Yes, I'm an atheist and I actively try to bring others to my point of view
Yes, I'm a theist and I actively try to bring others to my point of view
No, I'm an atheist but I don't try to change people's beliefs
No, I'm a theist but I don't try to change people's beliefs
[Show Results]

Do You Try To Convert People?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
18-05-2016, 10:36 AM (This post was last modified: 18-05-2016 12:50 PM by Mr. Boston.)
Do You Try To Convert People?
Whether you're a theist or an atheist - do you actively and intentionally try to get people to give up their beliefs and take your own?

I'm an atheist - and I do not deny this if directly asked. And if politely asked to explain my lack of belief I will generally humor a well-meaning theist by telling them my story but I don't go out of my way to disassemble and break down the beliefs of others. I'll tell them why I disagree with their beliefs or with the presence of religion in general, and I advocate for as much separation of church and state as possible, but I'm not overtly trying to get people to abandon their faith. If my ideas cause people to question and eventually abandon their faith and take up reason and rationality in its place I consider that a good thing, but this isn't a goal of mine.

Do you think that's something atheists owe to the world? That we should be trying to liberate as many people as possible? Theists, and Christians more specifically, will certainly say they're "called" to convert people but of the proclaimed atheists I've known most tend to keep it to themselves unless compelled to do otherwise.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2016, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 18-05-2016 11:33 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Do You Try To Convert People?
Depends how angry I am that day. Tongue

No.
I'm not an evangelical.

If someone asks me a direct question, I may try to answer it with some direct piece of historical fact.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
18-05-2016, 10:58 AM
Yeah...no...

I'm in the closet tho but I do sometimes drop hints.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-05-2016, 11:04 AM
At most I will have a discussion and ask questions. But I can't expect somebody to change their mind, because they can't expect to change mine. When two people who "know" they are right clash, the best you can do is try to understand each other, even if you don't agree. At least IMO.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
18-05-2016, 11:10 AM
I have these dopes on Farcebook who bait me constantly and i hit back, but other than that, not really. Such as I'll get "What are you going to do when the world comes to an end?" And I reply with "I'll set on the edge and spit off into the abyss!"
18-05-2016, 11:17 AM
I am atheist but i don't try to convert others to My beliefs i just publish My thoghts and if I get good feedback I get glad and with bad feedback I don't care.
18-05-2016, 11:25 AM
I don't try to convert. What I do do is when someone spouts off incorrect information I'll correct it. Other then that I dont do much. Everyone knows I'm athiest and some try but the thing about me is that I do my research and I'll always back up what I say. Most of the time people don't poke me. Lol
18-05-2016, 11:28 AM
Ugh, no, never. I was forced to fish for souls as an evangelical kid and I loathed every minute of it.

Fortunately I live in an area where I rarely run into people trying to convert me, except for the occasional Mormon or JW, and I just tell them to go away rather than engaging.
18-05-2016, 11:33 AM
It only ever occurs to me when someone I care about is very deluded, but I still don't act on it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
18-05-2016, 11:36 AM
None of the above.

Reality and rational thought is not a point of view.
I just want people to justify their reasons for holding a belief and if I'm wrong about something, I want someone to call me on it and be able to rationally explain why and how I'm wrong.

I shouldn't have to convert someone to think.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post