Do any of you guys feel weird saying the pledge of allegiance?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2015, 10:36 PM
Do any of you guys feel weird saying the pledge of allegiance?
I'm talking about the American pledge to the flag, or I guess whatever similar thing you practice in your country.

The ritualistic nature of it started to make me uncomfortable in high school. We reverted back to the original version (without "under God") some time around junior year, and somehow that made it even more awkward. I guess I'm just not a fan of mindless group rituals in general. For special occasions like memorial services I can understand the appeal, but it's not like the students are really getting anything out of it by repeating the same thing at the start of every day, other than a feeling of acceptance for doing what's expected of them.

"Ok kids, just keep chanting along like the good little nationalists that I know you all are. 'I pledge allegiance to the fl-' Jimmy, why isn't your hand over your heart? We're respecting our country right now. 'And to the republic for wh-' Jimmy, don't make me write you up for insubordination!"

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
19-05-2015, 10:54 PM
RE: Do any of you guys feel weird saying the pledge of allegiance?
Even being unreligoius in highschool the God element wasn't the real only reason I rarely stated it. It's just a bizarre situation all around with the universal group chanting nature of it.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
20-05-2015, 01:13 AM
In which contexts do you use the pledge? I'm not sure we have anything like that in Denmark.
20-05-2015, 05:14 AM
In some American schools - the pledge is recited every morning... In some schools only at special events......

I read Catch 22 in junior high school, and after that refused to recite it again.

"The Great Loyalty Oath Crusade" made sense......

Meaningless drivel, the pledge.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
20-05-2015, 05:36 AM
(19-05-2015 10:36 PM)cactus Wrote:  I'm talking about the American pledge to the flag, or I guess whatever similar thing you practice in your country.

The ritualistic nature of it started to make me uncomfortable in high school. We reverted back to the original version (without "under God") some time around junior year, and somehow that made it even more awkward. I guess I'm just not a fan of mindless group rituals in general. For special occasions like memorial services I can understand the appeal, but it's not like the students are really getting anything out of it by repeating the same thing at the start of every day, other than a feeling of acceptance for doing what's expected of them.

"Ok kids, just keep chanting along like the good little nationalists that I know you all are. 'I pledge allegiance to the fl-' Jimmy, why isn't your hand over your heart? We're respecting our country right now. 'And to the republic for wh-' Jimmy, don't make me write you up for insubordination!"

I've never said a pledge of allegiance. Closest thing to it was listening to the national anthem at school assemblies.

I'm not sure what to do with the idea of it. It seems so blatantly and stupidly nationalistic. Which of course is very rarely ever good...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
20-05-2015, 06:02 AM
It never really bothered me. It was just another part of my day like watching Liberty's Kids in the morning and eating lunch at lunch time.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
20-05-2015, 06:08 AM
I rarely said the pledge, especially once I noticed that "under god" defeated the whole meaning of it. The pledge is really up to interpretation, I take it not of a nationalistic sentiment but something that unities us, a bond that we all share. Your're not an African-american, or Chinese-american or Spanish-america or Irish-american your're just American. It's a nation of immigrants from nearly all parts of the world who out of many people and ideas created one nation indivisible. It's symbolic of that. I don't think that Americans are better than anyone else or perfect. We have differing views on pretty much everything, there is discord but hopefully we are reminded that we are all compatriots.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
20-05-2015, 06:37 AM
I only remember saying it in elementary school, and I can't remember which version it was. It is part of my children's day. I don't think they get much out of it and both know they don't have to say it. My 4th grader recently got a new girl in class, she is from the UK. My daughter was quick to tell her she didn't have to say it, some other kid said she did (because South Carolina), the teacher just told her to do whatever she wanted. But after a few weeks, everyone at least stands, and some mumble it.

Older daughter (6th grade) says she skips the under God part.

Neither of my girls want to rock the boat and create a fuss or stand out differently from their friends. They go with the flow as it goes in one ear and out the other.

At a previous school they did the pledge and a song - usually the teacher would let the students choose from 3 songs. Star Spangled Banner, America the Beautiful and ? I forget the third one.

I like that my children have learned some patriotism or nationalism with the songs. This is their home, I think they should feel proud about, feel a sense of duty and care and show some respect for the folks that got us here. I think it fosters a sense of community and belonging. I prefer the songs over the chant.

The chanting creeps me out. It reminds me of the few times I went to Catholic Church as a kid (funerals and weddings). All those responses at the same time gave me heebie-jeebies. Lol.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
20-05-2015, 08:37 AM
Personally, I feel the pledge and the national anthem, are nothing more than long held traditions and implied nationalism. I don't find anything inherently wrong with participation or lack thereof, its just not my cup of tea.

I feel most countries, ethnic groups, cultures, and the like, focus so heavily on group pride, that it makes breaking down those invisible barriers that much more of a task for the uninitiated.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-05-2015, 09:47 AM
The last time I said it was during my enlistment. My junior high and high schools only featured it on special events, and I didn't say it then, not because of the god verbiage, but because it didn't make sense to me to be loyal to a piece of cloth.

In the military, the colors are regarded differently; they symbolize the nation you've sworn your life to protect, and the Pledge at that point made sense to me. So the couple of times when I was in uniform, in public, and the Pledge was recited (Spurs game during basic training, teaching fire safety to an elementary-school class), I recited it, omitting the "under God" part because that was horseshit.