Do atheists fear oblivion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2017, 08:58 AM
RE: Do atheists fear oblivion?
(10-04-2017 10:49 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  Do you atheists fear oblivion after you're dead? Your body just rots in the ground for all of eternity. If I believed that, I'd still be very scared of death.

As theres no evidence of our bodies being dead forever, I don't have to worry about oblivion. As my soul is infinite, I'll wake up in another universe. With my memories and stuff. Because everything is connected. God will revive me.

Theres just no evidence for how atheists believe they will die.

Rotting does not take eternity. If that is something you fear, then your fears are unfounded. The second paragraph; it makes no sense at all.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
11-04-2017, 09:03 AM
(11-04-2017 08:56 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 08:47 AM)unfogged Wrote:  "The Administration rely upon the membership to identify offending behavior."

*relies

**or rely Drinking Beverage

"Adding to the complexity of this issue is that Americans and Britons handle it differently.

Americans tend to treat collective nouns as single units, so it’s more common to use the singular verb unless you’re definitely talking about individuals [...]

In British usage, however, it’s the opposite; it’s more common to use the plural verb. In fact, some sentences that are perfectly correct in Britain would be considered incorrect in America.”

Tongue

The crowd are in agreement with you.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
11-04-2017, 09:14 AM
(10-04-2017 10:49 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  Do you atheists fear oblivion after you're dead? Your body just rots in the ground for all of eternity. If I believed that, I'd still be very scared of death.

As theres no evidence of our bodies being dead forever, I don't have to worry about oblivion. As my soul is infinite, I'll wake up in another universe. With my memories and stuff. Because everything is connected. God will revive me.

Pardon my French, but you're a fucking idiot.

All you are doing is posting this stuff to make YOU feel better about the obvious conflicts you have with your own beliefs.

What the hell do you mean there's "no evidence our bodies being dead forever"? That's an idioctic statement. Last time I checked everyone that has died is still confirmed dead. And you switched from body to "soul"...which BTW you need to prove a soul even exists.

And shove your "no evidence" up your ass; you just posted nothing but drivel and then have the nerve to say atheists have no evidence....except we do. As far as being afraid, why would I be afraid of non-existence? I won't exist so I won't know I don't exist.

So stupid.
[+] 6 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
11-04-2017, 09:14 AM
Sippy's Sweepstake.
Guess how long it takes for Slippy to be shown the door, £1 per guess, nearest guess wins the cash.
Admin and mods excluded for obvious reasons.
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
11-04-2017, 09:17 AM
(11-04-2017 12:09 AM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 12:07 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What's to fear?
I don't fear anything as I believe we go on to better things after we are dead.

Believe all you want, it doesn't make it true. I can believe that after I die my eternity is nothing but endless sex with every hot female that has ever lived in their prime, but just because that's what I want to happen means it will.
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
11-04-2017, 09:19 AM
(11-04-2017 08:58 AM)tomilay Wrote:  

Rotting does not take eternity. If that is something you fear, then your fears are unfounded. The second paragraph; it makes no sense at all.

Why would anyone fear rotting away when you won't even be aware of it?
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
11-04-2017, 09:20 AM
(11-04-2017 08:47 AM)unfogged Wrote:  ...
Not trying to tell Moms anything; just saying that if it were up to me I'd at least strengthen rule 1 regarding spam. Slippy here is certainly skimming that line if it hasn't been crossed already. "The Administration rely upon the membership to identify offending behavior."

*relies

We do. That's true.

But this is just a seasonal thing.

In celebration of Ēostre and fertility and new life springing from chocolate bunnies and stuff TTA seem(s) to get a lot of nonsense around this time of year, here.

But it dies down again soon after like a plant left out in the sunshine of scrutiny and mixed metaphors.

We can enjoy ourselves at the loonies' expense for a few days.

(11-04-2017 08:56 AM)Vera Wrote:  ...
perfectly correct in Britain would be considered incorrect in America.”

Tongue

That's the default.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
11-04-2017, 09:20 AM
(11-04-2017 06:22 AM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  Death isn't like before you were born.

I suppose that could be possible, though massively unlikely. I can't know for certain because I have never been dead. Presumably you have or you would not have any evidence for your claim. Making claims without providing evidence, a reliable source, and a sane argument is just not cricket.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

11-04-2017, 09:24 AM
(11-04-2017 08:51 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 08:49 AM)whateverist Wrote:  Maybe those of Slippy's ilk should be allowed in but required to register as chew toys?

Except there's not even anything to chew on here. It's just infinite nothingness ™.

Maybe we can vape him?

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
11-04-2017, 09:28 AM
(11-04-2017 09:24 AM)whateverist Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 08:51 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Except there's not even anything to chew on here. It's just infinite nothingness ™.

Maybe we can vape him?

Eeeew... Sadcryface

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user