Do Not Track Me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2012, 05:07 PM
RE: Do Not Track Me
(28-12-2012 04:51 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  All sales are final.
And you stay empty handed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Why? Got something to hide?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
29-12-2012, 05:18 AM
not like TTA tracks your activity outside this site. here it is about who is online and in what forumsection they are. And when you look under the quickreply box, you also see "user(s) browsing this thread:" that is all. That's not very private or so.
If they'd track me down to every site that would be a problem for me.
Yeah, I got somehting to hide, my privacy. But honestly this forum is not something very private to me.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-12-2012, 06:43 AM
(29-12-2012 05:18 AM)Leela Wrote:  not like TTA tracks your activity outside this site. here it is about who is online and in what forumsection they are. And when you look under the quickreply box, you also see "user(s) browsing this thread:" that is all. That's not very private or so.
If they'd track me down to every site that would be a problem for me.
Yeah, I got somehting to hide, my privacy. But honestly this forum is not something very private to me.
I'd say, since you are obviously eluding to Google, that they have the right to log your information. Why? They host the millions of sites people regularly go to, and they host the billions of ads on those sites. The remedial amount of information websites log, like your I.P address and, subsequently, your global location, could not possibly reveal anything private about you. You allow your video games like LoL more access to your ports than any website would have.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
29-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Logica, I know that. Point is, that those websites and games have so much traffic that they will not filter one of the Billions of clickstreams, every hour. They have no reason to, all they want, is statistics.
If a tiny website like this, would do such a thing, and I would know about it, I would not visit it anymore or at least not via my ip.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
29-12-2012, 11:53 AM
(29-12-2012 10:23 AM)Leela Wrote:  Logica, I know that. Point is, that those websites and games have so much traffic that they will not filter one of the Billions of clickstreams, every hour. They have no reason to, all they want, is statistics.
If a tiny website like this, would do such a thing, and I would know about it, I would not visit it anymore or at least not via my ip.
The only way this site could track what you are doing is with a trojan, which I would know about since my PC is locked up tighter than Fort Knox.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
29-12-2012, 09:21 PM
(29-12-2012 11:53 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  The only way this site could track what you are doing is with a trojan, which I would know about since my PC is locked up tighter than Fort Knox.

So where did DoNotTrackMe find those 2 trackers??
29-12-2012, 09:47 PM
These guys are trying to sell you a product, so don't be too quick to accept their analysis Wink
At a glance it looks like they are just counting your cookies. A cookie is a piece of information that a web site asks your computer to store for them and present back to the web site next time you click a page. Cookies are usually used to ensure that you don't have to log in every time you click a new page within the site, but can be used for other purposes such as storing user options or in some cases for tracking purposes.

My chrome browser tells me tta is storing the following (if you're using chrome, the URL to see this stuff is chrome://chrome/settings/cookies):
thethinkingatheist.com: 11 cookies, __unam, __utma, __utmb, __utmc, __utmz, loginattempts, mybb[lastactive], mybb[lastvisit], mybbuser, sid, use_dmv
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com: 1 cookie, tapatalk_redirect4
I won't post the content of these cookies as some would allow you to bypass my username and password entry if I did Wink Hrrm... if we're using session ids here shouldn't ssl be mandatory? Anyhow.

So the analysis:
The __unam and __utm cookies appear to be part of google analytics. This is a google product that helps web site owners to keep track of how users are using their site, how much time people are spending doing various tasks etc. It is primarily targeted at commercial ventures who are trying to optimise how many sales they make, but can be used for more general purposes and to help understand things like what the user demographics are. It looks to me like these might be main thing to object to in the cookies list. This is a very widely used product though.
The mybb cookies, loginattempts, sid, and use_dmv all appear to be data stored by the bulletin board software that the forum uses and store fairly inane details.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
31-12-2012, 12:02 PM
(28-12-2012 04:46 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  All that may be, but you're still missing out on the inherent fun in selling souls. Drinking Beverage
I thought atheists believed that we don't have souls. Huh

God's invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

blog
31-12-2012, 12:10 PM
(31-12-2012 12:02 PM)theophilus Wrote:  
(28-12-2012 04:46 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  All that may be, but you're still missing out on the inherent fun in selling souls. Drinking Beverage
I thought atheists believed that we don't have souls. Huh

Yes - that's what makes it so much fun. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post