Do atheists fear oblivion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2017, 04:24 PM
RE: Do atheists fear oblivion?
(11-04-2017 03:59 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I don't think an intelligent mind could come up with this shit even if it tried.

I could probably keep a schtick like that going for a couple of minutes, tops, before I had a splitting headache and had to go lie down in a dark room with an ice pack.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post
11-04-2017, 04:41 PM
(11-04-2017 06:05 AM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  I don't fear oblivion because theres no evidence for it. Prove there is nothing after death.

Anything that exists has mass, so where is this mass of all the dead?

Is there life after death for non-human animals? Why not?

The enemy numbered six hundred - including women and children - and we abolished them utterly, leaving not even a baby alive to cry for its dead mother. This is incomparably the greatest victory that was ever achieved by the Christian soldiers of the United States. -- Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mircea's post
11-04-2017, 04:55 PM
(11-04-2017 04:24 PM)Astreja Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 03:59 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I don't think an intelligent mind could come up with this shit even if it tried.

I could probably keep a schtick like that going for a couple of minutes, tops, before I had a splitting headache and had to go lie down in a dark room with an ice pack.

Certain pharmaceuticals might make it so that you could keep it going for a while.

Other than that, I got nuthin'.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
11-04-2017, 06:20 PM
I thought it was great until Elder Scrolls but now it makes me nauseous so my fear is not unwarranted.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-04-2017, 12:32 PM
(10-04-2017 11:17 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 11:16 PM)Astreja Wrote:  Slipknot, I work in medicine and have a special interest in neurology. The evidence is that when the body dies, within a very short period of time (a couple of minutes), the connections between the neurons start to break down. This is caused by cells dying because the heart and lungs are no longer supplying them with oxygen.

Those synaptic connections are our thoughts, our memories, our awareness, our beliefs. When the brain dies you are gone forever.
Theres no evidence it's forever.

You're right if you're saying there's no evidence it's irreversible. But that doesn't mean anything right now. As of right now, it is a permanent state.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
12-04-2017, 12:33 PM
(11-04-2017 04:41 PM)Mircea Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 06:05 AM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  I don't fear oblivion because theres no evidence for it. Prove there is nothing after death.

Anything that exists has mass, so where is this mass of all the dead?

Is there life after death for non-human animals? Why not?

Not everything has mass.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
12-04-2017, 12:34 PM
(10-04-2017 10:49 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  Do you atheists fear oblivion after you're dead? Your body just rots in the ground for all of eternity. If I believed that, I'd still be very scared of death.

As theres no evidence of our bodies being dead forever, I don't have to worry about oblivion. As my soul is infinite, I'll wake up in another universe. With my memories and stuff. Because everything is connected. God will revive me.

Theres just no evidence for how atheists believe they will die.

Why fear what you won't be present to experience?

[+] 1 user Likes Naielis's post
12-04-2017, 01:24 PM
Using current estimates of the known universe it is 14bill years old. I've only been around for 35 years. The oblivion that I didn't experience prior to my arrival will problem be the same as the oblivion I don't experience after I leave. The universe seems to have gotten along just fine without me.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 5 users Like Commonsensei's post
12-04-2017, 01:25 PM
(10-04-2017 11:07 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 11:03 PM)Astreja Wrote:  No, I believe that death is permanent insentience and permanent loss of self, with no possibility of resurrection. The only things that survive are whatever we accomplished in life, the memories that others have of us, and the atoms that were in our bodies at the moment of death. Of those things, only the atoms have a lifespan that might be called eternal -- Eventually our works and our memory fade.
That would suck if we had evidence of that being true.

There is no evidence that it is not true, and there is no evidence for your childish beliefs.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
12-04-2017, 01:26 PM
(10-04-2017 11:22 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 11:19 PM)Astreja Wrote:  I believe that it *is* forever. I do not believe in the supernatural -- at all. I believe that who we are is totally dependent on our physical brains.
I believe we are infinite beings. Not limited to our brains.

Dualism is untenable.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post