No, I'm an atheist but I don't try to change people's beliefs
No, I'm a theist but I don't try to change people's beliefs
[Show Results]

Do You Try To Convert People?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
19-05-2016, 04:36 AM
RE: Do You Try To Convert People?
I could certainly never try convincing someone who's suffering a lot and only have the (false Big Grin) knowledge that there always is heaven to look forward to, that this suffering is the only thing you'll have before it all goes pitch black.

You just don't take the comforting teddybear from a little, scared kid
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2016, 04:51 AM
Nah I don't try to deconvert people. Or convert people.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-05-2016, 05:33 AM
People are free to believe in whatever delusions they wish. It's only if those delusions directly affect me that I make a point of questioning their beliefs.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
19-05-2016, 06:11 AM
Nope! People can believe whatever gobbledygook bullshit they want, once they don't bother me with it.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
19-05-2016, 06:15 AM
When burning heathen villages I actually prefer it when they refuse to convert. Otherwise I don't have an excuse to keep going.

'Murican Canadian
19-05-2016, 06:27 AM
If the conversation is brought I'll most certainly try to plant the seed of reason, and I am openly atheist. But I don't force the issue.
19-05-2016, 07:31 AM
(18-05-2016 09:39 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(18-05-2016 09:23 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  You mean you didn't have to go on a mission as a Mormon. Is that not the purpose of the mission. In the town near us that is like 95% Catholic, they are out and about trying to convert the Catholics who already worship Christ.

I was in my early thirties when I became LDS that is why I didn't go on a mission.
Missionaries do not convert people, they invite people to come to Jesus Christ. If people want to come to Christ they let missionaries to teach them. As I said it is not possible to convert people.
P.S. Catholics worship Christ but it is not enough to enter Kingdom of God.

This notion of "inviting to christ" is definitionally different from converting how exactly? What is so different about this concept that makes it not the same thing?

If you "invite someone to christ" then after some time period that person becomes a LDS believer... how is that anything but having converted them?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
19-05-2016, 08:29 AM
(18-05-2016 10:33 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me. I thought all Mormons went on missionary work. I'm not sure but I think Catholics would say that you do not worship Christ in the right way either. I know my daughters friend is a Mormon and is trying to convert her. Wants her to go on a trip to Salt Lake City with her.
Older couples also can go on a mission for two years when their kids are all growing up.
I would recommend your daughter to go to the trip. She will have great time. It doesn't mean she will be converted.
But why to reject something good - like to see new places?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
19-05-2016, 08:37 AM
ClydeLee Wrote:This notion of "inviting to christ" is definitionally different from converting how exactly? What is so different about this concept that makes it not the same thing?
"To invite someone" to come to Christ is to teach someone about Christ and to teach how to become more close to Him.
"To convert someone" is TO CHANGE SOMEONE'S HEART. Nobody can change your heart or my heart. Only you or I can do this.

ClydeLee Wrote:If you "invite someone to christ" then after some time period that person becomes a LDS believer... how is that anything but having converted them?
If I teach you about Christ and because of that you become LDS it does NOT mean you are converted. You could become LDS because you are lonely, or because you want some benefits. There are different reasons why people become LDS.
But only when YOUR HEART has changed and you are truly convinced ONLY THEN you are converted.
No missionary, no mortal man can change your heart.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
19-05-2016, 08:43 AM
(19-05-2016 08:37 AM)Alla Wrote:  
ClydeLee Wrote:This notion of "inviting to christ" is definitionally different from converting how exactly? What is so different about this concept that makes it not the same thing?
"To invite someone" to come to Christ is to teach someone about Christ and to teach how to become more close to Him.
"To convert someone" is TO CHANGE SOMEONE'S HEART. Nobody can change your heart or my heart. Only you or I can do this.

ClydeLee Wrote:If you "invite someone to christ" then after some time period that person becomes a LDS believer... how is that anything but having converted them?
If I teach you about Christ and because of that you become LDS it does NOT mean you are converted. You could become LDS because you are lonely, or because you want some benefits. There are different reasons why people become LDS.
But only when YOUR HEART has changed and you are truly convinced ONLY THEN you are converted.
No missionary, no mortal man can change your heart.

So in your nonsensical definition of "convert" which has no bearing on anyone else's point or actual meaning of the term.

Where does this definition of convert come from exactly?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson