Do You Ever Pray?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Do You Ever Pray?
Might sound like a weird question on an atheist forum but does anyone else ever pray? I'll admit, I do sometimes. I'm not saying I sit there like an idiot with my hands together and talk about my day. I do however, when there is something very bad happening and I can't offer any proper help, find myself internally begging to anything that may exist out there (be it god, sprirt, life-force) to make things turn out OK.

I thought about it and I think what makes me do this is my rational nature. I class myself as an agnostic atheist so I cannot be certain that there isn't a higher power. This means that when something bad (such as someone needing dangerous surgery) occurs it only seems logical to pray. The way I see it even if there's only a 0.0000000000000001% chance that it will help then surely it's worth giving it a go.

What does anyone else think?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
24-09-2012, 04:41 PM
RE: Do You Ever Pray?
Nope. I don't bother. I figure if I pray and something comes true then it's probably chance anyway. It would do nothing more than potentially feed the psychological portion of confirmation bias since it would be: "If i do x and x comes true, then it must prove y."
24-09-2012, 04:58 PM
I used to pray very rarely one or two years ago, but I haven't done it since. There's no reason for it either.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
24-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Do You Ever Pray?
I've done enough praying in my lifetime to cover everyone on the forum so I don't bother with it anymore. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 6 users Like Erxomai's post
24-09-2012, 05:04 PM
(24-09-2012 05:03 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I've done enough praying in my lifetime to cover everyone on the forum so I don't bother with it anymore. Drinking Beverage

Amen! Errrrrrrrr wait...
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
24-09-2012, 05:07 PM
(24-09-2012 04:37 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Might sound like a weird question on an atheist forum but does anyone else ever pray? I'll admit, I do sometimes. I'm not saying I sit there like an idiot with my hands together and talk about my day. I do however, when there is something very bad happening and I can't offer any proper help, find myself internally begging to anything that may exist out there (be it god, sprirt, life-force) to make things turn out OK.

I thought about it and I think what makes me do this is my rational nature. I class myself as an agnostic atheist so I cannot be certain that there isn't a higher power. This means that when something bad (such as someone needing dangerous surgery) occurs it only seems logical to pray. The way I see it even if there's only a 0.0000000000000001% chance that it will help then surely it's worth giving it a go.

What does anyone else think?

Nope, it's just like with acupuncture, or any other woo. It "Just might help, so why not try it" is nonsense. I am not trying to be mean. But prayer has been one of those topics that I just can't stop seeing.

I don't pray, now I (try to) fix the problem I would normally be praying about.

Doing something has a batter effect than prayer, so... I would naturally choose to do something than waste precious seconds thinking, or pleading to an imaginary being, whatever being it may be.

Plus, K died while praying, so that might have an impact as to why I view prayer as such.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
24-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Question to all the agnostic atheists out there;

If you were in a hypothetical situation where the person on this planet you care about the most (be it sibling, friend, spouse, parent, or child) was in mortal danger and you were told that you could either do absolutely nothing, or you could do something that only had a 0.000000000000000001% chance of having any beneficial effect whatsoever but wouldn't do any harm, which would you choose?

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
24-09-2012, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2012 09:02 PM by Bucky Ball.)
I don't "pray". Some of the Latin hymns, from the Roman Liturgy (the old Roman Breviary),
even some of the English regular hymns are decent poetry, especially in Latin.
I will repeat the poetry, as poetry, (kinda like "rap"), not as prayer.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
24-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Hughsie, are you proposing a sort of Pascal's Wager?
[Image: 05d.jpg]
[+] 7 users Like Logisch's post
24-09-2012, 05:15 PM
(24-09-2012 05:13 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Hughsie, are you proposing a sort of Pascal's Wager?
[Image: 05d.jpg]

I suppose I am now you mention it.

Best
Worst
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post