Do any other Atheists think religious texts are important parts of literature

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2014, 02:17 AM
Do any other Atheists think religious texts are important parts of literature
I mean, even though they are false, I think religion and it's texts are an important part of history because they influence so many people.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Aleprauchanist's post
04-03-2014, 02:20 AM
RE: Do any other Atheists think religious texts are important parts of literature
Absolutely.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
04-03-2014, 03:09 AM
RE: Do any other Atheists think religious texts are important parts of literature
Historical text ? Yes.
Literature as showing how ancient people fabricate their daydreams and wishes ? Yes.
Literature as having positive sociology and psychological meanings ? Yes
Literature as providing comfort by reading them ? No, or at least not for me.

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 2 users Like HU.Junyuan's post
04-03-2014, 03:12 AM
The books of hodge podge alagory that were used to enslave billions.

I'd say the several monotheistic texts are and will allways be the most Important literary works to mankind.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
04-03-2014, 05:07 AM
I guess we could probably use them as "How Not To Live" guides.

Or reminders of just how ridiculous cherry picking can get.
[+] 3 users Like CleverUsername's post
04-03-2014, 05:33 AM
(04-03-2014 02:17 AM)Aleprauchanist Wrote:  I mean, even though they are false, I think religion and it's texts are an important part of history because they influence so many people.

From a historical perspective; how the texts have influenced people, cultures and the world...? Yes. Yes they are important.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
04-03-2014, 07:19 AM
(04-03-2014 05:33 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  From a historical perspective; how the texts have influenced people, cultures and the world...? Yes. Yes they are important.

This sums up my views nicely.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
04-03-2014, 07:59 AM
To understand much of (English) literature, a passing knowledge of the Bible is necessary as there are so many Biblical references in it.

Just take book titles, for example.
East of Eden
Inherit the Wind
Grapes of Wrath
The Sun Also Rises
Stranger in a Strange Land
A Time to Kill
A River Runs Through It
Leviathan
Chariots of Fire
A House Divided
...and many more.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
04-03-2014, 02:24 PM
Yes of course... In the same way as ancient Greek, Roman or Celtic religious texts are an important part of literature. Today we call them "mythology", but they were once believed in the same way that Christianity is today.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
04-03-2014, 02:54 PM
To answer the question in the title of the thread. It is only as important to remember what bad claims result in.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37