Do atheists fear oblivion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2017, 12:01 AM
RE: Do atheists fear oblivion?
(10-04-2017 11:58 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Why would I be afraid of nothing?
Us humans can't think of it because it doesn't exist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2017, 12:07 AM
(10-04-2017 10:49 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  Do you atheists fear oblivion after you're dead?

What's to fear?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-04-2017, 12:09 AM
(11-04-2017 12:07 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 10:49 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  Do you atheists fear oblivion after you're dead?

What's to fear?
I don't fear anything as I believe we go on to better things after we are dead.
11-04-2017, 12:10 AM
(11-04-2017 12:09 AM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 12:07 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What's to fear?
I don't fear anything as I believe we go on to better things after we are dead.

Eternal life is something to fear.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-04-2017, 12:12 AM
(11-04-2017 12:10 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 12:09 AM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  I don't fear anything as I believe we go on to better things after we are dead.

Eternal life is something to fear.
Yeah that's the best part, our fears create love. My fear is losing all my fears.
11-04-2017, 12:16 AM
I don't fear oblivion.

Every time I close my eyes to sleep... there's a small piece of it between then and waking the next day.

It's the thought of the pain of the accident/heart attack/cancer that happens before oblivion that some times worries me a little bit.
[+] 3 users Like Peebothuhul's post
11-04-2017, 12:20 AM
(11-04-2017 12:16 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  I don't fear oblivion.

Every time I close my eyes to sleep... there's a small piece of it between then and waking the next day.

It's the thought of the pain of the accident/heart attack/cancer that happens before oblivion that some times worries me a little bit.
I don't fear oblivion because it doesn't last forever.
11-04-2017, 01:09 AM
(10-04-2017 10:49 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  Do you atheists fear oblivion after you're dead? Your body just rots in the ground for all of eternity. If I believed that, I'd still be very scared of death.

As theres no evidence of our bodies being dead forever, I don't have to worry about oblivion. As my soul is infinite, I'll wake up in another universe. With my memories and stuff. Because everything is connected. God will revive me.

Theres just no evidence for how atheists believe they will die.

What an utterly absurd imagination you have.

When I die my body will rot away yes, biological processes will continue here on earth without me until one day the sun collapses and swells so large it swallows up this little rock. And one day that star may collapse into a supernova, a brilliant explosion and the best part? By the time that happens every galaxy out there will be so far from each other that it won't be visible to any other star system. This is what will happen when you die, when your parents die, every human that has ever lived, and every human that will ever live. These are things we understand and can know, well perhaps a Quasar will hit long before that happens. Who the fuck know's for sure dude. One thing is for sure, your claim lacks any evidence at all. Your wild delusions don't change reality. Deal with it.

What an utterly absurd question you ask.

No. Not in the least. I pity you for your fear that is so great you must imagine up some invisible friend to keep you company. No one will raise you from the dead, grow up dude.

But you want to know what I do fear? The thing I fear above all else? Failing to really live while I'm here. Your crutch steals your life from you, with promises of a do over. There is no do over, no paradise. Live now. LIVE. It's the only life you have, don't waste it.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
11-04-2017, 01:15 AM
And dude what is up with that name? Slipknot? so unoriginal. And did you really use your birth month and day after? Is this name really taken? So.... you were required to add numbers to the end of it?

After reading the OP it's no wonder I guess.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
11-04-2017, 01:17 AM
(11-04-2017 01:09 AM)JesseB Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 10:49 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  Do you atheists fear oblivion after you're dead? Your body just rots in the ground for all of eternity. If I believed that, I'd still be very scared of death.

As theres no evidence of our bodies being dead forever, I don't have to worry about oblivion. As my soul is infinite, I'll wake up in another universe. With my memories and stuff. Because everything is connected. God will revive me.

Theres just no evidence for how atheists believe they will die.

What an utterly absurd imagination you have.

When I die my body will rot away yes, biological processes will continue here on earth without me until one day the sun collapses and swells so large it swallows up this little rock. And one day that star may collapse into a supernova, a brilliant explosion and the best part? By the time that happens every galaxy out there will be so far from each other that it won't be visible to any other star system. This is what will happen when you die, when your parents die, every human that has ever lived, and every human that will ever live. These are things we understand and can know, well perhaps a Quasar will hit long before that happens. Who the fuck know's for sure dude. One thing is for sure, your claim lacks any evidence at all. Your wild delusions don't change reality. Deal with it.

What an utterly absurd question you ask.

No. Not in the least. I pity you for your fear that is so great you must imagine up some invisible friend to keep you company. No one will raise you from the dead, grow up dude.

But you want to know what I do fear? The thing I fear above all else? Failing to really live while I'm here. Your crutch steals your life from you, with promises of a do over. There is no do over, no paradise. Live now. LIVE. It's the only life you have, don't waste it.
It's an infinite universe we live on. I'll live forever. Outliving an infinite number of universes that go dead. So I'll live in. The universe cares about what we believe. If it didn't, we wouldn't exist in the first place.