test should be, is this horseshit or not ? And so far, scientific method is pretty good horseshit tester, whereas bible means you have to take people seriously who say shit like "I saw God and he told me to do X". Like maybe, slay all the children of the Amalekites or something.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
10-03-2013, 01:31 PM
fea·si·ble: Likely; probable.

Anyway, I've put on here that I took a religious studies class. That is where major doubts started to come in, but it was hard to accept my thoughts even though everything I was learning or reading increased my disbelief. It was actually when I met the first atheist I had ever met. Seeing that she was not tortured or constantly ridiculed for not believing helped me to accept atheism as an alternative. I think I was actually afraid of letting people know I didn't believe in god because I was afraid I would no longer be accepted (shallow? maybe). But seeing that it was at least semi-acceptable helped me to open up and start conversations about it. This sounds kinda similar to what I would expect a gay person in the closet to experience....?

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
[+] 2 users Like kellyrm's post
10-03-2013, 01:33 PM
(10-03-2013 01:26 PM)morondog Wrote:  The point is that Christianity promotes wishful thinking. Finding something biblical or not is not a good test of whether it's a good idea or not. Life after death and devoting yourself to the pursuit of the same is extremely biblical but IMO that's wasting the one life that you do have right now.

The test should be, is this horseshit or not ? And so far, scientific method is pretty good horseshit tester, whereas bible means you have to take people seriously who say shit like "I saw God and he told me to do X". Like maybe, slay all the children of the Amalekites or something.
My point being prosperity gospel is not Biblical. Are you talking current people or Bible stories? If current people, then they should follow the example of Jesus. The OT was for a specific tribe at a specific time. We are under a new covenant now.

Science can only bring you so far. It does not have the answer for everything. Does science tell you what a human life is worth?
10-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Plenty of people have felt that same similarity with being in-the-closet gay. Pressure to conform... Nasty stuff. But the more people who're openly saying it's bullshit the more the whole house of cards collapses.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
10-03-2013, 01:38 PM
(10-03-2013 01:35 PM)morondog Wrote:  Plenty of people have felt that same similarity with being in-the-closet gay. Pressure to conform... Nasty stuff. But the more people who're openly saying it's bullshit the more the whole house of cards collapses.
Very true. Well I am excited that I can now help knock the cards down. Smile

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
[+] 2 users Like kellyrm's post
10-03-2013, 01:41 PM
(10-03-2013 01:33 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  My point being prosperity gospel is not Biblical.
My point being that that's irrelevant. Is it a good idea or not ? Shall I use either (a) my noggin or (b) my bible to find out? What of the bible says something obscure ? After all the prosperity gospel dudes back it up with bible verses too.

Quote:Science can only bring you so far. It does not have the answer for everything. Does science tell you what a human life is worth?
You're thinking of economics Wink And yes, a human life isn't worth much. American lives are worth more at current market rates but that is expected to change. You can't fuck like rabbits 24/7 and expect the value not to depreciate, that's just daft. If you want me to say that it's infinitely valuable then why is shooting terrorists regarded as OK ?
10-03-2013, 01:50 PM
(10-03-2013 01:41 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 01:33 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  My point being prosperity gospel is not Biblical.
My point being that that's irrelevant. Is it a good idea or not ? Shall I use either (a) my noggin or (b) my bible to find out? What of the bible says something obscure ? After all the prosperity gospel dudes back it up with bible verses too.

Quote:Science can only bring you so far. It does not have the answer for everything. Does science tell you what a human life is worth?
You're thinking of economics Wink And yes, a human life isn't worth much. American lives are worth more at current market rates but that is expected to change. You can't fuck like rabbits 24/7 and expect the value not to depreciate, that's just daft. If you want me to say that it's infinitely valuable then why is shooting terrorists regarded as OK ?
You should use both, meaning you have understanding and don't take things out of context.

Not really economically but metaphysically. Murder gets you jail, so society says there is some worth. Shooting terrorists is debatable. If you accept any value in life and don't believe humans are special, you probably should refrain from wiping your behind lest you commit genocide. If there is no inherent worth as your creed states, why are human rights important at all?
10-03-2013, 01:59 PM
(10-03-2013 01:50 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  You should use both, meaning you have understanding and don't take things out of context.
Justify using the bible. My noggin is in working order. My bible seems like outdated trash.

Quote:If there is no inherent worth as your creed states, why are human rights important at all?
Ah, now you're making assumptions. My creed is my own and not yours, how do you know what it states hmm ? Worth is not a thing of creed anyway - as I said, market value of human life is not set by me, so my opinion of its worth counts diddly squat in the grand scheme of things.

Human rights are important from the pov that we are here and we need to get along. And frankly people telling me what to do pisses me off quite a lot so by analogy I assume most other people feel the same way - I like my freedoms. Building a society where I and others can enjoy those freedoms seems like a good enterprise to me.
10-03-2013, 02:09 PM
(10-03-2013 01:59 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 01:50 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  You should use both, meaning you have understanding and don't take things out of context.
Justify using the bible. My noggin is in working order. My bible seems like outdated trash.

Quote:If there is no inherent worth as your creed states, why are human rights important at all?
Ah, now you're making assumptions. My creed is my own and not yours, how do you know what it states hmm ? Worth is not a thing of creed anyway - as I said, market value of human life is not set by me, so my opinion of its worth counts diddly squat in the grand scheme of things.

Human rights are important from the pov that we are here and we need to get along. And frankly people telling me what to do pisses me off quite a lot so by analogy I assume most other people feel the same way - I like my freedoms. Building a society where I and others can enjoy those freedoms seems like a good enterprise to me.
Market value is nonsense unless you are in the slave trade. I was speaking metaphysically, did you miss that?

Does your creed only assign value to human life as it can be bought or sold?
10-03-2013, 02:14 PM
(10-03-2013 02:09 PM)mrbuddy4413 Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 01:59 PM)morondog Wrote:  Justify using the bible. My noggin is in working order. My bible seems like outdated trash.

Market value is nonsense unless you are in the slave trade. I was speaking metaphysically, did you miss that?

Does your creed only assign value to human life as it can be bought or sold?
I wanna jump in on this one, too. Of course the value of human life isn't based on how much they can be bought and sold for...theoretically. But in assuming the value of human life, especially according to religion, it is obvious that not all lives are valued the same. Children are starving, women are beaten, people are murdered. None of that is okay, but what about the instances when it is acceptable? People have killed in the name of religion...that was okay? According to your bible and the acceptance of these actions, those lives were not valuable-even metaphysically.