Do You Think For Yourself?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2017, 06:10 PM
RE: Do You Think For Yourself?
(24-08-2017 05:01 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  On another note, as a person who does not accept the concept of free will, I have to say that I am influenced by "Life, The Universe and Everything" and that despite there being only me inside my brain, I probably don't think for myself as much as I think I think for myself.

Since the appearance is that you do think for yourself, you would have to take up the burden of proof to convince yourself that you don't think for yourself.

I repeat, you would have to convince yourself. Good luck doing that without thinking for yourself.

Hobo
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
24-08-2017, 06:19 PM
Well...first wouldn't I have to prove to myself that it is only me inside my brain doing the thinking? Just to make sure that I only have to prove it to one person.

Even then, the outside influence of said "Everything" keeps me from knowing that I am thinking entirely for myself, as there are just too many variables of that influence. How do I know that it isn't just that influence that is causing me to think that way and not truly myself? What exactly is "myself" anyway.

I think I agree with GM or maybe it is just his influence on me or perhaps on me.

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
[+] 1 user Likes Jeanne's post
24-08-2017, 06:21 PM
Sorry for the silliness. It has been a long, hot, humid and very busy Summer. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Jeanne's post
24-08-2017, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2017 06:36 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(24-08-2017 06:19 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  Well...first wouldn't I have to prove to myself that it is only me inside my brain doing the thinking? Just to make sure that I only have to prove it to one person.

Even then, the outside influence of said "Everything" keeps me from knowing that I am thinking entirely for myself, as there are just too many variables of that influence. How do I know that it isn't just that influence that is causing me to think that way and not truly myself? What exactly is "myself" anyway.

I think I agree with GM or maybe it is just his influence on me or perhaps on me.

If you have to convince yourself, there is obviously more than one you inside your head.

What makes you think that you can combine all outside variables even inside a complex human brain? In fact, you select the variables your respond to through selective focus, i.e. what you choose to consider.

Agreeing with any selected individual is your own choice too.

Your "self" is what drives your selective focus.

Hobo
24-08-2017, 07:17 PM
But...how do I "choose" to select the variables to which I focus selectively? And...how do I "choose" to respond to these select few?

What do I base my response upon? My experiences in life? Whoa...that is a mess of shite to pull together a reasonable response to any variables whether I selected them or not.

That is no sort of definition for "self." My selected focus... How does "Everything" influence my so-called selected focus? I tell you how. It makes me want to drink Arbor Mist's Peach Chardonnay straight from the bottle.

Free will...haha.

25-08-2017, 04:04 AM (This post was last modified: 25-08-2017 04:33 AM by Thoreauvian.)
(24-08-2017 07:17 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  But...how do I "choose" to select the variables to which I focus selectively? And...how do I "choose" to respond to these select few?

What do I base my response upon? My experiences in life? Whoa...that is a mess of shite to pull together a reasonable response to any variables whether I selected them or not.

That is no sort of definition for "self." My selected focus... How does "Everything" influence my so-called selected focus? I tell you how. It makes me want to drink Arbor Mist's Peach Chardonnay straight from the bottle.

Free will...haha.

Perhaps you have noticed that when you are in different emotional states, you focus on things differently and pick out whatever justifies or satisfies your state. That's how selective focus works. If you are hungry for instance, you look for something to eat. You may even choose a restaurant.

Your experiences in life are similarly selected by your focus, they do not sum up. In other words, our brains don't work like computers. They take shortcuts because the world is too complicated to navigate otherwise.

We meet Christians all the time who seem unable to focus on facts and logic, even when they are presented to them repeatedly. They are, in fact, rejecting out of hand information which they feel conflicts with their self-identification as Christians. We rightfully blame them of dishonesty. How could we blame them at all if we didn't believe they were willfully rejecting information?
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post