Do "You" Think teaching a clearly disabled kid religion is OK?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2014, 07:13 AM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2014 11:14 AM by DLJ.)
Do "You" Think teaching a clearly disabled kid religion is OK?
Sorry guys i'm not 100% sure where to place this because it isn't really a issue of mine it's more a question on how you guys vein this, of how anybody would.
Correction on the title (Do "You" think teaching a clearly disabled kid religion is okay?)

I went to a restaurant once with my grandparents and there was a lady with a clearly disabled child behind our table. Before they ate she asked the kid to pray and everything, so in other words it was clear they where i'm guessing strongly Christians or maybe Catholics or something.

However i didn't get involved of course it isn't my spot, they can pray and do whatever they wish. However it made me have a question inside my mind, do you believe it's okay to teach a disabled child who may or may not to a extent understand what he is getting into.

Religion? Do you think it's okay it makes me curious as if that kid understood and if he did grate if he didn't it scares me.
I don't know if what i'm feeling in fear is wrong. However correct me if it is wrong to fear this....but do you think its okay to teach them it? and i'm talking more for the ones who may not understand what they are doing or what it is about.
Consider
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2014, 07:24 AM
RE: Do "You" Think teaching a clearly disabled kid religion?
Most Children don't understand, doesn't matter if they have any disabilities or not. They are still developing, and are very impressionable. I think that is why one shouldn't indoctrinate their children, but that is the very reason that many choose to do it at that age. They have 100% of the attention of the child. There is no opposing view of reason telling them that it isn't alright.

Why do you think it is so very hard to de-convert somebody? It's because they're given the answers at an early age. When you find an answer, you stop looking further. I don't think there is much difference between telling a child with disabilities and telling a child without disabilities. I know it's going to sound horrible, but it might be less damaging to teach indoctrinate a person with disabilities as this individual will be less likely to spread it later to others. (Depending on the limitations the disability presents)

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
[+] 2 users Like microterf's post
18-12-2014, 07:31 AM
(18-12-2014 07:24 AM)microterf Wrote:  Most Children don't understand, doesn't matter if they have any disabilities or not. They are still developing, and are very impressionable. I think that is why one shouldn't indoctrinate their children, but that is the very reason that many choose to do it at that age. They have 100% of the attention of the child. There is no opposing view of reason telling them that it isn't alright.

Why do you think it is so very hard to de-convert somebody? It's because they're given the answers at an early age. When you find an answer, you stop looking further. I don't think there is much difference between telling a child with disabilities and telling a child without disabilities. I know it's going to sound horrible, but it might be less damaging to teach indoctrinate a person with disabilities as this individual will be less likely to spread it later to others. (Depending on the limitations the disability presents)

A little harsh but sadly very good point.
I actually agree in what you said but i also think to a point it could be both depending i mean i had disability's not in a way that some do no, i was very very lucky it's not bad. However i still ran into problems and had a hard time picking apart things alone till i got older. I guess it made me think what would happen if somebody was worse of then me and had that happen to them. Not to say that to couldn't grow up and do what i did, but some might not in a hash reality of things.
18-12-2014, 07:48 AM
I personally think it's wrong to manipulate people with lies. That said. I also personally manipulate people with lies. I prop up Santa Claus for my grand children, but I don't do the tooth fairy. Just idea of someone coming into your house to collect teeth seems scary to me.

Its my wish that parents wouldn't indoctrinate their children but they do because they enjoy it and they want their children to gain that joy, no matter if it's a lie or not.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
18-12-2014, 08:21 AM
Religion is a tool used to abuse people far too frequently. I would offer this one condition for anyone trying to teach their religion. Don't use it as an excuse to abuse or demean people, only use it to help them feel love and acceptance.

Of course religion is a terrible tool to accomplish that because it's wrapped in moral judgement and condemnation.

