Poll: Do Sports People Deserve Their Pay?
Yes
No
I can see both sides
I have no idea, hell, I don't even know why I'm voting
[Show Results]

Do Sports People Deserve Their Pay?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Do Sports People Deserve Their Pay?
I'm talking about top, professional sports men and women here. People like David Beckham who are on several hundred thousand pounds a week.

I'm posting this because I'm always hearing people complain about how much footballers get paid. Constants comments along the lines of 'its unfair that footballers get paid so much just to do their hobby' or 'its ridiculous that people get paid so much just to kick a ball round for 90 minutes a week'. I, personally, disagree with these people. That makes me the only person I've ever met who thinks the majority of sport stars do deserve their astronomically high salaries.

I think this for several reasons. Firstly, these people have to live in constant media limelight. Everything they do is scrutinised by the media, they have to conduct themselves in a near-perfect fashion 24-7 or risk appearing on the front of all the papers and being disciplined by their clubs. Secondly, sport is not a hobby to a professional sports person, it's a career. As such it must be viewed as a career. Top sports people are literally amongst the best in the world in their fields of business. When you look at academic professions, the leading world people tend to have very high pay in a lot of cases and I don't see why sports should be any different. Thirdly (and I feel the most compelling reason), they generate huge amounts of money for their clubs. I'd estimate a top Premiership footballer could easily generate in excess of £100,000 a week for his club when you take into account gate receipts, merchandising, prize money for tournaments he helps to win, club sponsorship and advertising deals which are dependent on big name players playing for the club etc.

All in all rather than someone who plays a game for fun and gets paid huge sums of money for it you have something rather different. Someone who is not only in maybe the top 50 people in the world in his field but who also generates six-figure sums for his team on a weekly basis. They also have to deal with constant media attention and we all know the media do not adhere to 'innocent til proven guilty', they will openly condemn someone based on practically no evidence. On top of this they have to keep themselves in perfect physical condition as opposed to most professions where you don't have to worry about that.

Most of us here either have jobs or have had jobs in the past. If you were in a job where it was a widely known fact that you were in the top 50 people on the planet at your profession, and you also knew that you earned your company a six-figure sum every week, and you had very little privacy due to constant media attention because of your job, would you accept a £30,000 a year salary? Or would you expect a great deal more?

Anyone else got any opinions?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
15-02-2012, 07:00 PM
RE: Do Sports People Deserve Their Pay?
As a society we value our entertainers (sports, actors, comedians, etc) way too much. Do they deserve their pay? Yes, if that's what the market will pay. Should we value them enough that they receive the large pay roll, not in my opinion. Case in point look at all the press given to Whitney Houston's death. Why does society care more about her than they do about a non-celebrity people that die every day and contributed a hell of a lot more to society.

It seems to me we should rate our police officers, firefighters, and service people much higher and pay them accordingly.

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not
[+] 5 users Like free2011's post
15-02-2012, 09:46 PM
(15-02-2012 07:00 PM)free2011 Wrote:  As a society we value our entertainers (sports, actors, comedians, etc) way too much. Do they deserve their pay? Yes, if that's what the market will pay. Should we value them enough that they receive the large pay roll, not in my opinion. Case in point look at all the press given to Whitney Houston's death. Why does society care more about her than they do about a non-celebrity people that die every day and contributed a hell of a lot more to society.

It seems to me we should rate our police officers, firefighters, and service people much higher and pay them accordingly.

The reason this isn't done is simply because we don't tax the wealthy the way we should. There is absolutely no way to stop them from making a ton of money, but we can make them pay their fair share at the end of the year. The problem with this idea is that the American citizens have been brainwashed into thinking that they too will someday be rich.
[+] 3 users Like mysticjbyrd's post
16-02-2012, 12:41 AM
(15-02-2012 07:00 PM)free2011 Wrote:  As a society we value our entertainers (sports, actors, comedians, etc) way too much. Do they deserve their pay? Yes, if that's what the market will pay.

We value them because they are rare, just as we value nearly every rare thing on our planet. Why don't we hear about dying firefighters and police? Because there are so many of them that at least one dies every day (maybe and maybe not, I'm just guessing at a probable figure). We can't possibly learn all their names, and so we won't gain a personal connection of any sort with them... and a personal connection is generally a good reason to feel grief over the loss of a fellow human being.

But you answered your own question, anyway. The market decides that a single football game brings in millions of dollars, and so owners (who still make millions after this decision) share those millions with the players. The high pay is what ensures that those who can play well do end up playing, and nobody "falls through the cracks" and wastes their talent. How can you object to someone else getting paid well for holding a rare talent (that was, according to Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers, the end-product of 10,000 hours or more of practice)? Jealousy, I guess.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
16-02-2012, 01:11 AM
These athletes have fought their way to where they are. They are Jedi masters. It is not a hobby, it is most of their life. Thousands dream to be in their shoes, with their talents, skills and opportunities. They have fought thousands to be there. And hundreds more capitalize on THEIR hard work.

