Do Jews ever read the New Testament?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
23-07-2017, 02:19 PM
Do Jews ever read the New Testament?
I thought I would canvas this point after seeing a video where Israelis were asked in the street what they thought about Jesus.

Most of them replied that they knew he was the central figure in Christianity but didn't have any knowledge about him or what he taught.

It occurred to me that a lot of talk on here which is heavily critical of Christianity in its evangelical manifestation assumes that Christians accept the Old Testament as being as much a part of their religion as the New Testament. They then suggest that when fundamentalists quote from the Old Testament referring to exhortations to beat slaves that this is Christian teaching.

I grew up going to church and have lived in a Christian society for 57 years. I've never heard any Christian suggest that the Old Testament stands on a par with the New Testament.

The Old Testament begins with Adam and Eve whose sons, in order to have families, must have had sex with their own sisters. Cain then murdered his own brother. Thereafter, the people of the Old Testament, up until Abraham, engaged in ritual sacrifice of their own children. The Old Testament recounts the history of a people who reaked revenge on their enemies, as in Psalm 137 by killing children:
"8 O daughter of Babylon, who art to be destroyed; happy shall he be, that rewardeth thee as thou hast served us.
9 Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones."

The whole of the OT is replete with atrocities, treachery and violence. God spends most of his time meting out punishments to these people by way of all manner of pestilence, plagues, famines and natural disasters. He is so disgusted with them, that he eventually wipes them out with a flood, and the only survivor is a drunkard called Noah. The whole civilization collapses into the dust because it is so corrupt and the Romans have to take over and they wait for a messiah to come and sort the mess out.

Christians universally see the OT as a portrayal of a wayward, debauched and sinful people who only occasionally rise above the level of animalistic behaviour towards one another and have to be routinely punished and told to abandon their barbaric practices.

Christianity is supposed to be the answer to this with God coming to earth in human form and telling these people that it is only the meek and the poor who will be accepted into heaven. Jesus preaches tolerance and love to one another. It's the antithesis of the Old Testament.

I just wonder whether there is a perception of Christianity, on the outside, particularly in Judaism, as just a strange religion with a silly story about someone being raised from the dead, and, as a "sect" of Judaism, not really any different in substance from Judaism.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2017, 01:20 AM
RE: Do Jews ever read the New Testament?
Again, I think you're severely over-generalizing or over-estimating the proportion of Christianity that views the OT as you do. It does tend to be secondary to the NT, to be sure, but it still makes some important doctrinal contributions for many Christians. The Ten Commandments, which almost all Christians uphold, are in the OT, as is the prohibition of homosexuality, which may not be as popular as the Decalogue, but it is still far more popular than it should be. And of course, there would likely be no creationist movement without the story of Noah's Ark. Finally, there's also at least one passage (Matthew 5:17-18) in which Jesus re-affirms the Mosaic law rather than canceling it.

In any case, it may interest you to know that there is such a thing as Messianic Judaism.

The only sacred truth in science is that there are no sacred truths. – Carl Sagan
Sōla vēritās sancta in philosophiā nātūrālī est absentia vēritātum sanctārum.
Ἡ μόνη ἱερᾱ̀ ἀληθείᾱ ἐν φυσικῇ φιλοσοφίᾳ ἐστίν ἡ ἱερῶν ἀληθειῶν σπάνις.
[+] 1 user Likes Glossophile's post
24-07-2017, 04:42 AM
Why this duplicate thread, anyway?
24-07-2017, 05:16 AM
(24-07-2017 04:42 AM)mordant Wrote:  Why this duplicate thread, anyway?

One is the Old Thread, the other is the New Thread.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
24-07-2017, 05:21 AM
(24-07-2017 05:16 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(24-07-2017 04:42 AM)mordant Wrote:  Why this duplicate thread, anyway?

One is the Old Thread, the other is the New Thread.
Do Jews read the New Thread?

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post