Do You Think For Yourself?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2017, 03:01 PM
Do You Think For Yourself?
Here is a question I ask myself alot when I come on here or when I watched Atheist channels on politics, or when I watch the news in general.

Do I think for myself?

We live in a time now where you are other one or the other, you can't be both. You can't have your cake and eat it too. You're either a conservative, Republican bastard. Or a whiny liberal, Democrat. Independents don't exist, at least according to everyone I've ever talked to.

When watching most of the stuff on the news now, or when posting things online, I ask myself the question over and over. Because in this world, it's easy to get lost in information. We get caught up in facts and truths, that it seems our opinions are swayed by the majority in our area or online.

To give an idea, you have views that align with a friend of yours, a friend who has been with you since you childhood. Yet, one day, you find yourself at opposite ends of the spectrum, she is giving you facts to support her claim, yet you have personal experience with it, and disagree. Do you go with what you've experienced, or do you go with the facts?

Little things like that often make me wonder, do we think before we do, or do before with think?

I used to be the atheist that would get outraged with so many others. Until one day, I took a step back and looked at what I was supporting. Found holes in my stances, and standing on another crumbling bridge just as I was when I was religious.

I didn't take the leap yet, I managed to think before anything else. And found that the side I thought I should be on, wasn't the one I wanted to be. If not that, it was worse then when I was brainwashed into being a Conservative, only this time I was brainwashed into being a Liberal.

I forgot to question myself and things I was told. I forgot to ask the Why's of life, to dig for info before jumping on-board the 'progressive' express. I found that my views crumbled again, and I was again at square one going into college.

This is when I started a new foundation, one of not jumping on the bandwagon heading to who knows where. I started to try and think, to use what I knew, learned, experienced, and was taught all at once.

Yet, on more than one occasion, when i dared to question things, I was labeled some horrible things.

Here is an example of that:
A friend of mine is for the tearing down of statues of historical figures we learn about, because they owned slaves. I argued that it was meaningless to do so for a few reasons.
1. They are dead, why do they care if you tear down their statues. They can't do anything about it, nor can they defend themselves as to why you shouldn't. It's just meaningless.
2. At the time they were around, owning slaves was common for rich men in that area. So of course they would own slaves when slavery was okay at that time.
3. Does owning slaves really weight out all the good things they did for our history? Or even all the things they did? Thomas Jefferson owned slaves, yet he was a good president and did some good things. And his slaves, form what I heard and learned, were treated fairly well.
4. Is it worth to tear down something that your money went into, only for later in the years it to be rebuilt again with your grandchildrens/children's tax money. Things of this world are fleeting, and should Republicans gain power again, they will rebuild them again.

There was a few others, but that was my highlights. I questioned her views, and I was labeled 'racist' and among other things.

It seems we are not allowed to think anymore, just stare at the TV liked a good child and let the brainwashing do it's job. Soon you will see things how you're parents do, and when you get older to think again, another group will do the same to you when you enter the world of the internet.

So, do you think you question things enough? I know I sometimes don't, and have to relook at things I jumped onto.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Ruby Crystal's post
21-08-2017, 03:09 PM
RE: Do You Think For Yourself?
I didn't know we lived in this time... maybe I'm thinking in another time for another self.

I guess you could question what does another beings opinion mean to you and how do you question thinking your own thoughts vs caring about that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
21-08-2017, 03:15 PM
There's a lot of authoritarian thought in the world today. It's not a good sign no matter which side wins. And that is why I'm moving far the fuck away from here.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
21-08-2017, 03:20 PM
(21-08-2017 03:01 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  Here is a question I ask myself alot when I come on here or when I watched Atheist channels on politics, or when I watch the news in general.

Do I think for myself?

I certainly think that I think for myself.

Quote: We live in a time now where you are other one or the other, you can't be both. You can't have your cake and eat it too. You're either a conservative, Republican bastard. Or a whiny liberal, Democrat. Independents don't exist, at least according to everyone I've ever talked to.

You're only imagining that you can't find merit in stances of both sides. I admit however that there isn't much at the right side that I would like.

Quote: It seems we are not allowed to think anymore, just stare at the TV liked a good child and let the brainwashing do it's job.

You must live in some totalitarian hellhole if you aren't allowed to think.

Quote: Soon you will see things how you're parents do, and when you get older to think again, another group will do the same to you when you enter the world of the internet.

Or not.

Quote: So, do you think you question things enough?

When there is enough questioning?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
21-08-2017, 03:24 PM
How to tell you're thinking for yourself -

More people are pissd at you, than not.....

Smartass

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
21-08-2017, 03:54 PM
Yes. And for a couple of my dimmer friends as well. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 6 users Like Vera's post
21-08-2017, 05:55 PM
I'm still working on the "I" part, then there's the whole "thinking" part, not sure when I'll make to the "thinking for myself" part. Smile

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
21-08-2017, 06:22 PM
Yes. Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
21-08-2017, 06:54 PM
Quick! I gotta post this before everyone else does!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 7 users Like dancefortwo's post
21-08-2017, 07:48 PM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2017 08:15 PM by Thoreauvian.)
It is entirely possible to think for oneself but still find oneself a member of a very large group of people who think similarly, just because there are only so many different kinds of perspectives to choose from, and the consistency between certain ideas makes them clump together into ideologies.

As for the problem of Confederate statues, the issue isn't only slavery but also open rebellion against the elected government of the United States, i.e. treason. George Washington and Thomas Jefferson had many redeeming features along with being slave holders. What did Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, and Jefferson Davis achieve except prolonging the bloodiest war in American history? Why should they (and people like them) be celebrated in public squares? And many of such statues were erected exactly when black civil rights became a hot issue in the 1960s, in other words specifically to intimitate black citizens by celebrating Confederate values. Let the statues be moved to history museums at least.
[+] 7 users Like Thoreauvian's post