Do Theists Realize Their Beliefs Are Illogical?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2013, 04:23 PM
RE: Do Theists Realize Their Beliefs Are Illogical?
I work with many religious scientists. When I ask the ones I am close to they just say "Compartmentalization. Cognitive dissonance just ain't never been a big deal to me." "Fair enough," I say, "But it feels like learned helplessness to me." "You need a thicker helmet." they say. Blink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-09-2013, 04:25 PM
(14-09-2013 04:04 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(14-09-2013 10:57 AM)Isaac Wrote:  But proper science; the science conducted by smart scientists, not the sheep-scientists,

Ah. Ye-eees. Right then.

(14-09-2013 10:57 AM)Isaac Wrote:  has relieved startling evidence that there is a metaphysical presence in this world.

Citation eeded.

(14-09-2013 10:57 AM)Isaac Wrote:  One being that if the universe did come from nothing,

Which by definition cannot be metaphysical, insofar as it cannot be physical either; not that saying "from nothing" isn't already a bit dishonest.

(14-09-2013 10:57 AM)Isaac Wrote:  certain aspects of how galaxy's "form",

Gravity.

(14-09-2013 10:57 AM)Isaac Wrote:  how stars 'form"

Gravity.

(14-09-2013 10:57 AM)Isaac Wrote:  would have have to have been changed and the laws of physics bent to a small extent (Notice the quotation marks? That's because I think the concept of stars forming is bollocks, for it has never been observed).

Nebulae. Look at one.

There are stars younger than the observable universe. Therefore they "formed" some time after the universe did. QED.

(14-09-2013 10:57 AM)Isaac Wrote:  Another being that sub-atomic particles such as neutrons are winking in and out of existence simultaneously. Where do they go? What makes them go? And more intriguingly; What makes them come back?

Just no.

(14-09-2013 10:57 AM)Isaac Wrote:  "Lift a rock or split a log and you shall find me", this is not literal; it is saying that all you have to do is dig a little, and you will find god!

But of course, if one is so inclined as to call whatever they find god.

He used the code word 'sheep'. You know he is a lost soul. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-09-2013, 05:34 PM
(14-09-2013 05:32 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(14-09-2013 04:18 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I'm going to stop you right there.
This is an ATHEIST forum...
If you want insight into how the theist brain operates does it not make rational sense to ask them..?

That's too logical.

Or are you just demonstrating your atheistic credentials?

I say, to work out how the theistic brain operates, we should get some blunt scalpels and do some dissecting.

What say you?

Smile

Sounds good to me, I'll hold them down you chop bits of their brain out until they no longer believe in God.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
15-09-2013, 03:36 PM
(13-09-2013 10:35 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  My best guess is that people are, on various levels, afraid of giving up their faith. Any thoughts?

There are various levels and I think it depends how deeply one has been involved with faith. For some, it might be easier to see the way to logic and reason because whatever "faith" was practiced has always been on the outside of logic and reason. However, for others... logic and reason may not have been introduced until much later, well after the formative years.

When one has given so much of their self to something so completely but, is then challenged to just chuck it for something completely different... that is total fear. And that fear is going to need support and security to get past. The only place to go then would be the toward the support and security of faith. Fear is how and why people cling so tightly to faith. If they get rid of their faith, who then, would they be?

Faith is an identity one assumes when lacking the security of logic and reason. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
15-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Do Theists Realize Their Beliefs Are Illogical?

[Image: 37674317.jpg]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]