Do I need to explain myself?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
11-03-2013, 05:28 AM
RE: Do I need to explain myself?
(10-03-2013 10:11 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I love college for this reason (among others). College is the first time that many people have a chance to get exposure to different opinions, and that's when they start to question if they were right or wrong all along. Plus, they don't have the home indoctrination anymore (unless they're commuting from home or enrolled in online courses).

Also, if you're lucky, college teaches you philosophy. I've taken two courses in ethics and one in logic, and I imagine they were less of a struggle for me than for my Christian classmates.
Yeah, I was mostly lucky. I couldn't take the ethics course regularly, but the philosophy course really gave me some mental instruments to cut through lots of crap.

I also haven't seen a Christian there yet. Only lots and lots of Libertarians. I think they're an ideology too. Some of the more hardcore ones like Ayn Rand! But mostly Ludwig von Mises. You know the intuitive thing I have, I can "smell the truth". That is, I can tell if a statement is or isn't foolproof. Ideologies like Libertarianism aren't foolproof, far from it. But that's just the dean's hobby, he's an economist. The students could get an opposing opinion easily enough if they listened to the philosophy or ethics professors.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2013, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2013 06:39 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Do I need to explain myself?
(11-03-2013 05:28 AM)Luminon Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 10:11 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  I love college for this reason (among others). College is the first time that many people have a chance to get exposure to different opinions, and that's when they start to question if they were right or wrong all along. Plus, they don't have the home indoctrination anymore (unless they're commuting from home or enrolled in online courses).

Also, if you're lucky, college teaches you philosophy. I've taken two courses in ethics and one in logic, and I imagine they were less of a struggle for me than for my Christian classmates.
Yeah, I was mostly lucky. I couldn't take the ethics course regularly, but the philosophy course really gave me some mental instruments to cut through lots of crap.

I also haven't seen a Christian there yet. Only lots and lots of Libertarians. I think they're an ideology too. Some of the more hardcore ones like Ayn Rand! But mostly Ludwig von Mises. You know the intuitive thing I have, I can "smell the truth". That is, I can tell if a statement is or isn't foolproof. Ideologies like Libertarianism aren't foolproof, far from it. But that's just the dean's hobby, he's an economist. The students could get an opposing opinion easily enough if they listened to the philosophy or ethics professors.

That's not a nose for smelling truth, Luminosity. You can't learn to smell truth. That requires paper and pencil and consideration and derivation. What you can smell however is bullshit. It's got a distinctive odor. That's what you're describing.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Can someone explain... smileXsmileXsmile 18 434 21-07-2014 09:39 AM
Last Post: atheistsince1950
  Trying To Explain Differences Between Faith, Science, Laws And Theories WindyCityJazz 5 116 20-07-2014 07:27 AM
Last Post: goodwithoutgod
  How do you explain this to a Christian? Shadow Fox 17 382 03-05-2014 09:09 PM
Last Post: Minimalist
  how can i explain this? sophonian 17 440 07-04-2014 07:55 AM
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Can a believer explain the justice of the original sins curses? Reltzik 61 1,623 23-12-2013 10:20 AM
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Reasoned faith? Please explain BlackMason 27 805 21-12-2013 07:24 PM
Last Post: Hafnof
  How do you explain death to a child? J-Hova 24 509 15-11-2013 08:05 AM
Last Post: WitchSabrina