Do atheists fear oblivion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2017, 11:27 PM
RE: Do atheists fear oblivion?
(10-04-2017 11:17 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 11:16 PM)Astreja Wrote:  Slipknot, I work in medicine and have a special interest in neurology. The evidence is that when the body dies, within a very short period of time (a couple of minutes), the connections between the neurons start to break down. This is caused by cells dying because the heart and lungs are no longer supplying them with oxygen.

Those synaptic connections are our thoughts, our memories, our awareness, our beliefs. When the brain dies you are gone forever.
Theres no evidence it's forever.

Define forever.
Right. No one can see " forever" so, there can not be evidence for it.
One can see history, though and so far, the only evidence we DO have tells us that when the brain dies, we die. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
10-04-2017, 11:28 PM
(10-04-2017 10:49 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  ... I'll wake up in another universe. With my memories and stuff. Because everything is connected. God will revive me ...

Interesting how so many visions of what the "next" universe will be like so precisely match what their envisioners most deeply desire. The existing universe is acknowledged by everyone to be nothing like how any of us would have designed it, yet each of these envisioners believes the universe that contains heaven fits their personal blueprint to the last 1/8" of trim.

Laugh out load
[+] 3 users Like Airportkid's post
10-04-2017, 11:30 PM
(10-04-2017 11:27 PM)kim Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 11:17 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  Theres no evidence it's forever.

Define forever.
Right. No one can see " forever" so, there can not be evidence for it.
One can see history, though and so far, the only evidence we DO have tells us that when the brain dies, we die. Drinking Beverage
Forever means forever. We have no evidence that our experience ends forever. We only have evidence of life.
10-04-2017, 11:31 PM
(10-04-2017 10:49 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  Do you atheists fear oblivion after you're dead? Your body just rots in the ground for all of eternity. If I believed that, I'd still be very scared of death.

As theres no evidence of our bodies being dead forever, I don't have to worry about oblivion. As my soul is infinite, I'll wake up in another universe. With my memories and stuff. Because everything is connected. God will revive me.

Theres just no evidence for how atheists believe they will die.

I don't worry about it just like I don't ever think about what it was like before I was born. Oh how terrible, I'm just a sperm and an egg.

Stop worrying about something you can't do anything about and worry about your life now, in this world. Live every day like it's your last. Your last chance to watch a sunrise, a sunset, to taste a wonderful dish, to be with your friends and loved ones, to work toward your dreams and values.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 3 users Like true scotsman's post
10-04-2017, 11:32 PM
(10-04-2017 11:22 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  I believe we are infinite beings. Not limited to our brains.

Then why does your "self" shut down every night when you enter non-REM sleep? Even in dreaming sleep, the average person has little control over his or her thoughts and actions, and it's common to forget all or part of the dream upon awakening.

For an "infinite being," it certainly has a hard time preserving self-awareness and agency during periods of sleep. What makes you think it'll do any better once the brain isn't working anymore?

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Astreja's post
10-04-2017, 11:35 PM
"Annihilation has no terrors for me, because I have already tried it before I was born—a hundred million years—and I have suffered more in an hour, in this life, than I remember to have suffered in the whole hundred million years put together." -- Samuel Clemens (aka Mark Twain)

Don't get me wrong. DYING is a scary thought. Dying usually involves all sorts of pain and indignity and organ failure and did I mention pain?

But the state of being dead does not seem to involve any of that. Indeed, without functioning pain receptors in our body, it does not seem to be capable of involving that.

(10-04-2017 11:22 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 11:19 PM)Astreja Wrote:  I believe that it *is* forever. I do not believe in the supernatural -- at all. I believe that who we are is totally dependent on our physical brains.
I believe we are infinite beings. Not limited to our brains.

It's strange, then, that damage to the brain can result in memory loss, loss of skills, and severe changes in personality. Given the two hypotheses, the idea that these elements of what we think of as part of ourselves are in fact emergent from the brain versus the idea that these elements are divorced from our brain and physical bodies and exist in some sort of transcendent, supernatural state... frankly, this IS evidence for the former and against the latter. What evidence is there in the other direction?
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
10-04-2017, 11:36 PM
(10-04-2017 11:32 PM)Astreja Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 11:22 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  I believe we are infinite beings. Not limited to our brains.

Then why does your "self" shut down every night when you enter non-REM sleep? Even in dreaming sleep, the average person has little control over his or her thoughts and actions, and it's common to forget all or part of the dream upon awakening.

For an "infinite being," it certainly has a hard time preserving self-awareness and agency during periods of sleep. What makes you think it'll do any better once the brain isn't working anymore?
Nothing in the universe is random. In the beginning the universe sorted itself out and everything is connected. So when you die, you keep your memories.
10-04-2017, 11:44 PM
(10-04-2017 11:36 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  ...
Nothing in the universe is random.

You haven't met my ex-wife.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
10-04-2017, 11:50 PM
(10-04-2017 11:36 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  Nothing in the universe is random.

Eh, it depends on what definition of randomness you're using. In a strictly mathematical sense, even a sure thing counts as a random experiment with a single-point probability mass function, but in a more coloqui-

(10-04-2017 11:36 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  In the beginning the universe sorted itself out and everything is connected.

Uh.... maybe? I suppose we could dredge up some really obscure definitions of "sorted out" and "connected" for which these statements are likely true, but I get the sense that you are getting at something very different from-

(10-04-2017 11:36 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  So when you die, you keep your memories.

NO. No part of anything you said prior to that, in any remotely sane interpretation of what you meant by the words, actually implies a memoried afterlife. ARGUABLY it might still possibly be possible, but that wouldn't change the fact that nothing you've said points to it.
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
10-04-2017, 11:58 PM
Why would I be afraid of nothing?

[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post