Do atheists fear oblivion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2017, 01:33 PM
RE: Do atheists fear oblivion?
(12-04-2017 01:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 11:22 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  I believe we are infinite beings. Not limited to our brains.

Dualism is untenable.

Well substance dualism is.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2017, 01:42 PM
(12-04-2017 01:33 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 01:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  Dualism is untenable.

Well substance dualism is.

This could imply you think that one of the many forms of dualism is or could be valid.

Question: Do you think that there is a valid (or potentially valid) dualism? One that has not yet been shown to be fallacious or untenable?

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
12-04-2017, 01:46 PM
(12-04-2017 01:42 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 01:33 PM)Naielis Wrote:  Well substance dualism is.

This could imply you think that one of the many forms of dualism is or could be valid.

Question: Do you think that there is a valid (or potentially valid) dualism? One that has not yet been shown to be fallacious or untenable?

Yes I would consider myself a property dualist. I go more into this in the philosophy section in my "Arguments Against Materialism" thread. But property dualism simply entails a distinction in the properties of physical things. It doesn't don't posit that the mind is an existing substance of it's own; rather, that it is an emergent property of the brain. For this reason, I think property dualism is compatible with supervenience physicalism and is completely tenable.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
[+] 1 user Likes Naielis's post
13-04-2017, 06:57 AM
(11-04-2017 08:04 AM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  I haven't seen any evidence of eternal oblivion.

One can only assume one of two things: This guy has an IQ which matches his shoe size, or he's had a frontal lobotomy.

I just can't believe most of the rubbish he posts originates in a fully-operational brain.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 5 users Like SYZ's post
13-04-2017, 07:24 AM
I'm oblivious to oblivion.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
13-04-2017, 07:52 AM
(12-04-2017 01:46 PM)Naielis Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 01:42 PM)JesseB Wrote:  This could imply you think that one of the many forms of dualism is or could be valid.

Yes I would consider myself a property dualist. I go more into this in the philosophy section in my "Arguments Against Materialism" thread. But property dualism simply entails a distinction in the properties of physical things. It doesn't don't posit that the mind is an existing substance of it's own; rather, that it is an emergent property of the brain. For this reason, I think property dualism is compatible with supervenience physicalism and is completely tenable.

Hmmm Consider

[Image: new_phil_chalmers1.gif]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
13-04-2017, 08:13 AM
(13-04-2017 06:57 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 08:04 AM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  I haven't seen any evidence of eternal oblivion.

One can only assume one of two things: This guy has an IQ which matches his shoe size, or he's had a frontal lobotomy.

I just can't believe most of the rubbish he posts originates in a fully-operational brain.

Just a poe.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
13-04-2017, 08:19 AM
(10-04-2017 11:22 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 11:19 PM)Astreja Wrote:  I believe that it *is* forever. I do not believe in the supernatural -- at all. I believe that who we are is totally dependent on our physical brains.
I believe we are infinite beings. Not limited to our brains.

(10-04-2017 11:22 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  I believe we are infinite beings. Not limited to our brains.

"I believe...blah, blah, blah..." See, that's you problem. You can believe there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow but it doesn't make it true. You have to have incontrovertible evidence for it to be true and you have none.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post