Do Jews ever read the New Testament?

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.33 Average
23-07-2017, 06:42 PM
RE: Do Jews ever read the New Testament?
(23-07-2017 06:39 PM)TSG Wrote:  
(23-07-2017 06:37 PM)ImFred Wrote:  This is probably the most idiotic thread idea I've ever come across.

Be honest, everyone -- am I coming across as a jerk? That wasn't and isn't my intention and I can stop.

It's not your thread.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2017, 06:42 PM
(23-07-2017 06:39 PM)TSG Wrote:  
(23-07-2017 06:37 PM)ImFred Wrote:  This is probably the most idiotic thread idea I've ever come across.

Be honest, everyone -- am I coming across as a jerk? That wasn't and isn't my intention and I can stop.

I think you regrouped well when you talked with Aliza. Good on ya! Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
23-07-2017, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 23-07-2017 06:47 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(23-07-2017 05:34 PM)TSG Wrote:  I'm not sure about [Paul] being "an uneducated cunt," as you so elegantly put it. I mean, he wasn't just some random nobody who didn't understand Judaism: he said he was a Pharisee originally. Admittedly, that may be false, since the only source we have for that is the NT.

I doubt there was a Paul. Why would Jews, who commented on almost everything, not have mentioned that one of the very few selected to study with Gamaliel had "converted". The journeys cannot have happened the way they are claimed, as they contradict themselves. The Pauls in Acts have at least 2 distinct philosophies.
http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/paul.htm
http://oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies/rlst-152

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
23-07-2017, 06:44 PM
(23-07-2017 06:42 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
(23-07-2017 06:39 PM)TSG Wrote:  Be honest, everyone -- am I coming across as a jerk? That wasn't and isn't my intention and I can stop.

It's not your thread.

What? This is a younger member of the forum trying to learn.

Reel in your attitude a little. It's not helpful.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
23-07-2017, 06:44 PM
(23-07-2017 06:42 PM)ImFred Wrote:  
(23-07-2017 06:39 PM)TSG Wrote:  Be honest, everyone -- am I coming across as a jerk? That wasn't and isn't my intention and I can stop.

It's not your thread.

Blink O-okay?

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes TSG's post
23-07-2017, 06:47 PM
Maybe I read it wrong, but I took the "it's not your thread" to mean - you're not responsible for it being the stupidest thread *idea* I've come across because you didn't start/create it.

How I read it, anyway. Obviously, can't speak for the person who said it.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
23-07-2017, 06:49 PM
(23-07-2017 06:44 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(23-07-2017 06:42 PM)ImFred Wrote:  It's not your thread.

What? This is a younger member of the forum trying to learn.

Shocking Did Anjele just come to my defense?

But to be honest, I'll only count as the "teen skeptic" for a few more months (unless 18 and 19 count).

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
23-07-2017, 06:49 PM
It's a perfectly legitimate question, and a great thread.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-07-2017, 06:51 PM
(23-07-2017 06:49 PM)TSG Wrote:  
(23-07-2017 06:44 PM)Anjele Wrote:  What? This is a younger member of the forum trying to learn.

Shocking Did Anjele just come to my defense?

But to be honest, I'll only count as the "teen skeptic" for a few more months (unless 18 and 19 count).

Twice, I did.

Pick your jaw up off the floor.

I can see that you are more mature than you were.

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
23-07-2017, 06:51 PM
(23-07-2017 06:21 PM)TSG Wrote:  
(23-07-2017 06:04 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I'm allowed to own a baseball bat. If I own a baseball bat because that's my sport of choice, I've committed no crime and I have only purchased and used the item as it was intended. If someone comes and steals it and then bludgeons someone to death, I'm not responsible. I can't stop living my life because other people might misuse my belongings.

At the end of the day, call me a pedant, but a baseball bat is simply not equivalent to a religion in an analogy. Not only does the comparison have an inherently negative connotation (believing something different = bludgeoning to death?), but it assumes a 'proper' way of doing things: swinging the bat at a ball.

Judaism, like any religion, has sects with different interpretations and values from one another, so comparing another emerging belief to an improperly used bat implies that there is an actually proper way to use it. Which way would that be? Orthodox? Reform? Pharisee? Sadducee? Essene? Original, literalist, stone-people-who-work-on-the-Sabbath-ism?

Speaking strictly from a Jewish perspective, the way you use the Torah (ie: baseball bat) properly is by not murdering people for thinking differently than you do. We can have a whole conversation about the wars that were depicted in early Jewish biblical stories, but bear in mind that we wrote the book, and we teach it according to what the Talmud says. We teach that those wars were not ideological but because of horrible behavior like wanton disregard of human life and human dignity. ALL civilizations at the time were fighting each other. Jews fought wars because we thought people were acting like barbarians. Christians fought wars because they didn't like the deity that other people believed in. To a Jewish audience, these are totally different.

This is a really big conversation, and an argument could also be made that the Jewish wars that were written about were just the Jews blowing smoke up everyone's asses to scare them into believing that they were more powerful than they actually were. We do tend to be more clever than physically strong. Tongue