I don't think it's so black and white. Yes, other heroic occupations SHOULD get more money and more recognition, but that doesn't mean the athletes worked any less. Would they have worked that hard to be there if there wasn't any money? It's a huge motivator, and if nothing is motivating people to be the top athlete in whatever genre, then people wouldn't be as excited to watch that sport when they know it's just mediocre and there are no bets on the best. Competition is fierce and it's in our nature.
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
16-02-2012, 09:02 AM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2012 09:11 AM by Peterkin.)
A society of perpetual adolescents overvalues adults who make a vocation of leisure activities: play-acting, joking and games; that society enjoys watching contenders claw and fight and bleed and sweat their way up the hierarchy of useless endeavour and weep like infants when most of them, inevitably, lose.
A society that's regressed even further, to monsters under the bed and potty-humour, will pay to see horror movies and freak[aka reality]shows - the grosser the better.

There is no "market". There are hucksters and rubes.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 2 users Like Peterkin's post
16-02-2012, 09:15 AM
(16-02-2012 09:02 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  A society of perpetual adolescents overvalues adults who make a vocation of leisure activities: play-acting, joking and games; that society enjoys watching contenders claw and fight and bleed and sweat their way up the hierarchy of useless endeavour and weep like infants when most of them, inevitably, lose.
A society that's regressed even further, to monsters under the bed and potty-humour, will pay to see horror movies and freak[aka reality]shows - the grosser the better.

There is no "market". There are hucksters and rubes.

Sorry, I've been caught out by the terminology here (I'm guessing it's local slang?).

What are 'hucksters' and 'rubes'?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
16-02-2012, 09:37 AM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2012 09:39 AM by germanyt.)
(15-02-2012 09:46 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  The reason this isn't done is simply because we don't tax the wealthy the way we should. There is absolutely no way to stop them from making a ton of money, but we can make them pay their fair share at the end of the year. The problem with this idea is that the American citizens have been brainwashed into thinking that they too will someday be rich.

[Image: picard-facepalm.jpg]
(15-02-2012 07:00 PM)free2011 Wrote:  As a society we value our entertainers (sports, actors, comedians, etc) way too much. Do they deserve their pay? Yes, if that's what the market will pay. Should we value them enough that they receive the large pay roll, not in my opinion. Case in point look at all the press given to Whitney Houston's death. Why does society care more about her than they do about a non-celebrity people that die every day and contributed a hell of a lot more to society.

(16-02-2012 12:41 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  We value them because they are rare, just as we value nearly every rare thing on our planet. Why don't we hear about dying firefighters and police? Because there are so many of them that at least one dies every day (maybe and maybe not, I'm just guessing at a probable figure). We can't possibly learn all their names, and so we won't gain a personal connection of any sort with them... and a personal connection is generally a good reason to feel grief over the loss of a fellow human being.

But you answered your own question, anyway. The market decides that a single football game brings in millions of dollars, and so owners (who still make millions after this decision) share those millions with the players. The high pay is what ensures that those who can play well do end up playing, and nobody "falls through the cracks" and wastes their talent. How can you object to someone else getting paid well for holding a rare talent (that was, according to Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers, the end-product of 10,000 hours or more of practice)? Jealousy, I guess.

(16-02-2012 01:11 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  These athletes have fought their way to where they are. They are Jedi masters. It is not a hobby, it is most of their life. Thousands dream to be in their shoes, with their talents, skills and opportunities. They have fought thousands to be there. And hundreds more capitalize on THEIR hard work.

I don't think it's so black and white. Yes, other heroic occupations SHOULD get more money and more recognition, but that doesn't mean the athletes worked any less. Would they have worked that hard to be there if there wasn't any money? It's a huge motivator, and if nothing is motivating people to be the top athlete in whatever genre, then people wouldn't be as excited to watch that sport when they know it's just mediocre and there are no bets on the best. Competition is fierce and it's in our nature.

Too much sense.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
16-02-2012, 12:01 PM
(16-02-2012 09:15 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  What are 'hucksters' and 'rubes'?

the people who sell : pitchman, publicist, press agent, flack, adman, promoter, booster, plugger, barker, salesman

and the people who buy: marks, suckers, dupes, sheerlings, gulls

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
16-02-2012, 12:38 PM
(16-02-2012 12:01 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  
(16-02-2012 09:15 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  What are 'hucksters' and 'rubes'?

the people who sell : pitchman, publicist, press agent, flack, adman, promoter, booster, plugger, barker, salesman

and the people who buy: marks, suckers, dupes, sheerlings, gulls

[Image: English_Motherfucker_Do_You_Speak_I.jpg]

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post