No, I'm an atheist but I don't try to change people's beliefs
No, I'm a theist but I don't try to change people's beliefs
[Show Results]

Do You Try To Convert People?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
19-05-2016, 08:50 AM
RE: Do You Try To Convert People?
I don't know where it comes from but it makes sense and this is taught in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Only when you really believe and you act according to your believes you are true convert.
If you only pretend to be LDS you are not converted.
It is all about inward not outward

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2016, 08:54 AM
No. We, generally speaking, live and let live in Europe when it comes to religion.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
19-05-2016, 09:06 AM
(19-05-2016 08:50 AM)Alla Wrote:  I don't know where it comes from but it makes sense and this is taught in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Only when you really believe and you act according to your believes you are true convert.
If you only pretend to be LDS you are not converted.
It is all about inward not outward

To convert is to cause in another to persuade a change. It does not equal or imply forcing or doing all the effort that the other person didn't have to come to on their own will still.

Teaching someone x is exactly doing this if you intend them to take that taught info and apply it to themselves. When teach someone english and intend them to pick up and use english words, you're also changing their function the same way.

The converting is the "act" not the TRUE CONVERT becoming elements of a person.

When missionaries are taken or just conversations of the "inviting to christ" happen and someone is teaching them about Christ and how to get closer to Christ... is indeed an attempt to convert them. This act isn't less less so because a person has to inwardly themselves take the step to be a true convert.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
19-05-2016, 10:09 AM
ClydeLee Wrote:To convert is to cause in another to persuade a change.
Well, I believe this: I can be an example for you, or I can teach you some principles then YOU may want to change YOURSELF.
ClydeLee Wrote:When missionaries are taken or just conversations of the "inviting to christ" happen and someone is teaching them about Christ and how to get closer to Christ... is indeed an attempt to convert them.
When missionaries teach about Christ and invite to come unto Him this is the attempt to give people some knowledge so they would HAVE A DESIRE to convert THEMSELVES. This is what I believe.
I can NOT convert you, not in a million years. Only you can convert yourself.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
19-05-2016, 10:38 AM
(19-05-2016 10:09 AM)Alla Wrote:  
ClydeLee Wrote:To convert is to cause in another to persuade a change.
Well, I believe this: I can be an example for you, or I can teach you some principles then YOU may want to change YOURSELF.
ClydeLee Wrote:When missionaries are taken or just conversations of the "inviting to christ" happen and someone is teaching them about Christ and how to get closer to Christ... is indeed an attempt to convert them.
When missionaries teach about Christ and invite to come unto Him this is the attempt to give people some knowledge so they would HAVE A DESIRE to convert THEMSELVES. This is what I believe.

That's what converting is...

To become a "true convert" isn't what to convert someone is limited to be about. Words have multiple meanings and contexts.

If you taught me some principles and I changed to accept and use these principles, you converted me to these principles. That is in fact what the context of the phrase to convert means.

It's not some forceful, brain manipulating, or indoctrination method alla. Simply influencing someone to change their mind is a process of converting them.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
19-05-2016, 11:19 AM
I never thought the phrase convert would be up for debate.

Maybe we can rephrase it as: "Do you engage in conversation/debate about religion with others in the hopes that they will take the information you give them and come to the same conclusions you have?"

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
19-05-2016, 12:00 PM
(19-05-2016 10:09 AM)Alla Wrote:  Well, I believe this: I can be an example for you, or I can teach you some principles then YOU may want to change YOURSELF.

I can NOT convert you, not in a million years. Only you can convert yourself.

They give false knowledge, you are undoubtedly an example for people on this forum to see as we recoil in disgust at your cognitive dissonance.

You are a perfect reminder of why so many of us left religion.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
20-05-2016, 07:26 AM
It's not like that I'm trying to make theists stop believing, BUT I very often do point out when someone says something stupid about the subject.

The best thing about atheism is, since it's a LACK of belief, it can't be wrong.

The worst thing about atheism is, since it's a LACK of belief, it can't be right.
20-05-2016, 07:48 AM
(18-05-2016 10:36 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Whether you're a theist or an atheist - do you actively and intentionally try to get people to give up their beliefs and take your own?

No. Just using myself as a benchmark, it seems that trying to talk people down from their beliefs makes them more defensive and gives them a negative view of other's views. At least, that's how I felt when I was still Christian.

That being said, what I do is either to explain my views to someone who has misconceptions or try to point out to someone why their argument isn't as strong as they think. I'll note that I'm not actively proving God doesn't exist when I poke holes in their arguments, but rather that they simply haven't proven he does. The two goals I have are to promote understanding, and to hopefully get some theists to be less pushy with their beliefs when they realize they are more personal opinion and less undeniable fact.
20-05-2016, 10:20 AM
No, I detest evangelism of any stripe.