It would be like using a nail gun to pop a balloon that a child is holding.
Sure it will accomplish the task, but there is very likely to be a lot of blood spilled and pain involved.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
18-12-2014, 08:23 AM
I've debated over how personal I want to get in here, but what the hell... My daughter actually has some substantial developmental disabilities (12-years old in many ways; 5 in others.) She believes in Santa and the Tooth Fairy at face value, but she really doesn't understand those either--no 'magic' to the story. So although she's never been introduced to any religious ideas, she wouldn't understand the 'God' concept if she did.

Is it wrong that I lie to her about Santa? I don't think so, if nothing else just because it's a fun story about where some of the presents come from. Would it be wrong if I told her there was a God that loved her? I don't suppose so since it's always nice for people to know they're loved. However, I do think it would be wrong if I taught her fear in that she had to do certain things in certain ways lest this God be angered. I think it would be wrong to tell her in her innocence and purity that she is inherently sinful. And I certainly think it would be wrong to tell her that she was undeserving (or even less than completely deserving) of everything good in the world.

Celebrate Reason ‚óŹ Think For Yourself
www.theHeathensGuide.com
[Image: heathens-guide.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes JonDarbyXIII's post
18-12-2014, 08:48 AM
(18-12-2014 07:48 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I personally think it's wrong to manipulate people with lies. That said. I also personally manipulate people with lies. I prop up Santa Claus for my grand children, but I don't do the tooth fairy. Just idea of someone coming into your house to collect teeth seems scary to me.

Well, they are not manipulating people with things they know are lies, but rather teaching their kids what they believe are true.

If I believe something like, life has a moral direction, that there is some meaning or purpose behind all the mess and confusion of human life, then surely I would teach my kids those things, even if other don't believe this, and view these beliefs as false.
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
18-12-2014, 09:12 AM
Parents are allowed to teach their kids any number of nutty ideas, disabilities play no part in this.
Before I would want to answer whether it's ok for them, I would want to think about others telling me what I can teach my kids.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
18-12-2014, 09:14 AM
(18-12-2014 07:13 AM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  Sorry guys i'm not 100% sure where to place this because it isn't really a issue of mine it's more a question on how you guys vein this, of how anybody would.
Correction on the title (Do "You" think teaching a clearly disabled kid religion is okay?)

I went to a restaurant once with my grandparents and there was a lady with a clearly disabled child behind our table. Before they ate she asked the kid to pray and everything, so in other words it was clear they where i'm guessing strongly Christians or maybe Catholics or something.

However i didn't get involved of course it isn't my spot, they can pray and do whatever they wish. However it made me have a question inside my mind, do you believe it's okay to teach a disabled child who may or may not to a extent understand what he is getting into.

Religion? Do you think it's okay it makes me curious as if that kid understood and if he did grate if he didn't it scares me.
I don't know if what i'm feeling in fear is wrong. However correct me if it is wrong to fear this....but do you think its okay to teach them it? and i'm talking more for the ones who may not understand what they are doing or what it is about.
Consider

Teaching any child that god is real and watching them is "disabling" them. Teach your children about people who "believe" and "enable" them to understand the brainwashed world around them. All the brainwashed children are disabled, not just the mentally challenged ones. It's the same as talking a child into putting on a suicide vest. Children are our only hope as most adults are to far gone. I would have been really temped to say sometime like "how do you know god is real" then walked on by, not waited for an answer. Especially if I were a few miles from home. What's the harm? Some would say it's "their child" they can raise it as they see fit but I see it in the same light as I would if they were beating the child. You should step in. Do you remember when someone told you Santa wasn't real? One little seed could change a lifetime of delusion. Is it worth the effort? What do you have to lose?
18-12-2014, 09:20 AM
(18-12-2014 08:21 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Religion is a tool used to abuse people far too frequently. I would offer this one condition for anyone trying to teach their religion. Don't use it as an excuse to abuse or demean people, only use it to help them feel love and acceptance.

Of course religion is a terrible tool to accomplish that because it's wrapped in moral judgement and condemnation.

It would be like using a nail gun to pop a balloon that a child is holding.
Sure it will accomplish the task, but there is very likely to be a lot of blood spilled and pain involved.

Why not just put drugs in the local water supply that make everyone feel happy?