No, I'm an atheist but I don't try to change people's beliefs
No, I'm a theist but I don't try to change people's beliefs
[Show Results]

Do You Try To Convert People?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
21-05-2016, 04:54 PM
RE: Do You Try To Convert People?
(21-05-2016 01:44 PM)Alla Wrote:  [...] Someone has to worship Christ in a way Christ WANTS it, not in a way someone wants it.
The problem I see with this is that both the Catholic and the Anglican, or the Mormon and the Adventist may well have their own religion-specific interpretations of the word of "their" god, and not acknowledge any other interpretation. But all those "different" gods are in fact one and the same. It's like a normal-sighted person sees a red apple as red, whereas a color-blind person will see it as dark green. Same apple though.

I can only presume that you believe that every other religion interprets how Christ wishes to be worshipped wrongly, and yours is the only one that doesn't?

Quote:Catholics do not have revelations from Christ for about 2000 years. They don't know what He wants.
As you're not a Catholic, how can you possibly know this? Are you just guessing, or can you cite something from the scriptures that could be interpreted as confirming this claim?

Quote:They have few ideas, they found those ideas in the Bible but that is NOT enough.
Can you suggest alternative source(s) to the Bible that could confirm more current revelations for today's Catholics?

Quote:No, God is not discriminatory. He will forgive ANY person (theist and atheist) who sincerely repents of evil doing.
This is a double-edged sword Alla. As a lifelong atheist, I have committed no sins or committed any acts that breach the commandments in your bible. In fact, certain persons in the bible (Abraham, Jephthah, Josiah, and the Levites for example) who were happy to murder other folks committed far more heinous crimes against humanity than I'd ever even contemplate for a nanosecond. Or should I simply lie (as an atheist) and make up a few sins in order to be able to "repent" of them LOL?

Quote:Someone has to be born again also.
A young male friend of mine was in a committed, long-term sexual relationship with his girlfriend. I recall him announcing one day that he had been "born again", and could no longer have intercourse with his girlfriend, as they were not married. 1 Corinthians 7:2 says; "but since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband". Sex before marriage is included in the biblical definition of sexual immorality, and there are numerous scriptures that declare sex before marriage to be a sin. Sex between a husband and his wife is the only form of sexual relations of which your God approves; Hebrews 13:4 says; "Let marriage be held in honour among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and the adulterous".

—Anyway, the relationship was soon destroyed, as his atheist girlfriend could not identify with his (to her) bizarre behaviour towards her. I'm guessing that she saw him as favouring his new-found, imaginary friend up in the sky over her. And it perturbed me considerably at the time to see such a (previously) loving couple torn asunder by one person's self-delusion—all in the cause of religion.

I'd be interested in your take on this last scenario Alla; was it predestined? Was he being fair? Should she have accepted his decision? Is the bible wrong in this particular instance? Is sex before marriage a so-called sin?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-05-2016, 05:45 PM
SYZ Wrote:I can only presume that you believe that every other religion interprets how Christ wishes to be worshipped wrongly, and yours is the only one that doesn't?
Yes, of course. But, you don't have to believe me. I am not asking you this.

SYZ Wrote:As you're not a Catholic, how can you possibly know this? Are you just guessing, or can you cite something from the scriptures that could be interpreted as confirming this claim
Please, quote for me the latest revelation from Christ to the Catholic church. How long ago did Christ give this revelation to the Catholic church?

SYZ Wrote:This is a double-edged sword Alla. As a lifelong atheist, I have committed no sins or committed any acts that breach the commandments in your bible. In fact, certain persons in the bible (Abraham, Jephthah, Josiah, and the Levites for example) who were happy to murder other folks committed far more heinous crimes against humanity than I'd ever even contemplate for a nanosecond. Or should I simply lie (as an atheist) and make up a few sins in order to be able to "repent" of them LOL?
If you say you never committed any sin then this is what you say. I can not argue with that and I don't want to argue with that. But I will tell you this: every time your conscience is clean you are OK. But when your conscience is not clean it is because you know that you did something wrong.
I assume your conscience is always clean. I am happy for you. Live this way.
SYZ Wrote:A young male friend of mine was in a committed, long-term sexual relationship with his girlfriend. I recall him announcing one day that he had been "born again", and could no longer have intercourse with his girlfriend, as they were not married. 1 Corinthians 7:2 says; "but since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband". Sex before marriage is included in the biblical definition of sexual immorality, and there are numerous scriptures that declare sex before marriage to be a sin. Sex between a husband and his wife is the only form of sexual relations of which your God approves; Hebrews 13:4 says; "Let marriage be held in honour among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and the adulterous".

—Anyway, the relationship was soon destroyed, as his atheist girlfriend could not identify with his (to her) bizarre behaviour towards her. I'm guessing that she saw him as favouring his new-found, imaginary friend up in the sky over her. And it perturbed me considerably at the time to see such a (previously) loving couple torn asunder by one person's self-delusion—all in the cause of religion.

I'd be interested in your take on this last scenario Alla;
I assume he started to believe that sex outside of marriage is wrong(sin) in eyes of God. He followed his conscience. Can you blame him for this? Should a person follow his/her conscience?
P.S. He was not born again. He thinks he was born again. The Bible is not clear about what it means to be born again. So, he can not know.
SYZ Wrote:was it predestined? Was he being fair?
No, it wasn't predestined.
Was he being fair? I don't know the answer to this question.
SYZ Wrote:Should she have accepted his decision?
So, if they married would it be a horrible thing or a wonderful thing? If they married would it take something from their relationship? or would it add something to their relationship? perhaps, more COMMITMENT? is it a bad thing - more commitment in serious relationship?

SYZ Wrote:Is the bible wrong in this particular instance? Is sex before marriage a so-called sin?
The Bible is not wrong about it and it is sin. BUT(yes, there is BUT):
if you do NOT believe it is sin then you are OK. Sin is when you BELIEVE and UNDERSTAND that particular choice/act is wrong and you do it any way.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
23-05-2016, 12:46 PM
(18-05-2016 10:36 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Whether you're a theist or an atheist - do you actively and intentionally try to get people to give up their beliefs and take your own?

No. I think that people should be free to chose their way in life. I have no intention of imposing my lack of belief onto others.

Quote: Do you think that's something atheists owe to the world? That we should be trying to liberate as many people as possible?

No, I don't think that atheists owe something to the world. Why would they? And it's not my job to liberate people from clutches of religion - I'm no missionary.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-05-2016, 07:29 PM
I'm out with most people who might convert, and not with the assholes who can't handle the truth. In that way I guess I do present my beliefs and invite conversation. I don't think that is trying to convert at all. That's just avoiding awkward conversations in favor of possibly intelligent ones.