Do any other Atheists think religious texts are important parts of literature

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2014, 03:50 PM
RE: Do any other Atheists think religious texts are important parts of literature
(04-03-2014 02:17 AM)Aleprauchanist Wrote:  I mean, even though they are false, I think religion and it's texts are an important part of history because they influence so many people.

In my opinion, the most important thing about them (apart from having an appreciation of their content) is to understand who wrote them, when and why. The vast majority of Christians, for example, have absolutely no idea about this. Yet they revere, or pay lip service to revering, their ancient texts.

When the Bible is put in its true historical context, it should be recognised for what it is… propaganda used by priests and other leaders to control and profit from the people.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2014, 03:52 PM
RE: Do any other Atheists think religious texts are important parts of literature
(04-03-2014 02:17 AM)Aleprauchanist Wrote:  I mean, even though they are false, I think religion and it's texts are an important part of history because they influence so many people.

I do. I wouldn't advocate getting rid of all the religious inspired art work, music or buildings either.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-03-2014, 05:26 PM
Yes of course it does. I think it's also important because it gives us insight into the minds of ancient people.
And there is some actual real things in there. I think archeologists have used the Bible as a starting point when looking for certain people and places but I could be wrong. Yes the Bible has value. Just not the kind of value Christians place on it.
04-03-2014, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2014 06:24 PM by Pippen.)
I have a degree in English Lit. It would have been damn near impossible without a fairly solid knowledge of the Bible or Greek Mythology.

Mind you I did a Post Grad course in Chinese Literature and History and the way the course was constructed they provided context for each other, so if you combine the two it is possible. I went in with a fairly good understanding of modern Chinese history but looking at the literature gives you a real insight into the influences on both.
04-03-2014, 06:20 PM
(04-03-2014 07:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  To understand much of (English) literature, a passing knowledge of the Bible is necessary as there are so many Biblical references in it.

Just take book titles, for example.
East of Eden
Inherit the Wind
Grapes of Wrath
The Sun Also Rises
Stranger in a Strange Land
A Time to Kill
A River Runs Through It
Leviathan
Chariots of Fire
A House Divided
...and many more.

This. This x1000.

You could also make the argument that a good understanding of the religious dogma of the time adds to the understanding of many works of literature. Shakespeare is a prime example of this.