Do You Ever Pray?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2012, 06:14 AM
RE: Do You Ever Pray?
(26-09-2012 04:21 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I see that you did there....

And I wish I had seen it before you.

Don't. Be jealous now.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2012, 11:34 PM
No. The last time I prayed was when I was about 9 years old. I used to ask every night before bed for the teasing I was going through every day at school would stop or at least get a little better. Things just kept getting worse, so I gave up. I did spend a few years up until I was 14 or 15 learning about insults and trying to decide what words would hurt someone the most. I got real good at spotting things that people are self-concious about. It has been a long time since I have been teased about anything, however it is now in my nature to go straight for the throat. Arguments usually end when you make the other person want to cry. I think it was the first time I was successful at making a bully cry and I got that way through practice by myself (no god involved), that I realized truly there is no god or at least there is no god that actually gives a shit what happens here. So, prayer is only a big waste of time. Even when my wife goes under the knife in late December this year, I will be hoping that everything turns out ok but not praying. I also believe that if god does exist he is a sick sadistic piece of shit, and praying for her to be alright will just make him do the opposite if he does exist.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post
28-09-2012, 11:36 PM
This thread made me think of something I read long ago, which I was able to find online. It's the "Unbeliever's Prayer" from John Gunther's 1949 memoir, Death Be Not Proud. It's the sad story of the death from a brain tumor, at the age of 17, of Gunther's brilliant son John Jr. This prayer was composed by the son and included in the book:

Quote:Unbeliever’s Prayer

Almighty God
Forgive me for my agnosticism;
For I shall try to be gentle not cynical,
nor a bad influence.

And O!
if Thou art truly in the heavens,
accept my gratitude
for all Thy gifts
and I shall try
to fight the good fight. Amen.

Given the circumstances, I find it rather touching. (Trying to be gentle, not cynical.)

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post