Do "You" Think teaching a clearly disabled kid religion is OK?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2014, 09:33 AM
RE: Do "You" Think teaching a clearly disabled kid religion?
(18-12-2014 08:23 AM)JonDarbyXIII Wrote:  I've debated over how personal I want to get in here, but what the hell... My daughter actually has some substantial developmental disabilities (12-years old in many ways; 5 in others.) She believes in Santa and the Tooth Fairy at face value, but she really doesn't understand those either--no 'magic' to the story. So although she's never been introduced to any religious ideas, she wouldn't understand the 'God' concept if she did.

Is it wrong that I lie to her about Santa? I don't think so, if nothing else just because it's a fun story about where some of the presents come from. Would it be wrong if I told her there was a God that loved her? I don't suppose so since it's always nice for people to know they're loved. However, I do think it would be wrong if I taught her fear in that she had to do certain things in certain ways lest this God be angered. I think it would be wrong to tell her in her innocence and purity that she is inherently sinful. And I certainly think it would be wrong to tell her that she was undeserving (or even less than completely deserving) of everything good in the world.

It all depends on if you want your children to grown up and be able to evaluate truth from myth and at what age you want them to acquire that ability. Why encourage belief without evidence? So they feel good? Some say pot leads to meth. Maybe a child's "santa" is the pot and as an adult "god" is meth. If I had to do it over again santa would be the neighbor kids myth.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2014, 09:42 AM
I'm not sure what I would say based on the label of clearly disabled. I would probably view it differently with certain disabilities, that may make a person seem clearly disabled.

A person with a determined lower-75 range intelligence I would feel it is more harmful than some other disabilities. Their eventual comprehensions skills later in life may not flourish well enough to fend it off.

If it was someone with some other disabilities that is noticeable, such as some other birth defect disabilities or noticeable learning disabilities. They may have the abilities to handle the questions on Gods reasonableness well. I've known people of this range who later in life found appeals to god insulting, especially when people would state God in an omniscient kinda sense having a plan and or purpose for things.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-12-2014, 10:06 AM
(18-12-2014 09:42 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I'm not sure what I would say based on the label of clearly disabled. I would probably view it differently with certain disabilities, that may make a person seem clearly disabled.

A person with a determined lower-75 range intelligence I would feel it is more harmful than some other disabilities. Their eventual comprehensions skills later in life may not flourish well enough to fend it off.

If it was someone with some other disabilities that is noticeable, such as some other birth defect disabilities or noticeable learning disabilities. They may have the abilities to handle the questions on Gods reasonableness well. I've known people of this range who later in life found appeals to god insulting, especially when people would state God in an omniscient kinda sense having a plan and or purpose for things.

Well i couldn't spell the word i wanted to i replaced it with clearly, i thought about correcting that because i didn't want to seem mean, heck i have some myself but i can still think for myself.
18-12-2014, 10:13 AM
(18-12-2014 08:23 AM)JonDarbyXIII Wrote:  I've debated over how personal I want to get in here, but what the hell... My daughter actually has some substantial developmental disabilities (12-years old in many ways; 5 in others.) She believes in Santa and the Tooth Fairy at face value, but she really doesn't understand those either--no 'magic' to the story. So although she's never been introduced to any religious ideas, she wouldn't understand the 'God' concept if she did.

Is it wrong that I lie to her about Santa? I don't think so, if nothing else just because it's a fun story about where some of the presents come from. Would it be wrong if I told her there was a God that loved her? I don't suppose so since it's always nice for people to know they're loved. However, I do think it would be wrong if I taught her fear in that she had to do certain things in certain ways lest this God be angered. I think it would be wrong to tell her in her innocence and purity that she is inherently sinful. And I certainly think it would be wrong to tell her that she was undeserving (or even less than completely deserving) of everything good in the world.

