Do any of you guys feel weird saying the pledge of allegiance?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2015, 10:31 AM
RE: Do any of you guys feel weird saying the pledge of allegiance?
When I came to the U.S. when I was 12 years old, I did find it awkward, especially as I was not yet assimilated. I remember there were some Vietnamese refugees in my school who were even less assimilated than I, whom I imagine must have found it strange as well. With that said, the country of my birth, had no end to the many nationalistic rituals we participated in at school, but there was nothing like a pledge of allegiance. I imagine other countries also have nationalistic rituals at school. It is after all part of the tribalism we have evolved to embrace.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-05-2015, 10:34 AM
The only thing that makes me feel weird is that I am most likely one of the few present that knows the "under gawd" thing was shoehorned in there in the 50's. The rest are completely ignorant.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
20-05-2015, 11:34 AM
Do any of you guys feel weird saying the pledge of allegiance?
I didn't have anything like that in Nova Scotia (or not that I can remember). Here in the USA, it always felt weird to say it. Not because of the "under God" part, although I used to wonder about the people who didn't believe in God or had other gods. Also, it felt too much like a rote prayer I always said at Mass.

Sometimes I felt like I had to say 2 Lord's Prayer, 1 Hail Mary, and 1 Pledge of Allegiance.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
20-05-2015, 03:40 PM
I don't say pledges. I don't like them. If I feel something is worth defending or supporting I will do so. No pledge needed.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
20-05-2015, 04:03 PM
Wow, I'm really surprised at how many people didn't have the pledge at the beginning of their school day. We had it every single school day, K-12. I didn't stop saying it until senior year. My first period class that year was world govt, and our teacher never stood for the pledge. Also, she always made to point to tell us how far behind we were compared to European countries, lol. Actually, she was the first person I'd ever seen who didn't stand up and say the pledge at school, and just seeing someone else not do it was all it took for me to realize how pointless the exercise was. I guess I just never had the incentive to question it up until that point.

(20-05-2015 03:40 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I don't say pledges. I don't like them. If I feel something is worth defending or supporting I will do so. No pledge needed.
Agreed. I feel like the best way to honor those who came before me is to not repeat their mistakes.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
21-05-2015, 02:41 PM
Ever notice how rowdy and noisy kids are just before the class is to start? Having to say the oath or prayer settles everyone down.
21-05-2015, 02:52 PM
(21-05-2015 02:41 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  Ever notice how rowdy and noisy kids are just before the class is to start? Having to say the oath or prayer settles everyone down.

Not really certain how valid that is, besides for many systems it's tied with announcements which a teacher has the kids quiet down some to hear which is just as effective in it's own right.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
21-05-2015, 02:52 PM
No, I don't feel weird saying it, because I don't say it!
21-05-2015, 02:55 PM
I never thought about this until after all my beliefs started changing.
Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly very grateful for where i was born and the family I was born into, but chanting some nonsensical information as a child, that I didn't even understand, really doesn't appeal to me now. I tip toe carefully around anything that would lead to a slippery slope of hyper nationalism.
21-05-2015, 02:55 PM
(20-05-2015 10:31 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  I imagine other countries also have nationalistic rituals at school. It is after all part of the tribalism we have evolved to embrace.
Hard to believe, but no other countries have any such thing. Maybe N. Korea. Even for the Arab dictatorships, they know that making the people swear an oath of allegiance would be going too far!