10-09-2015, 10:41 PM
RE: Do any lives matter?
Just mine..
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2015, 02:33 AM
(09-09-2015 04:05 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 03:54 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  It's cool. Care to answer my other point?

Oh sure. Yes but it doesn't matter for the collective group. Case in point, how many times have you seen an amber alert pop up on your phone and you not really give a shit. Be honest most of the time it's usual a small glimmer of "not my problem" in it. Sure you'll say something if you see it but you could care less. Or maybe that's me. So I do agree with your point of lives mattering to just the individual but not as a collective group.

That really doesn't answer my point, which was that the group was formed in order to address grievances as they arise, and that their protests aren't objections to singular events, but rather to a cultural experience.

Being black in America carries a stigma not only "honored" by racists, but enforced by police who are indeed more willing to use force based on skin-color.

I can't, and won't argue that assholes like Jesse Jackson have carved careers by being remoras on the shark of racism; they suction along and get rich off the scraps. But that doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist, that only means that they are opportunists.
11-09-2015, 03:04 AM
(09-09-2015 05:24 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  Because even though the lives of people I don't know don't really matter to me as much as the lives of the people close to me, a society that treats all people with respect and values the lives of all its members will be a better place to live than one that does not.

John Donne Wrote:No man is an island,
Entire of itself,
Every man is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thy friend's
Or of thine own were:
Any man's death diminishes me,
Because I am involved in mankind,
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
It tolls for thee.

Rights denied one man are rights denied us all, at one point or another.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
11-09-2015, 04:35 AM
Your life doesnt matter...

You are nothing but an insignificant assembly of atoms bound together to establish an understanding of your pointless existance.

Accept it. Grab a beer, sit back and enjoy watching the world burn.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
11-09-2015, 11:49 PM
(09-09-2015 04:05 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 03:54 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  It's cool. Care to answer my other point?

Oh sure. Yes but it doesn't matter for the collective group. Case in point, how many times have you seen an amber alert pop up on your phone and you not really give a shit. Be honest most of the time it's usual a small glimmer of "not my problem" in it. Sure you'll say something if you see it but you could care less. Or maybe that's me. So I do agree with your point of lives mattering to just the individual but not as a collective group.

Well, I'm one of those guys who will pull over and offer help to a stranded motorist. I volunteered at a food bank for a couple of years. Hell, when I lived in Ventura, on New Year's Eve I'd buy a case of cheap beer and hand out one or two apiece to the homeless (and there were many, right off the Avenue where I lived) who I figured could use a lift.

I don't cry tears for every single sadness the world has to offer, no, but I do try to help folks, whether it's duct-taping their broken water line, or giving them a free buzz on a cold night.

When Amber alerts pop up on my phone, I take note of the make and model of vehicle.

But I think you're missing my point, really. I wasn't saying that you either have to care for your own life, or you have to care for those of others. Values are a sliding scale, on a continuum, and we are perfectly justified valuing our own lives anywhere on that continuum we see fit. I'd die for my son, or my mother, and for a couple of other people I know; I'd give my life for theirs if I thought that would turn the trick. It doesn't mean I hold my own life valueless, it means that values are relative, and that was my point.

I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear.
11-09-2015, 11:51 PM
This question depends entirely on my mood.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
12-09-2015, 03:27 AM
(10-09-2015 05:47 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The problem with a group demanding "equality" -- is that by recognizing the division and differences between any groups (real or imagined) you only give more ammo to the people who like the idea of division and wish to keep such divisions.

It's a Catch 22 situation.

What alternative do they have? The status quo?

Speak up, I say.
12-09-2015, 05:15 AM
(11-09-2015 11:49 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 04:05 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  Oh sure. Yes but it doesn't matter for the collective group. Case in point, how many times have you seen an amber alert pop up on your phone and you not really give a shit. Be honest most of the time it's usual a small glimmer of "not my problem" in it. Sure you'll say something if you see it but you could care less. Or maybe that's me. So I do agree with your point of lives mattering to just the individual but not as a collective group.

Well, I'm one of those guys who will pull over and offer help to a stranded motorist. I volunteered at a food bank for a couple of years. Hell, when I lived in Ventura, on New Year's Eve I'd buy a case of cheap beer and hand out one or two apiece to the homeless (and there were many, right off the Avenue where I lived) who I figured could use a lift.

I don't cry tears for every single sadness the world has to offer, no, but I do try to help folks, whether it's duct-taping their broken water line, or giving them a free buzz on a cold night.

When Amber alerts pop up on my phone, I take note of the make and model of vehicle.

But I think you're missing my point, really. I wasn't saying that you either have to care for your own life, or you have to care for those of others. Values are a sliding scale, on a continuum, and we are perfectly justified valuing our own lives anywhere on that continuum we see fit. I'd die for my son, or my mother, and for a couple of other people I know; I'd give my life for theirs if I thought that would turn the trick. It doesn't mean I hold my own life valueless, it means that values are relative, and that was my point.

I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Ok that I agree with. It is relative to who you ask and the situation. For me it just happens to be nothing matter. But that's just me being negative.
12-09-2015, 06:11 AM
(09-09-2015 04:05 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  ...
how many times have you seen an amber alert pop up on your phone and you not really give a shit.

Point of order, Mr Speaker... What's an amber alert?

12-09-2015, 06:31 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2015 06:36 AM by ClydeLee.)
(12-09-2015 06:11 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 04:05 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  ...
how many times have you seen an amber alert pop up on your phone and you not really give a shit.

Point of order, Mr Speaker... What's an amber alert?

Child Abduction Alert.

And I've never had one go off on my phone, I didn't know it was even a thing until last month it went off on my sisters phone. I never had a main service type of smartphone of the type they go to.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson