Do Taller People have a Shorter Life Expectancy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2012, 07:30 PM
RE: Do Taller People have a Shorter Life Expectancy?
(27-05-2011 12:42 PM)Celestus87 Wrote:  Oh my goat... -_-

Yeah, there are a few studies here and there that support this (Samaras et al, 2003 for example) but this is basically -to cite Hubert Farnsworth- scientific dribble. Most studies that claim so do not measure life expectancy per se but generally the age of death. This can be as circumstantial as it gets.

There is more to be found on sex chromosomal abnormality and its effect on life expectancy than there is on height, or goat forbid, penis size! Dodgy

See reply by Samaras to Indoril 8/13/2012
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2012, 07:35 PM
(27-05-2011 12:33 PM)Indoril Wrote:  I've been told so many times that my life expectancy is shortened because of my height. I'm 6'7'', a giant among many, but so is the rest of my family. A lot of my older relatives have back problems because of our height, some even dislocated a disk. We have family who have a hunched back from working over a desk for long periods of time. Several have developed heart problems, myself included, because our blood needs to travel farther than those of medium to shorter heights.

About five years ago, my grandfather passed away. He was 6'4'', 180lbs, and 76 years of age. I've been told that my life expectancy is about 60-65, but my grandfather had died close to 80 years. So now I'm a bit pissed, but confused, are folks as tall as I am expected to pass on around 60 years of age?

(Please note, this question excludes the use of alcohol and drugs. This is directed more towards tall people who have had a balanced diet and live active/productive lives.)
12-09-2012, 07:36 PM
(12-09-2012 07:35 PM)samarastt Wrote:  
(27-05-2011 12:33 PM)Indoril Wrote:  I've been told so many times that my life expectancy is shortened because of my height. I'm 6'7'', a giant among many, but so is the rest of my family. A lot of my older relatives have back problems because of our height, some even dislocated a disk. We have family who have a hunched back from working over a desk for long periods of time. Several have developed heart problems, myself included, because our blood needs to travel farther than those of medium to shorter heights.

About five years ago, my grandfather passed away. He was 6'4'', 180lbs, and 76 years of age. I've been told that my life expectancy is about 60-65, but my grandfather had died close to 80 years. So now I'm a bit pissed, but confused, are folks as tall as I am expected to pass on around 60 years of age?

(Please note, this question excludes the use of alcohol and drugs. This is directed more towards tall people who have had a balanced diet and live active/productive lives.)

See Samaras reply 8/13/2012 for more information on height and longevity
14-09-2012, 11:53 AM

Well, they should. Tall people are ecologically unsound, they use up more resources. In fact, we should legislate against them, limit their use of air, food, and water. They're like dinosaurs. Angry

Or maybe we should breed them as a food source.Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Thank goodness for being 5'4.

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Everyone has a long life expectancy.

Sometimes our expectancies are not met.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
14-09-2012, 01:00 PM

75 is the scientific term for old, so your grandfather died an old man. Lets look at the tallest people to roam the earth. Goliath of Gath *buzz.* Oops. I mean Robert Wadlow *ding* was 8 foot 11 inches upon his death, perished at the keen hands of a splinter wound that became infected, but this was not his only health issue, as the taller you are, the more blood your heart has to pump to journey your veins, 6 foot is not a problem but 9 foot is a heinous problem for this process, also take into account the lungs, the amount of weight on the legs from your torso up at 9 foot, that man had many health declines before becoming acquainted with that splinter. Former pitcher Randy Johnson is nearly 7 foot, his main issue was his back, you got Paul Wight who is over 7 foot who has some asthma I believe, but I think that is genetic, Shaq O'Neil I am not aware if anything that is really coherent that can attribute to his size but I never really studied him either. I am certain the 6 foot range is not a big deal on the body, as long as you're in shape in the very least.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
14-09-2012, 03:41 PM
If that's true, I am gonna be fuckin' dead in no time.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
17-09-2012, 09:42 PM
"Taller People have a Shorter Life Expectancy" doesn't exactly jive with the de facto evolutionary trends towards tallness and longevity. I call bullshit.
17-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Gee, I hope not. My father is 6'6", and he is 85 tears old. My parents had 4 girls, ranging in height of 6'2", 6'0", and two at 5'11"
We all have some back problems with strained or ruptured discks, spasms, and lower back muscle weakness. The lower back muscle weakness is the one common problem we all experienced with the onset of reaching full height.

On the upside, tall people are commonly viewed in most societies as superior, leading usually to favoritism in job interviews (like a beautiful person). Take advantage of this one!