Aw, I feel so popular. Blush

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2012, 10:16 PM
RE: Do You Ever Pray?
(24-09-2012 10:15 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Aw, I feel so popular. Blush

They are only sucking up to you, sire.

Be ware of the ass-kissersTongue nah, jk I love you all.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
24-09-2012, 10:20 PM
(24-09-2012 10:15 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Aw, I feel so popular. Blush

You realize that they only idolize you because you're the head honcho but I, on the other hand, only worship your body! Big Grin

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
24-09-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm 43 and not once in my entire life has it even crossed my mind to pray. I've done some hoping here and there. Smile

"To hate man and worship God seems to be the sum of all creeds." — Robert Ingersoll
24-09-2012, 11:17 PM
(24-09-2012 04:37 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Might sound like a weird question on an atheist forum but does anyone else ever pray? I'll admit, I do sometimes. I'm not saying I sit there like an idiot with my hands together and talk about my day. I do however, when there is something very bad happening and I can't offer any proper help, find myself internally begging to anything that may exist out there (be it god, sprirt, life-force) to make things turn out OK.

I thought about it and I think what makes me do this is my rational nature. I class myself as an agnostic atheist so I cannot be certain that there isn't a higher power. This means that when something bad (such as someone needing dangerous surgery) occurs it only seems logical to pray. The way I see it even if there's only a 0.0000000000000001% chance that it will help then surely it's worth giving it a go.

What does anyone else think?

No I don't because, as an anonymous writer once wrote, "Two hands working can do more than a thousand hands clasped in prayer."

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
25-09-2012, 04:39 AM
If that “something” is actually something “We can try this, it’s a one in a million chance but nothing to lose” then yea I’ll give it a crack.
Prayer isn’t something though; it’s nothing that takes time and energy away from you. It is actually less than something.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
25-09-2012, 04:48 AM
(24-09-2012 05:15 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(24-09-2012 05:13 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Hughsie, are you proposing a sort of Pascal's Wager?
[Image: 05d.jpg]

I suppose I am now you mention it.

Then fuck you. In the neck... Big Grin

I got a Gwynnie story! (R U surprised? Big Grin) But the "last straw" in this case was January of 2007, the first, last, and only time I prayed to my Gwynnies. (Why yes, I'm broke in the head. Big Grin) Spent three days in solitary, wasn't allowed a phone call, wan't informed of the charge against me, and I was all miserable and stuff... so I went, Dear Gwynnies...

I love you! Went from dejected to estatic in an instant, bouncing around in my cell, I love you! And ever since then, fuck them. Thumbsup

No. I don't pray. I act, or I accept. Simple fucking math. Evil_monster

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-09-2012, 06:38 AM
(25-09-2012 04:39 AM)Karl Wrote:  If that “something” is actually something “We can try this, it’s a one in a million chance but nothing to lose” then yea I’ll give it a crack.
Prayer isn’t something though; it’s nothing that takes time and energy away from you. It is actually less than something.

I could only class prayer as a guaranteed nothing if I was a gnostic atheist, which I'm not.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
25-09-2012, 07:14 AM
Sure, i pray...always when my wife drives our new car.

No, seriously, i think it's part of the brain-work, a constant flow of thougths and ideas.
The brain reflected and distorted thoughts to create new solutions and task's.
I think the founders of religion recognised this in the early day's and transformed it into what we called praying today.
They also deformed this self-verification system into a gesture of obedience and subjection.
Thats why i don't pray anymore.
I think, a man who start's praying, stop's working on the problem.

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
[+] 2 users Like Marco Krieger's post
25-09-2012, 07:24 AM
And another thing... Hughsie... you gonna allow for some infinitesimal chance of intercedence, seems to me there's more of a chance of correlation. So you get to praying, and shit happens, that was just going to happen the moment you started praying... you gonna be a theist, now?

Fuck that.

But since absolutes are for Sith and I'm all Jedi and shit, if Gwyneth swings by looking for some conversion outta me... a definite maybe. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user