Do Jews ever read the New Testament?

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.33 Average
24-07-2017, 08:20 AM
RE: Do Jews ever read the New Testament?
(24-07-2017 08:13 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I don’t think Jesus would have been anyone’s idea of a messiah at the time. I don’t think any of the OT writers when conceiving of a messiah, even as a hint, would have imagined Jesus as him. I’m sure that a classical imagination revolved around a quasi-military commander, a violent revolutionary, etc...

But I blame that on their lack of imagination. I imagine those writers as human as the rest of us, perhaps with some hint of something greater to come, which they couldn’t grasp in its entirety.

That lack of imagination extends to modern Jews like Aliza, who can’t even begin to envision what a Jewish messiah of today would even look like.

I personally don’t care whether Aliza or you or anyone else, including the OT writers would have thought of Jesus as the Messiah. To me, he’s the only being worthy of being called, the savior, the messiah, God himself. If he’s not, than there is no God, just imposters and pretenders.

For Aliza this is blasphemy, a victimless sin, that not even her own idea of God cares about, because all he cares about is what we do, not what we believe according to her.

So you open with the fact that the writers of the old testament where human, just like you and me, yet expect them/the bible as a whole to know what a messiah even is and how to define it? How in fucks names can somebody be your be-all-end-all if the very definition of what he is/what he represents is up for debate? Surely if humans wrote the bloody thing, it's all from fiction or tales they've heard and re-written to suite a new religion? They weren't inspired by anybody/anything. God wasn't in the back laying on a chaise longue dictating what to write down for fucks sake.

Also, why is god a man? I know "cause it says in the bible" but if we're getting onto the point that it's written by humans, and has errors in it, then why is god a man?

And also also, wasn't Jesus himself Jewish? (if he existed by the way), so whats the point of being a christian, if JESUS [the person you praise and follow] was JEWISH himself? Surely that says something? I mean really, if jesus was the son of god, or even the humanly form of god himself, and he was a JEW....surely that's makes Judaism the "right" religion?

Also Also Also: Blasphemy is taking the lords name in vain. His/her NAME, not god or anything, it'd be saying "bloody Yahweh" or "bloody Jehovah". You get the idea.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-07-2017, 08:31 AM
Sometimes it's fun to get to a party late and see the furniture flipped over, broken bottles and blood everywhere, and the place on fire. For example, this thread.
[+] 3 users Like jerry mcmasters's post
24-07-2017, 08:47 AM
(24-07-2017 08:31 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  Sometimes it's fun to get to a party late and see the furniture flipped over, broken bottles and blood everywhere, and the place on fire. For example, this thread.

Could you please state your ethnicity and religious affiliation?

I want to figure out who does and doesn't read this thread.
24-07-2017, 09:31 AM
(23-07-2017 03:11 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(23-07-2017 02:21 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I thought I would canvas this point after seeing a video where Israelis were asked in the street what they thought about Jesus.

Most of them replied that they knew he was the central figure in Christianity but didn't have any knowledge about him or what he taught.

Judaism has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity. That being the case, Jews do not ever read the NT. Christianity is not seen as a sect of Judaism, it's not an authorized offshoot, and it's not regarded as a "sibling" religion. Jews do not see themselves as being connected to Christianity in any way.

If you want to understand Judaism, the first step would be to throw out everything you understand about Christianity and learn from Jews from the ground up.

(23-07-2017 02:21 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  "8 O daughter of Babylon, who art to be destroyed; happy shall he be, that rewardeth thee as thou hast served us.
9 Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones."

Properly translated and taken in context to the historical events going on at the time (as recorded in Jewish texts), this verse says, "Hey Babylonains, if you want to sacrifice human babies to your deity, why don't you sacrifice your own babies instead of kidnapping and sacrificing ours?" It's not encouraging the Babylonians to commit infanticide, it's challenging them to view human sacrifice from a different perspective.

