Do "You" Think teaching a clearly disabled kid religion is OK?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2014, 11:44 AM
RE: Do "You" Think teaching a clearly disabled kid religion is OK?
(18-12-2014 07:13 AM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  Sorry guys i'm not 100% sure where to place this because it isn't really a issue of mine it's more a question on how you guys vein this, of how anybody would.
Correction on the title (Do "You" think teaching a clearly disabled kid religion is okay?)

I went to a restaurant once with my grandparents and there was a lady with a clearly disabled child behind our table. Before they ate she asked the kid to pray and everything, so in other words it was clear they where i'm guessing strongly Christians or maybe Catholics or something.

However i didn't get involved of course it isn't my spot, they can pray and do whatever they wish. However it made me have a question inside my mind, do you believe it's okay to teach a disabled child who may or may not to a extent understand what he is getting into.

Religion? Do you think it's okay it makes me curious as if that kid understood and if he did grate if he didn't it scares me.
I don't know if what i'm feeling in fear is wrong. However correct me if it is wrong to fear this....but do you think its okay to teach them it? and i'm talking more for the ones who may not understand what they are doing or what it is about.
Consider

I don't think a disability is a relevant factor. Indoctrination is indoctrination and its moral implications are independent of disability.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
18-12-2014, 01:23 PM
(18-12-2014 10:13 AM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  So i got a question, do you think that your daughter would understand not everything maybe but something if she was ever told there was a god? i'm not trying to be rude i'm just curious. Huh

She has this look like 'I don't know what the hell you're talking about, but I think you're smoking crack if you believe that.' I think that would be the initial reaction.

Actually, she's been to church a few times with her Grandpa, but I don't think she put any thought into it besides they went somewhere and people sang songs. If she were actively taught about religion, I'm sure she would accept the concept of a God as someone who loved her and someone who wanted her to obey certain commands and would be mad if she didn't. (that, in and of itself, isn't too hard to accept) If it was anything about someone walking on water, or talking donkeys or whatever, I think we'd be back at the 'smoking crack' look. Anything metaphysical or spiritual, though, I think would be too abstract for her to understand, and I imagine she would pass it over without a second thought.

Celebrate Reason ‚óŹ Think For Yourself
www.theHeathensGuide.com
[Image: heathens-guide.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes JonDarbyXIII's post
18-12-2014, 05:09 PM
I don't think it makes a difference whether or not the kid is disabled in any way. It is still all just the same.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
18-12-2014, 05:18 PM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2014 06:44 PM by GirlyMan.)
My dear old Christian mum who actually lives by The Word took in a 42 yo disabled women with a 60 IQ when her family came into a position where they couldn't take care of her no more. She's one of the most beautiful gentle giant souls I've ever met. Now throughout the last 4 decades me and mum been involved in many dialogues where I question dualism, the postmortem preservation of identity, an afterlife, heaven and hell, universal reconciliation vs. the need to believe, and other nonsense and my mum would actually ponder these things while still praying for my sorry soul. When I initiated a similar dialogue after me mum took in this gentle giant of a soul the woman became visibly and viscerally disturbed at my questions. I backed off immediately. She is not prepared to hear those questions let alone consider them. I'm not gonna hurt that gentle giant. Now she thinks I am the biggest Christian there is. Not only am I'm not gonna take that from her, I agree with her. Big Grin So saith The Bob.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post