Do You Think For Yourself?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2017, 08:31 PM
RE: Do You Think For Yourself?
(21-08-2017 03:01 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  ...It seems we are not allowed to think anymore, just stare at the TV liked a good child and let the brainwashing do it's job. Soon you will see things how you're parents do, and when you get older to think again, another group will do the same to you when you enter the world of the internet...

Being an Aussie, I can only assume your cynicism—particularly for a young person—is symptomatic of living in an uncertain, apprehensive, and socially insecure country like the US. I note too that your country is still dogged by the negativity of the religious right, internal economic uncertainties, a divisive federal government, and the violent excesses of simmering black/white racism.

Religion, and violent racism are largely pink noise here. Both would appear to have a more subtle negative effect on our overall societal security and contentment than they do in the US.

—And I for one certainly don't "see things as my parents do" (did); far from it in fact!

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
22-08-2017, 10:04 PM
Almost everybody think they think for themselves. How much this is true is much more difficult to answer. I would say I think for myself on numerous issues, mostly those on which I have a certain knowledge and expertise (and even then, my knowledge and opinion is informed by my predecessors), but there is many subject on which I defer to the opinion and knowledge of others that I happen to trust. I have no illusion though on the fact that I am a man of my time and that what I believe is almost wholly dependant on my circumstances. I have few rock solid convictions and will advocate for them. I will let history and other judge the results with the power of hindsight.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post
22-08-2017, 10:11 PM
Stop watching TV.

It is designed to sell advertising. Nothing is made to inform, but rather that you tune in again so they can keep selling advertising.

Hence the manic reactions of dopes like Lord Dick Head. And his mates.

(He's a cop apparently. Kind of explains all the cops murdering people over there.)

I just saw a politician here pull a stunt against Muslims in Australia. So it is not just the US. Although here it is rather small and pathetic.

It's all for attention.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
23-08-2017, 05:13 AM
Thinking for myself started me on my path to atheism. Smile
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
23-08-2017, 01:59 PM
As people living in a post-enlightenment society, we can easily recognise that it is a mistake to base our judgements on religious dogma and authoritarian decrees. But as people living in an age of TV and Internet, we readily delegate the work of evaluating claims to our chosen information feeds, substituting the traditional authoritarian institution of the church with mass media propaganda and social media echo chambers.

Critical thinking requires considerable time, effort and discipline in order to collect and evaluate evidence and determine the facts without deferring to social consensus or propaganda narratives, including those we craft ourselves through our channel selections. We like to feel wise and righteous and will readily filter out people who threaten that feeling.

The ability to make independent value judgements requires that we each establish our own moral framework and decide for ourselves what is fundamentally good rather than relying on the values we are taught as children and the norms of the society we live in. There's little point in being well-informed if one still views the world through someone else's lens.

It helps to recognise that as humans, we have evolved cognitive shortcuts that help us deal with imperfect information and limited processing power, but which are unable to deal well with sophisticated deception and harmful memes. By recognising our innate limitations we can reflect on how we are thinking and avoid letting others manipulate us.
[+] 1 user Likes MetasyntacticVariable's post
23-08-2017, 02:55 PM
Critical thinking is a skill that can be learned. Having said that though, I find it extremely hard to be sure that I'm not just feeding my biases into my world-understanding-machine and getting those same biases out and saying "I am amazed at how well I understand the world". It is certainly a lifelong quest to think carefully about the information that one is receiving, whether to trust it, how to interpret it etc.

My one golden rule is: I automatically push back against snake oil salesmen. How do you spot one you ask? Well, they're generally *very* keen to sell you snake oil. If ever someone is pushing their point of view really hard and trying to misdirect or shut down questions... I can be fairly sure without even looking at their stupid whizzbang or whatever it is, that they're selling bullshit. People who agree with me are sometimes snake-oil salesmen too, and that annoys the living fuck outta me. If you're correct there's no need to play games.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
23-08-2017, 03:27 PM
Girly and HoC think for me.
Saves me time to goof off.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-08-2017, 03:36 PM
(23-08-2017 03:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Girly and HoC think for me.
Saves me time to goof off.

I'm pretty sure the agreement was you were going think for me and JohhnyC. .... Yup, there it is in the fine print written on top of your signature. You better quit goofing off and get thinking, you got a lot of debt to work off.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
23-08-2017, 05:36 PM
They don' t pay me to think.

And they're getting their money's worth.

Signed

President D.J.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
24-08-2017, 05:01 PM
Good questions. Never can ask too many questions. Keep doing so. It is hard to filter out the BS from the truth. It is even harder when you try to keep an "open mind"...whatever that actually is. At sometime push comes to shove and you have to fall on one side or the other and be settled with your choice, for a while at least.

Give yourself a break from news and current events and the boob-tube. Read a classic novel. Get out into nature more. Learn to play an instrument or make something.

On another note, as a person who does not accept the concept of free will, I have to say that I am influenced by "Life, The Universe and Everything" and that despite there being only me inside my brain, I probably don't think for myself as much as I think I think for myself.

After all, I think, therefore, I think I am.

-Jeanne

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
[+] 1 user Likes Jeanne's post