I haven't read the whole thread Aliza, but I think Lewis Black kinda nailed it. He's sooo funny....to me anyway.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
24-07-2017, 09:45 AM
(24-07-2017 08:13 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I don’t think Jesus would have been anyone’s idea of a messiah at the time. I don’t think any of the OT writers when conceiving of a messiah, even as a hint, would have imagined Jesus as him. I’m sure that a classical imagination revolved around a quasi-military commander, a violent revolutionary, etc...

But I blame that on their lack of imagination. I imagine those writers as human as the rest of us, perhaps with some hint of something greater to come, which they couldn’t grasp in its entirety.

That lack of imagination extends to modern Jews like Aliza, who can’t even begin to envision what a Jewish messiah of today would even look like.

See? They think we're stupid. We were "too stupid to recognize our own 'messiah'".
24-07-2017, 09:54 AM
(24-07-2017 09:45 AM)Aliza Wrote:  See? They think we're stupid. We were "too stupid to recognize our own 'messiah'".

Yep, "you wouldn't know a messiah if he painted himself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing 'The Messiahs Are Here Again.'

Sorry, I just had to Blush

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
24-07-2017, 09:58 AM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2017 10:01 AM by Tomasia.)
(24-07-2017 09:45 AM)Aliza Wrote:  

See? They think we're stupid. We were "too stupid to recognize our own 'messiah'".

He’s not your messiah, a point you’ve acknowledged multiple times already. Clearly he doesn’t fit you description of your messiah, and possibly not even the MO of the Old Testament writers.

He’s the messiah of humanity. The savior of the world, whether you or other Jews, including the OT writers saw him or not.

You can continue waiting on your yet to come messiah. But Christ is only being I’d ever call messiah, lord, and God. He may have stemmed out of a Jewish community, grown among the old books, but he’s more than that, far greater then the sum of his preceding parts.

A messiah who appears tomorrow on the scene offering what amounts to a political solution, is no one of significance to me, it’s the one that speaks to the heart, to the soul, the spiritual nature of humanity, that i would ever afford that title of savior too.

You don’t need to share my beliefs, but don’t you for minute think that only you can lay claim to it.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
24-07-2017, 10:07 AM
(24-07-2017 09:58 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  He’s not your messiah

You're preaching this shit to a Jewish woman? What the hell's the matter with you. Give it a break, will ya?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
24-07-2017, 10:07 AM
(24-07-2017 08:13 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I personally don’t care whether Aliza or you or anyone else, including the OT writers would have thought of Jesus as the Messiah. To me, he’s the only being worthy of being called, the savior, the messiah, God himself. If he’s not, than there is no God, just imposters and pretenders.

Nice try there sport. Fail again.
YOU have told us in the past you don't even need no frikin' Jebus for you to be a Christian and Christianity to be true.

You really should keep a log of your lies, for consultation purposes. Big Grin
No one really cares if you decide to make up your own little definitions and make up your own little religion, (which clearly you have done).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
24-07-2017, 10:24 AM
(24-07-2017 10:07 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(24-07-2017 09:58 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  He’s not your messiah

You're preaching this shit to a Jewish woman? What the hell's the matter with you. Give it a break, will ya?

I’m not preaching anything to her. I merely reiterated her very own statements in the past. If anything it’s her telling me that she’s the exclusive owner of the OT, and the very idea of messiah, and that’s us Christians can’t lay claim to it as well.

In fact unlike other Christians I can even concede that her perspective on what the early Jewish community, the OT writers would have imagined as a messiah, is likely accurate. And that this picture would be quite unlike a portrait of Christ.

All I’ve done is stated, that I hold it as true, that Christ is the messiah, God himself, the truth, the way and the life, regardless if his Jewish forbearers envisioned his arrival or not. She needs not believe in him, but I would never believe in her idea either, of the one that’s yet to come, because Christ is sufficient for me. That no truth will ever supersede his.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."