Well, i understand iv'e got some disability's myself but i don't have it in a way that i couldn't live on my own, i'm lucky as some would say. It's minor but honestly, its kinda what made me curious as to the other end if somebody wasn't that lucky with a disability and if somebody was lower in some degree, would it be wrong to speak about a god? and yes i meant in a "Degrading way" not just the simple "He loves you" i'm fine with that part. I'm not fine with the possibility of putting them in a spot where they feel like their every action is sin. But then again, i find personally religion harmful either way if you don't let your kid believe what they wish.
So i got a question, do you think that your daughter would understand not everything maybe but something if she was ever told there was a god? i'm not trying to be rude i'm just curious. Huh
18-12-2014, 10:18 AM
(18-12-2014 09:12 AM)pablo Wrote:  Parents are allowed to teach their kids any number of nutty ideas, disabilities play no part in this.
Before I would want to answer whether it's ok for them, I would want to think about others telling me what I can teach my kids.

Like i stated i didn't step in and it wasn't my place in fact i didn't even care it just appeared with a question in my mind. What would happen "If" we all tend to get them questions. However i do find it because of how i was raised and what i saw being raised that way that religion can be more harm then good and no it isn't my place
however do i want to some degree for religion to be more logical yeah.
but can it i really don't think so not completely.
18-12-2014, 10:20 AM
(18-12-2014 07:48 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I personally think it's wrong to manipulate people with lies. That said. I also personally manipulate people with lies. I prop up Santa Claus for my grand children, but I don't do the tooth fairy. Just idea of someone coming into your house to collect teeth seems scary to me.

Its my wish that parents wouldn't indoctrinate their children but they do because they enjoy it and they want their children to gain that joy, no matter if it's a lie or not.

That comment reminded me of a thought i had and asked my mother when i was a kid when she told me about the tooth fairy. I looked at her and stated something about strangers because i figured, that to would be a stranger. Big Grin hehe
18-12-2014, 10:24 AM
(18-12-2014 07:13 AM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  However i didn't get involved of course it isn't my spot, they can pray and do whatever they wish. However it made me have a question inside my mind, do you believe it's okay to teach a disabled child who may or may not to a extent understand what he is getting into.

As Microterf said, there's not a big difference between teaching a disabled kid and a sufficiently young kid. That being said, I'm not a big fan of indoctrinating kids like this, but it's a hugely important part of the religion, so it's not like it's going anywhere.

On a mild tangent, I do have an anecdote. I have a cousin with an autistic daughter. Generally speaking, he's atheist, although he has some type of pantheistic or spiritual tendencies. Still, he is very much not Christian. He does feel that he wants to teach his daughter about God so that he can give her some hope (I don't know if this is the Christian god, per se, but probably something similar). I can't say that I agree with him, but I see why he's doing it. At this stage in her life, I'm not sure what her expectations as an adult are.

(18-12-2014 07:13 AM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  i'm guessing strongly Christians or maybe Catholics or something.

Minor nitpick: Catholics are Christian. Perhaps you meant Protestant instead of Christian.
18-12-2014, 11:02 AM
(18-12-2014 08:48 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(18-12-2014 07:48 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I personally think it's wrong to manipulate people with lies. That said. I also personally manipulate people with lies. I prop up Santa Claus for my grand children, but I don't do the tooth fairy. Just idea of someone coming into your house to collect teeth seems scary to me.

Well, they are not manipulating people with things they know are lies, but rather teaching their kids what they believe are true.

If I believe something like, life has a moral direction, that there is some meaning or purpose behind all the mess and confusion of human life, then surely I would teach my kids those things, even if other don't believe this, and view these beliefs as false.

I have to agree with Tom here. A lie, by definition, is to present something that you know is false to be true. My wife is a believer, I absolutely think that she really thinks there is a devil, holy spirit, etc. So therefore, I don't think it is a lie for her to tell our kids that because she actually thinks it is real.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
18-12-2014, 11:10 AM
(18-12-2014 07:48 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  ...but I don't do the tooth fairy. Just idea of someone coming into your house to collect teeth seems scary to me.

Can I just say I love you for this?

Bowing

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-12-2014, 11:44 AM
RE: Do "You" Think teaching a clearly disabled kid religion is OK?
(18-12-2014 07:48 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  ...but I don't do the tooth fairy. Just idea of someone coming into your house to collect teeth seems scary to me.

[Image: Tooth_Fairy.jpg]

Celebrate Reason ● Think For Yourself
www.theHeathensGuide.com
[Image: heathens-guide.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user