Do any lives matter?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2015, 01:49 PM
Do any lives matter?
So I was doing a little facebook browsing for a good laugh and of course I still see the bulk of my friends still screaming about this black lives matter thing. On one hand you have those that see this as a good thing for blacks because it helps put the spotlight on us as a people. On the other you have people saying its uncalled for and racist in its own way. You had the rebuttal of all lives matters to this which I was apart of.

So after I thought about it a little and seeing the never ending argument go on I thought "do any of us really matter?" Hear me out I have a point.

So when we have a problem as a society of increased violence and law breaking we panic and look for a reason to blame as always but is there really a point? People are going to do what they want no matter how much we try to deter it. Eventually we will all die from something it's enviable. And no matter how hard we try to be recognized and remembered the bulk of us will eventually be forgotten. Deep down everything we do(jobs, families, vacations, having a nice house) are just distractions until we are no more.

So why all this fuss? I think just like Al Sharpton and that lot these black lives matters people are opportunist. They saw a chance and they have seized it. I've notice that the overall message of late has not been about the people they were suppose to be never forgetting. But when is the last time you heard the names of those who's names have been affiliated with this movement? I understand this is not all they can talk about all the time but all they seem to be pushing is their own agendas not that of all black people. So when they first came to the light I knew to stay away. It's no different then mike huckabee clinging on to Kim Davis. These kinds of people don't give a shit about the issue they are just looking to help themselves.

I digress.

Although these people disgust me, at least they know the real truth. There is no "purpose" in life we just tell ourselves that to keep us busy. To hide the real truth that we are born, we live, and we die. Of course that's not to say we shouldn't try to make things better but I'm sick of this bs people spew about purpose. We talk about truth a lot on this form and how many of us broke the chain that is religion and we started to question things. But sometimes I think we do that only with religion and not everything in our day to day lives.

Now this isn't meant to sound like I've given up hope or to depress anyone. I just like talking about the tough things and getting them on the table. Your comments are welcome as usual.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like MrKrispy601's post
09-09-2015, 02:06 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2015 05:59 PM by Minimalist.)
RE: Do any lives matter?
I think BLM serves a useful purpose in reminding whites that we have created a system which seriously and at times violently oppresses minorities.

You know, I've never been pulled over for having a broken tail light. I did, a year or so ago, have a cop pull up next to me and wave. When I rolled my window down he said, pleasantly: "Both of your brake lights are out." I thanked him. This was accomplished without gun play.

Several times since I have had occasion to wonder how that would have played out were I black or, since I'm in Arizona, Mexican?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
09-09-2015, 02:06 PM
Well, I could say that we don't matter in the grand scheme of things, no matter what we do, we'll probably never have a truly lasting effect on the universe. So go, life your life in the fullest, have fun , life your life in such a way that when you think back you can't say you wasted your life.

Or I could say that our goal should be to improve humanity as a whole, so go do something productive.

Instead, I'll say go find your own purpose, do stuff that matters to you and your loved ones, do shit that makes you hap py

And so every one should have the chance to do something like that, and lifes matter in some way

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
09-09-2015, 02:07 PM
(09-09-2015 01:49 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  Eventually we will all die from something it's enviable.

Dude, I'm loving the Freudian slip. Big Grin

(09-09-2015 01:49 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  And no matter how hard we try to be recognized and remembered the bulk of us will eventually be forgotten. Deep down everything we do(jobs, families, vacations, having a nice house) are just distractions until we are no more.

Nihilism. It's what's for dinner.

That said, I think the Black Lives Matter movement is specifically trying to raise attention to police brutality against blacks. It's not like the NAACP which has a more general purpose.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-09-2015, 02:08 PM
Firstly, the BLM movement is about redressing a grievance that isn't felt by whites. Therefore, they call themselves "Black Lives Matter" -- because blacks are on the receiving end of so much official violence in this country.

Secondly, all individual lives matter, each to the individual under consideration. Your life matters to you, mine to me, and so on.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
09-09-2015, 02:12 PM
Hmm, what is the topic ? Black lifes matter(which seems like some kind of group? )
Or do lifes matter?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
09-09-2015, 02:38 PM
Not to any real significant degree, but to other people other people matter and to individuals people matter. So it's an absurd little seeking of desire and that grand trap of thinking there ought to be something greater out there that drives that idea.

It does depress or scare some folks to think of it, I have a friend who likes reading philosophy of being and purpose questioning yet he mentions it's depressing to him. It can be rewarding or thrilling to someone else, it's all gonna be what matters to that person afterall. Krispy clearly knows what the whole idea of the movement is about, it's just that it's a matter of silly absurdness that really in a large scale context, no they don't, nor do any. So you do have better equality in that case.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
09-09-2015, 02:44 PM
On the grand scale of the universe I think Steven Weinberg made a valid point when he said "The more the universe seems comprehensible, the more it also seems pointless."

We're just one of millions, perhaps billions, of various organisms, albeit at the more intelligent end of the scale. We're here for the most nominal moment in the overall scale of space and time and so it seems we are here to reproduce and leave more humans behind, hopefully more intelligent but all the likely until the human race is no more. 99.9% of all species have gone extinct so our odds don't look to great peering into hindsight lenses. I don't remember anything before I was born and i doubt I will afterwards. Again, this is thinking on a cosmic scale and if you're not careful this can bring on a wave of depression.

If we drop down into a human existence scale then our lives seem less nebulous. WE can assign meaning to our own lives. We can be grateful that nature has selected our species and served it with intelligence to think, to love, to laugh, to cry, to feel every emotion tied to our existence. What a beautiful privilege! And the fact that our time is so fleeting makes it all the more wonderful because we only get one shot, as far as we know, to experience existence and let life permeate every fiber of our being. So what if we're only here for 80 years? And what about the people who don't enjoy life? Well we need to get off our asses and make sure we leave the world better than when we came in. Unfortunately our growing intelligence has likely led us into areas that can be viewed as both good and bad (depending on your definition of the words), slavery, racism, greed, giving, helping, thoughtfulness etc.

Steven Pinker portrays in his book "Better Angels of our Nature," that we are living in the best time ever. I think one of the reasons why is because we have learned that working together in groups has allowed us to reconstruct what is most important in order for our species to not just survive but thrive. Now it's up to us to continue to break down our growing problems and provide nuanced solutions. And in this sense, what we do really does matter on a smaller scale. Sure we may be forgotten in a century or two but at least you can say your life was worth living when you come to the end if you have contributed to society and assigned meaning to what you have done.

That's just my $.02....hell, it may only be worth $.01.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 3 users Like Tonechaser77's post
09-09-2015, 02:51 PM
(09-09-2015 02:12 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  Hmm, what is the topic ? Black lifes matter(which seems like some kind of group? )
Or do lifes matter?

Both...I was a little opposite of low when I wrote this lol.
09-09-2015, 02:55 PM
(09-09-2015 02:08 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Firstly, the BLM movement is about redressing a grievance that isn't felt by whites. Therefore, they call themselves "Black Lives Matter" -- because blacks are on the receiving end of so much official violence in this country.

Secondly, all individual lives matter, each to the individual under consideration. Your life matters to you, mine to me, and so on.

I think it's disguised as that but ultimately I don't think these people actually give a shit. If they did they wouldn't just be about this but they would be preaching about ending black on black violence just as loudly if not louder. Sorry I don't buy any of the bs they are selling. To me they are part of the problem. They seclude themselves and make it a us vs. them game.