Do atheists fear oblivion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2017, 01:32 AM
RE: Do atheists fear oblivion?
(10-04-2017 10:49 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  Do you atheists fear oblivion after you're dead? Your body just rots in the ground for all of eternity. If I believed that, I'd still be very scared of death.

As theres no evidence of our bodies being dead forever, I don't have to worry about oblivion. As my soul is infinite, I'll wake up in another universe. With my memories and stuff. Because everything is connected. God will revive me.

Theres just no evidence for how atheists believe they will die.

One hundred years ago I did not exist. That was not a concern; it could not be because I did not exist.

In one hundred years time I will not exist. That will not be a concern; it cannot be because I will not exist.

None of this bothers me enough to fear it.

Oh, and my body will not rot in the ground - it will be cremated.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Norm Deplume's post
11-04-2017, 01:35 AM
(11-04-2017 01:32 AM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 10:49 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  Do you atheists fear oblivion after you're dead? Your body just rots in the ground for all of eternity. If I believed that, I'd still be very scared of death.

As theres no evidence of our bodies being dead forever, I don't have to worry about oblivion. As my soul is infinite, I'll wake up in another universe. With my memories and stuff. Because everything is connected. God will revive me.

Theres just no evidence for how atheists believe they will die.

One hundred years ago I did not exist. That was not a concern; it could not be because I did not exist.

In one hundred years time I will not exist. That will not be a concern; it cannot be because I will not exist.

You will wake up when the universe needs you.
11-04-2017, 01:35 AM
(11-04-2017 01:31 AM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 01:28 AM)JesseB Wrote:  Whoah... this might be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.... Congrats dude, I'm impressed. It's nothing to be proud of, but I'm impressed.

I highly recommend you take some grammar, and philosophy classes, start learning the structure of logic, so you can begin understand the phenomenally stupid thing you just said.
Yes life is nothingness condensed by time. You condense nothingness so much it becomes physical. Since nothingness is infinite, it means we live in a infinite universe. So we are eternal. It's like adding zeroes together. Adding two zeroes together isn't zero.

Citation needed

Seriously, conversations are boring if you literally pull everything you say out of your ass. At least try a little bit? Hey I'm asking fucking nicely, I don't do that often dude.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
11-04-2017, 01:36 AM
(11-04-2017 01:35 AM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 01:32 AM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  One hundred years ago I did not exist. That was not a concern; it could not be because I did not exist.

Um... NO.

And lay off the LSD dude, its not good for your health.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
11-04-2017, 01:39 AM
(11-04-2017 01:35 AM)JesseB Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 01:31 AM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  Yes life is nothingness condensed by time. You condense nothingness so much it becomes physical. Since nothingness is infinite, it means we live in a infinite universe. So we are eternal. It's like adding zeroes together. Adding two zeroes together isn't zero.

Citation needed

Seriously, conversations are boring if you literally pull everything you say out of your ass. At least try a little bit? Hey I'm asking fucking nicely, I don't do that often dude.
Simple logic, zero plus zero isn't zero. You got to get a calculator not on this earth to see what it equals. That's how the universe exists. At the time of zero the universe was completely nothing. Then with time random parts of nothingness condensed over time. So eventually God formed and took over the universe. Since nothingness is infinite, we have eternal lives. We can experiences an infinite number of realities. The universe didn't start out as a 3rd dimension reality, it was totally different in the beginning. Life ain't random. It's set up for eternity.
11-04-2017, 01:47 AM
(11-04-2017 01:25 AM)JesseB Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 01:20 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I've never feared it.

Being extremely depressed, I actually welcome it now.

(Hugs Rob)

Do I need to remind you that you are one sexy beast Rob? Fine come on over, I'll give you a BJ to cheer you up dude.

Thank you Heart Blush That made me smile Smile

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
11-04-2017, 01:59 AM
(11-04-2017 01:35 AM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 01:32 AM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  One hundred years ago I did not exist. That was not a concern; it could not be because I did not exist.

No I won't. One wakes from sleep not from death. Any connection between death and sleep is metaphorical and not literal. You misuse the meaning of the word life in a similar way - life as a concept is not the same as the life of a single organism, though you try to use them interchangeably.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

11-04-2017, 02:03 AM
(11-04-2017 01:59 AM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 01:35 AM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  You will wake up when the universe needs you.

No I won't. One wakes from sleep not from death. Any connection between death and sleep is metaphorical and not literal. You misuse the meaning of the word life in a similar way - life as a concept is not the same as the life of a single organism, though you try to use them interchangeably.
It's impossible to cease to exist.
11-04-2017, 02:14 AM
(11-04-2017 01:39 AM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  At the time of zero the universe was completely nothing

It is not actually known if time began at the Big Bang. It is entirely possible that it did not. Which would mean the singularity did
not experience it. The laws of physics break down at that point because the equations all reference infinity. This makes no sense
at all because probabilities can only be between 0 and 1 and nowhere else. So infinity is as far off the scale as it is possible to be

A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
11-04-2017, 02:20 AM
(11-04-2017 02:14 AM)surreptitious57 Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 01:39 AM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  At the time of zero the universe was completely nothing

It is not actually known if time began at the Big Bang. It is entirely possible that it did not. Which would mean the singularity did
not experience it. The laws of physics break down at that point because the equations all reference infinity. This makes no sense
at all because probabilities can only be between 0 and 1 and nowhere else. So infinity is as far off the scale as it is possible to be
The Big Bang didn't start the main universe.