Do Other Westerners Really Hate Americans?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2016, 09:57 AM
RE: Do Other Westerners Really Hate Americans?
(11-05-2016 09:45 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 08:22 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  OK, that would make more sense, but my initial impression was that the text below the photo was added by the person who posted it. It wasn't clear that he was complaining about the text rather than the photo. If that's the case, no problem.

He is the one who added the text.

Then I'm back to being confused. Why hate on people who are proud of being what they are? Unless there's some context that I'm missing...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2016, 10:08 AM
(11-05-2016 09:45 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 08:22 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  OK, that would make more sense, but my initial impression was that the text below the photo was added by the person who posted it. It wasn't clear that he was complaining about the text rather than the photo. If that's the case, no problem.

He is the one who added the text.

I guess you are right; I thought it was part of the image but now that I look at the actual coding it was added in the post. I withdraw any support for it.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
11-05-2016, 10:09 AM
(11-05-2016 09:57 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Then I'm back to being confused. Why hate on people who are proud of being what they are? Unless there's some context that I'm missing...
Well, perhaps it's because he thinks that being Muslim is nothing to be proud of and that their religion is fundamentally incompatible with Western society. Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
11-05-2016, 11:12 AM
(11-05-2016 10:09 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 09:57 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Then I'm back to being confused. Why hate on people who are proud of being what they are? Unless there's some context that I'm missing...
Well, perhaps it's because he thinks that being Muslim is nothing to be proud of and that their religion is fundamentally incompatible with Western society. Consider

That's no reason to hate them, though, or to tell them to get out. That would be like telling Italian or Irish Catholic immigrants to go back to their own countries if they want to be Catholic. I don't know, maybe people actually did that back in the day, but if so, it was bigoted -- just like this is.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
11-05-2016, 11:14 AM
The answer to the title of the thread is simple, yes and no, depends on which individual you ask.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-05-2016, 12:23 PM
(10-05-2016 09:03 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  If we're going down the foreign soil dependency route allow me to jump in.
How's Puerto Rico's financial situation? Or voting rights situation for that matter.
And of course, how's that Cuban torture working out for you?

The Cuban thing? Better than it used to, could be better....especially if we closed it, but the same folks who deny science exists are also terrified of letting accused terrorists into mainland prisons (they had no issue with McVeigh in the 90s though, when he blew up a federal building). But the Gitmo they show on the news isn't actually the Gitmo that gets used. These days the facility is better than any mainland U.S. prison in terms of the cells, amenities, etc. Or so someone who served there as a lawyer tells me...sadly there's even a gift shop for people stationed there and visiting Congresscritters. (However on the flip side, tons more chance of being tortured by the CIA, one assumes, than in a mainland prison.) What we continue to do there is a national disgrace.

As for Puerto Rico, you'll notice it's the same folks who deny climate change who don't want to lift a finger financially to stabilize things. If you want to go for things that are a bit more troubling inside the actual continental U.S., rather than a territory:
1) The pro-democracy and anti-banking protesters in D.C. have produced more arrests than any since the Vietnam War in the past few weeks. I've had to read about it in foreign media, because the U.S. major networks haven't mentioned it.
2) Recently it was discovered that 80% of Chicago Police Department patrol cars had their dash cameras sabotaged so audio couldn't be recorded, the culprits were police officers.
3) Our citizens in Washington D.C. only have a shadow representative in Congress that has no power; their license plates rightfully read "Taxation without representation". Rounding up, there are 659,000 citizens we effectively disenfranchise to an extent, living there.
4) Something like 6 out of the huge field of GOP candidates tried to claim legitimacy by saying God directly spoke to them and told them to run for President; 1 of those 6 subscribes to Dominionist theology where he believes that Christ commands him to make America into an actual Evangelical theocracy.

(10-05-2016 11:14 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  No, you're right; the government is going some absolutely monstrous things, that's a part of the innumerable things wrong with this damn country.

But at least we don't have elected officials using snowballs to disprove climate change, and we are yet to employ flying death-bots. Thumbsup

Thanks, not something I want to be right about though. And for all the things your politicians do, your snowball and drones raise the excellent point that I'd trade most of ours for yours, but you can keep former Prime Minister Tony Abbott...in fact, I'd rather insist upon it. He'd do too well with the folks we have in power now.

And yeah...our politicians and climate change amaze me in a horrified way. A generation ago, scientists warned about the danger to the ozone layer and we cleaned up our act a great deal...now you warn people about climate change, have islands actually being submerged in the Pacific Ocean, and it's decried as "liberal propaganda".

As for the drones, the less said, the better. I was listening to a report last night on NPR where a guest who represents the family of drone strike victims was saying you have to posthumously "prove" you weren't a militant, because the Obama administration counts any male capable of picking up a gun as being a terrorist in the strikes.

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
11-05-2016, 02:00 PM
I don't care enough about USA to hate Americans. I reserve my loathing for my own nation.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
11-05-2016, 02:56 PM
(10-05-2016 01:02 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 04:46 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  All of that is true, except free healthcare and the environment. The only time you get something for "free" is when you are really buying it, or they want you to buy something else much more expensive.
I take my kids to the doctors for free, no charge.

If you give a blowjob to the doctor in exchange for this privilege, this is also considered payment. Check and mate.

11-05-2016, 07:36 PM
(11-05-2016 02:56 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 01:02 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I take my kids to the doctors for free, no charge.

If you give a blowjob to the doctor in exchange for this privilege, this is also considered payment. Check and mate.
That was thoroughly unexpected.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
12-05-2016, 04:05 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2016 04:09 PM by Sam.)
I think people in the UK look at America slightly perplexed, and wonder why do you get so excited and yell "woo" and "yeah" at things like hearing someone say the name of your home town?

Like this...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]