Do any of you guys feel weird saying the pledge of allegiance?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-05-2015, 02:57 PM
RE: Do any of you guys feel weird saying the pledge of allegiance?
No one pays attention to what you're saying. Just make up your own words. Salute Griffindor or Harry or whatever.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-05-2015, 03:00 PM
(20-05-2015 06:37 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Neither of my girls want to rock the boat and create a fuss or stand out differently from their friends.

Neither of my girls have ever said or stood for the Pledge. Never had a problem with friends, only teachers. When asked why they don't say it, they have a short, non-confrontational reply, "Because I don't have to. No one does." Short, to the point, and informational.
21-05-2015, 03:43 PM
(20-05-2015 01:13 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  In which contexts do you use the pledge? I'm not sure we have anything like that in Denmark.

You're sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo lucky!

Bowing

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
21-05-2015, 03:53 PM
(21-05-2015 02:57 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No one pays attention to what you're saying. Just make up your own words. Salute Griffindor or Harry or whatever.

Lol. Yeah. I haven't said the pledge of allegiance for decades (thankfully) and when I did I just slurred a bunch of words together.

I feel more awkward putting my hand over my heart than the saying the pledge though. All one needs to do is straighten one's arm out at a 60 degree angle and say "Sieg heil".

21-05-2015, 04:52 PM
(21-05-2015 03:53 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I feel more awkward putting my hand over my heart than the saying the pledge though. All one needs to do is straighten one's arm out at a 60 degree angle and say "Sieg heil".

That's how Americans did it prior to WWII (minus the Sieg Heil!)
Bellamy Salute

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
21-05-2015, 05:05 PM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2015 05:08 PM by dancefortwo.)
(21-05-2015 04:52 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(21-05-2015 03:53 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I feel more awkward putting my hand over my heart than the saying the pledge though. All one needs to do is straighten one's arm out at a 60 degree angle and say "Sieg heil".

That's how Americans did it prior to WWII (minus the Sieg Heil!)
Bellamy Salute

Why doesn't this surprise me? Facepalm

Edit: I think this deserves a photo.

[Image: Students_pledging_allegiance_to_the_Amer...salute.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
21-05-2015, 06:51 PM
I'd feel very weird if I lived in a fascist country which wanted me to partake in communist rituals.

The confusion alone would shit me to death.

(What is the difference between communism and nazism? Communism forces everyone to conform and kills those who don't, but Nazism preemptively kills off the people who probably won't conform.)

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
22-05-2015, 04:16 AM
I've never been big on national pride and I question the intelligence of those who eat that stuff up with a spoon.

In America there's a lot of national pride and "military heroism". If you have something negative to say about servicemen you are a pariah. I've never been the type to applaud someone for willfully choosing that life as their career choice or path. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those anti-government obsessed people, I just don't care much for any of it, including our "defense department" and the USA's involvement in foreign affairs.
22-05-2015, 06:13 AM
We said it in elementary school, and maybe part of middle school. By the time I was in high school, we didn't do it anymore. When I was a kid, it didn't bother me at all. It seems weird as hell to do it now as an adult.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
22-05-2015, 07:05 AM
(22-05-2015 06:13 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  We said it in elementary school, and maybe part of middle school. By the time I was in high school, we didn't do it anymore. When I was a kid, it didn't bother me at all. It seems weird as hell to do it now as an adult.

Same here for the most part, though I can't recall it being a routine at any point in middle school.

And truthfully I never found it awkward or uncomfortable until I began identifying as atheist. It's trivial for the most part but there is now a part of me that denies conformity without thorough examination of what's involved. I feel weird pledging my "allegiance" to a land mass. I do not service this country but rather I view myself as a participant in its current ongoings.