Do atheists fear oblivion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2017, 10:49 PM
Do atheists fear oblivion?
Do you atheists fear oblivion after you're dead? Your body just rots in the ground for all of eternity. If I believed that, I'd still be very scared of death.

As theres no evidence of our bodies being dead forever, I don't have to worry about oblivion. As my soul is infinite, I'll wake up in another universe. With my memories and stuff. Because everything is connected. God will revive me.

Theres just no evidence for how atheists believe they will die.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2017, 10:57 PM
RE: Do atheists fear oblivion?
I have no fear of oblivion.

I experience it every night when I enter a state of dreamless sleep. That is how I imagine death -- A timeless, unthinking, unfeeling state. There's no "me" there to be afraid.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 10 users Like Astreja's post
10-04-2017, 10:59 PM
(10-04-2017 10:57 PM)Astreja Wrote:  I have no fear of oblivion.

I experience it every night when I enter a state of dreamless sleep. That is how I imagine death -- A timeless, unthinking, unfeeling state. There's no "me" there to be afraid.
So basically like sleep you eventually wake up.
10-04-2017, 11:03 PM
No, I believe that death is permanent insentience and permanent loss of self, with no possibility of resurrection. The only things that survive are whatever we accomplished in life, the memories that others have of us, and the atoms that were in our bodies at the moment of death. Of those things, only the atoms have a lifespan that might be called eternal -- Eventually our works and our memory fade.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
[+] 6 users Like Astreja's post
10-04-2017, 11:03 PM
(10-04-2017 10:59 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 10:57 PM)Astreja Wrote:  I have no fear of oblivion.

So basically like sleep you eventually wake up.

Astreja's point is that you don't wake up; you lose consciousness and 'you' stops existing.

I'll reply the your OP a little later.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
10-04-2017, 11:07 PM
(10-04-2017 11:03 PM)Astreja Wrote:  No, I believe that death is permanent insentience and permanent loss of self, with no possibility of resurrection. The only things that survive are whatever we accomplished in life, the memories that others have of us, and the atoms that were in our bodies at the moment of death. Of those things, only the atoms have a lifespan that might be called eternal -- Eventually our works and our memory fade.
That would suck if we had evidence of that being true.
10-04-2017, 11:16 PM
Slipknot, I work in medicine and have a special interest in neurology. The evidence is that when the body dies, within a very short period of time (a couple of minutes), the connections between the neurons start to break down. This is caused by cells dying because the heart and lungs are no longer supplying them with oxygen.

Those synaptic connections are our thoughts, our memories, our awareness, our beliefs. When the brain dies you are gone forever.

[+] 9 users Like Astreja's post
10-04-2017, 11:17 PM
(10-04-2017 11:16 PM)Astreja Wrote:  Slipknot, I work in medicine and have a special interest in neurology. The evidence is that when the body dies, within a very short period of time (a couple of minutes), the connections between the neurons start to break down. This is caused by cells dying because the heart and lungs are no longer supplying them with oxygen.

Those synaptic connections are our thoughts, our memories, our awareness, our beliefs. When the brain dies you are gone forever.
Theres no evidence it's forever.
10-04-2017, 11:19 PM
I believe that it *is* forever. I do not believe in the supernatural -- at all. I believe that who we are is totally dependent on our physical brains.

[+] 3 users Like Astreja's post
10-04-2017, 11:22 PM
(10-04-2017 11:19 PM)Astreja Wrote:  I believe that it *is* forever. I do not believe in the supernatural -- at all. I believe that who we are is totally dependent on our physical brains.
I believe we are infinite beings. Not limited to our brains.