No, I'm an atheist but I don't try to change people's beliefs
No, I'm a theist but I don't try to change people's beliefs
[Show Results]

Do You Try To Convert People?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
18-05-2016, 11:43 AM
RE: Do You Try To Convert People?
Generally no, I don't bother trying to change people's views, it's rarely if ever effective. Much better just to be open about it if someone asks, perhaps explain why I'm an atheist, then let them stew about it on their own.

There was one guy who I've gently tried on a few occasions to get to see reason, because he's a genius and I loved him, and still can't understand how someone so smart is religious, plus his Catholicism is pretty much the only reason I'm not with him anymore. It makes me sad to see people I love be so deluded, but if it brings them comfort, I've made peace with not trying to take it away from them (my mom and sister at least). I refuse to co-raise a child with a religious parent though. I still give him a little shit for his beliefs though (poke fun at least), I periodically send him pictures from the laugh at religion thread. But I'm not actively trying to convert him, or anyone else for that matter.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes MustangManda's post
18-05-2016, 12:06 PM
I don't try to convert anyone, I always remind myself of how impossible it would be for a theist to convert me so I would assume it would just as difficult to convert a theist so why bother?

The one thing I don't shy away from is debating anyone on why I'm atheist and I will give a thorough explanation for any and every question they give me. The subjects I ended up talking about a lot is science/evolution and morality. Once I make my case for why I trust science over old stories and how I'm moral without religion they will concede and agree to disagree but I don't expect to change anyone's mind.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
18-05-2016, 12:15 PM
If someone were to ask me, face to face, like some folks come here to ask "am I alone or are these religious yahoo's I'm surrounded by full of shit", I'd at the very least send them down the right path, if not have a big ol' long talk about it with 'em. Shy

The right path, of course, would begin here on the TTA. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
18-05-2016, 07:18 PM
It is not possible to convert people. That is why I don't even try.
But it is possible to invite people to come to Christ.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
18-05-2016, 07:30 PM
No, they must come to truth on their own. I'll answer questions if asked. That is all.
I have no interest in what delusions others hold as long as they don't ask me to believe, demand that I follow or to create laws to live by their delusions.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
18-05-2016, 08:56 PM
(18-05-2016 10:36 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Whether you're a theist or an atheist - do you actively and intentionally try to get people to give up their beliefs and take your own?

I'm an atheist - and I do not deny this if directly asked. And if politely asked to explain my lack of belief I will generally humor a well-meaning theist by telling them my story but I don't go out of my way to disassemble and break down the beliefs of others. I'll tell them why I disagree with their beliefs or with the presence of religion in general, and I advocate for as much separation of church and state as possible, but I'm not overtly trying to get people to abandon their faith. If my ideas cause people to question and eventually abandon their faith and take up reason and rationality in its place I consider that a good thing, but this isn't a goal of mine.

Do you think that's something atheists owe to the world? That we should be trying to liberate as many people as possible? Theists, and Christians more specifically, will certainly say they're "called" to convert people but of the proclaimed atheists I've known most tend to keep it to themselves unless compelled to do otherwise.

Except on the forums, I rarely have interactions with believers anymore. I think they sense that they won't get anywhere with me. I think once you get a little grey in your beard, they leave you alone. I don't try to convert them, I just try to advocate for reason as best as I can. Now I usually just ask them how I can reliably distinguish what they are calling God from something they are merely imagining. That generally ends the discussion and they don't come back.

At this point, I think I'm pretty nonconvertible myself and if a theist engages me long enough I feel confident that their faith will be severely shaken. I know one theist that had his faith shaken to the core after talking with me. That's a good thing but I don't ever seek out believers to try to convert. Unfortunately he won't talk to me any more and avoids me. OH well.

As far as having a duty, well, I don't believe in duty or un-chosen obligations. It is in my interest to advocate for reason. I am anti-theist in the sense that I think theism is philosophic poison or more like a disease that attacks the intellectually unarmed but I recognize that others have an inalienable right to self-determination. They have to live by their own judgement.

Theists feel the need to convert others because they need help to believe themselves. They know deep down that their beliefs are irrational so surrounding themselves with other believers helps them to believe. But a person who doesn't believe and worse who is certain, well now that's a real threat to them and they can't abide it. It causes them to entertain their own doubts. That's the sole reason I call myself a strong atheist, besides the fact that I can prove that the claims of theism can not be true, because it drives them crazy. Why not just call yourself an agnostic, they say. Why go all the way and call yourself a strong atheist? I say for the reason that it frightens you.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
18-05-2016, 09:23 PM
(18-05-2016 07:18 PM)Alla Wrote:  It is not possible to convert people. That is why I don't even try.

You mean you didn't have to go on a mission as a Mormon. Is that not the purpose of the mission. In the town near us that is like 95% Catholic, they are out and about trying to convert the Catholics who already worship Christ.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
18-05-2016, 09:39 PM
(18-05-2016 09:23 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 07:18 PM)Alla Wrote:  It is not possible to convert people. That is why I don't even try.

You mean you didn't have to go on a mission as a Mormon. Is that not the purpose of the mission. In the town near us that is like 95% Catholic, they are out and about trying to convert the Catholics who already worship Christ.

I was in my early thirties when I became LDS that is why I didn't go on a mission.
Missionaries do not convert people, they invite people to come to Jesus Christ. If people want to come to Christ they let missionaries to teach them. As I said it is not possible to convert people.
P.S. Catholics worship Christ but it is not enough to enter Kingdom of God.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
18-05-2016, 10:33 PM
(18-05-2016 09:39 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 09:23 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  You mean you didn't have to go on a mission as a Mormon. Is that not the purpose of the mission. In the town near us that is like 95% Catholic, they are out and about trying to convert the Catholics who already worship Christ.

I was in my early thirties when I became LDS that is why I didn't go on a mission.
Missionaries do not convert people, they invite people to come to Jesus Christ. If people want to come to Christ they let missionaries to teach them. As I said it is not possible to convert people.
P.S. Catholics worship Christ but it is not enough to enter Kingdom of God.

I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me. I thought all Mormons went on missionary work. I'm not sure but I think Catholics would say that you do not worship Christ in the right way either. I know my daughters friend is a Mormon and is trying to convert her. Wants her to go on a trip to Salt Lake City with her.

18-05-2016, 11:51 PM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2016 12:02 AM by GirlyMan.)
But it is possible to invite people to become Christ.

Fixed.

Reach out and touch faith bitches.

#sigh