Do any lives matter?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2016, 03:28 PM
RE: Do any lives matter?
(20-06-2016 03:09 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(20-06-2016 02:14 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Nuh-uh! Climate change will, at worst, have a lasting effect on this planet -- for as long as the planet lasts (and that's not forever). It will have no effect whatsoever on the rest of the universe.

You assume that would be a problem for the earth, it wouldn't be, just the current animals on earth

Right. The earth doesn't care. Anybody who worries about "the earth" is really worried about the various lifeforms that inhabit it.

But in any case, climate change will have no effect, lasting or otherwise, on the universe.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2016, 03:38 PM
Didn't read through 6 pages but here is my answer:

Short: No, no one matters.

Long: Yes we, the people, put value on certain things and ideas. And for us, some things are very important and therefore they matter. But what matters is subjective. Example, the fact that maybe my neighbours daughter did not get a cat, doesn't matter at all to me. But to the daughter it matters the world. And it is the same with Lives. Sure a brilliant mind might have died before the brilliance showed but we will never know. Einstein was great, he did matter, same with Tesla, Mandela, Marie Curie, etc. Yes they mattered to us, as people, because they brought greatness. But in the grand scheme of things, no one really matters. Sooner or later, humanity will kill itself off and for nature or the planet it won't matter at all, for the universe it won't either.
Now in the exact thing you mentioned in the OP about "black lives matter" this is more about racism and the fact that black people are still being treated horrible in some places. So they need to raise awareness. And I am fine with this. Equality and humanism is important for the human race.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
20-06-2016, 03:41 PM
(20-06-2016 03:28 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(20-06-2016 03:09 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  You assume that would be a problem for the earth, it wouldn't be, just the current animals on earth

Right. The earth doesn't care. Anybody who worries about "the earth" is really worried about the various lifeforms that inhabit it.

But in any case, climate change will have no effect, lasting or otherwise, on the universe.

Well sure I share the same concern, but another part of me looks at the other major extinction events and says meh.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
20-06-2016, 04:02 PM
They do to someone, to most things, not at all.

Or what's that they wrote that other song based off because it was based off a thing it was based off...

No man is an island entire by itself
Never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

good ole John Donne

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson