Do any lives matter?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2015, 02:56 PM
RE: Do any lives matter?
(09-09-2015 02:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 01:49 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  Eventually we will all die from something it's enviable.

Dude, I'm loving the Freudian slip. Big Grin

(09-09-2015 01:49 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  And no matter how hard we try to be recognized and remembered the bulk of us will eventually be forgotten. Deep down everything we do(jobs, families, vacations, having a nice house) are just distractions until we are no more.

Nihilism. It's what's for dinner.

That said, I think the Black Lives Matter movement is specifically trying to raise attention to police brutality against blacks. It's not like the NAACP which has a more general purpose.

Yeah krispy fudged up lol.

I don't think I sound like a nihilist....do I?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes MrKrispy601's post
09-09-2015, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2015 03:13 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(09-09-2015 02:55 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 02:08 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Firstly, the BLM movement is about redressing a grievance that isn't felt by whites. Therefore, they call themselves "Black Lives Matter" -- because blacks are on the receiving end of so much official violence in this country.

Secondly, all individual lives matter, each to the individual under consideration. Your life matters to you, mine to me, and so on.

I think it's disguised as that but ultimately I don't think these people actually give a shit. If they did they wouldn't just be about this but they would be preaching about ending black on black violence just as loudly if not louder. Sorry I don't buy any of the bs they are selling. To me they are part of the problem. They seclude themselves and make it a us vs. them game.

Well, I think saying that "they seclude themselves" is a little short-sighted. If you'd been the target of premeditated actions on account of your race, wouldn't you feel that you had to speak up for yourself, and others who share that bullseye? This is somewhat like the criticism leveled at the NAACP in days of yore that they were only concerned with black issues -- well, yeah, because being mostly black themselves, they felt the sting of racism sharper than others. Criticizing them for speaking up doesn't seem very justified.

I'm certainly not saying they're even-handed, don't get me wrong. What I'm saying is that I think I understand why they are biased.

I also think that there are plenty of blacks who are indeed working on the problem of intraracial crime, which, truth be told, is not limited to blacks in America.

Finally, judging by the relative significance given in your response, is it safe to assume that you're not really asking about the meaning of life in general, or is it that you agree with what I wrote and saw no need to address it?
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
09-09-2015, 03:17 PM
(09-09-2015 02:56 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  I don't think I sound like a nihilist....do I?

You say that like it's a bad thing. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-09-2015, 03:46 PM
(09-09-2015 03:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 02:56 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  I don't think I sound like a nihilist....do I?

You say that like it's a bad thing. Big Grin

No joke had to go do some research on the actual definition of nihilism and it fits. Of course I'm going to look more into this though.
09-09-2015, 03:47 PM
(09-09-2015 03:10 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 02:55 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  I think it's disguised as that but ultimately I don't think these people actually give a shit. If they did they wouldn't just be about this but they would be preaching about ending black on black violence just as loudly if not louder. Sorry I don't buy any of the bs they are selling. To me they are part of the problem. They seclude themselves and make it a us vs. them game.

Well, I think saying that "they seclude themselves" is a little short-sighted. If you'd been the target of premeditated actions on account of your race, wouldn't you feel that you had to speak up for yourself, and others who share that bullseye? This is somewhat like the criticism leveled at the NAACP in days of yore that they were only concerned with black issues -- well, yeah, because being mostly black themselves, they felt the sting of racism sharper than others. Criticizing them for speaking up doesn't seem very justified.

I'm certainly not saying they're even-handed, don't get me wrong. What I'm saying is that I think I understand why they are biased.

I also think that there are plenty of blacks who are indeed working on the problem of intraracial crime, which, truth be told, is not limited to blacks in America.

Finally, judging by the relative significance given in your response, is it safe to assume that you're not really asking about the meaning of life in general, or is it that you agree with what I wrote and saw no need to address it?

Yes I agreed with what you said on the matter of life.
09-09-2015, 03:54 PM
It's cool. Care to answer my other point?
09-09-2015, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2015 02:09 PM by GirlyMan.)
(09-09-2015 03:46 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 03:17 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You say that like it's a bad thing. Big Grin

No joke had to go do some research on the actual definition of nihilism and it fits. Of course I'm going to look more into this though.

Compare and contrast Schopenhauer's passive "woe is me we all gonna die" nihilism and Nitetzsche's active "I will show you fear in a handful of dust." Wait no, that's T.S.Eliot.

"I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas."
- wait still TS.Eliot

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-09-2015, 04:01 PM
The absurd man cannot believe in God, and he has no need of justification. He is guided only by his own integrity, and integrity does not need to be guided by a moral code. Because he is free from morality, and thus from the concepts of guilt or wrong-doing, Camus describes the absurd man as "innocent."

“The absurd man will not commit suicide; he wants to live, without relinquishing any of his certainty, without a future, without hope, without illusions … and without resignation either. He stares at death with passionate attention and this fascination liberates him. He experiences the “divine irresponsibility” of the condemned man.” - Sartre

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-09-2015, 04:05 PM
(09-09-2015 03:54 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  It's cool. Care to answer my other point?

Oh sure. Yes but it doesn't matter for the collective group. Case in point, how many times have you seen an amber alert pop up on your phone and you not really give a shit. Be honest most of the time it's usual a small glimmer of "not my problem" in it. Sure you'll say something if you see it but you could care less. Or maybe that's me. So I do agree with your point of lives mattering to just the individual but not as a collective group.
09-09-2015, 04:26 PM
(09-09-2015 01:49 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  So after I thought about it a little and seeing the never ending argument go on I thought "do any of us really matter?"

Actually, the way I look at it is that we matter to varying degrees. Or rather, whether we live or die matters to varying degrees.

Once we are dead, we don't matter to ourselves anymore. So, that point is mute, since we are going to die anyway and once we are dead, we don't care anymore when that happened. So, the fact that our lives matter to ourselves is mute here.

So, after we are gone, our deaths, will matter to a varying number of people to varying degrees.

Society deals with this in a rather crude way. Like if you are retired with no more dependents living with you other than your spouse, and you die because of medical malpractice, no malpractice suit can be filed because no lawyer will take your case. Remuneration would have depended on the estimated income you would have provided to support your dependents, and that money would go to them. But since you are retired, you have no value. Your life doesn't matter.

Of course it matters to your widowed spouse. And your kids, even if they didn't depend on you.

So, whether lives matter can be looked at many different ways.

Every life affects many other lives in the course of it's life. Through these lives, you may still be affecting lives in future generations. Even if you don't contribute to the gene pool, you still live on in the process of social evolution. So - yes, every life matters.

See, the question whether lives matter is way to broad to answer. You can write a book about it I bet.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man