Do atheists fear oblivion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2017, 02:36 AM
RE: Do atheists fear oblivion?
(11-04-2017 02:03 AM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 01:59 AM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  No I won't. One wakes from sleep not from death. Any connection between death and sleep is metaphorical and not literal. You misuse the meaning of the word life in a similar way - life as a concept is not the same as the life of a single organism, though you try to use them interchangeably.
It's impossible to cease to exist.
Why?

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2017, 03:08 AM
My guess is that death is the end for us, and I do find the idea of not existing to be quite frightening. If there was a pill that could let me live for another 1000 years I would take it in a heartbeat. I enjoy life and would like to keep on living.
11-04-2017, 04:19 AM
(11-04-2017 01:31 AM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 01:28 AM)JesseB Wrote:  Whoah... this might be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.... Congrats dude, I'm impressed. It's nothing to be proud of, but I'm impressed.

I highly recommend you take some grammar, and philosophy classes, start learning the structure of logic, so you can begin understand the phenomenally stupid thing you just said.
Yes life is nothingness condensed by time. You condense nothingness so much it becomes physical. Since nothingness is infinite, it means we live in a infinite universe. So we are eternal. It's like adding zeroes together. Adding two zeroes together isn't zero.

> And your evidence for this outrageous statement is.....??? Facepalm
11-04-2017, 04:20 AM
(11-04-2017 01:35 AM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 01:32 AM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  One hundred years ago I did not exist. That was not a concern; it could not be because I did not exist.

In one hundred years time I will not exist. That will not be a concern; it cannot be because I will not exist.

None of this bothers me enough to fear it.

Oh, and my body will not rot in the ground - it will be cremated.
You will wake up when the universe needs you.

> Prove it.
11-04-2017, 04:21 AM
A calculator not of this earth... Big Grin

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
11-04-2017, 04:25 AM
I was once really frustrated with the whole idea of oblivion.

I much prefer how Skyrim works.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
11-04-2017, 04:33 AM
(10-04-2017 10:49 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  Do you atheists fear oblivion after you're dead? Your body just rots in the ground for all of eternity. If I believed that, I'd still be very scared of death.

As theres no evidence of our bodies being dead forever, I don't have to worry about oblivion. As my soul is infinite, I'll wake up in another universe. With my memories and stuff. Because everything is connected. God will revive me.

Theres just no evidence for how atheists believe they will die.

Look up the word evidence.
11-04-2017, 04:44 AM
You have not a shred of evidence to support you fairy tale that we survive death ... in any way. Too bad you're a wuss. Grow up. There is no Santa and no Easter Bunny. We know it's hard to find this out. Fucking baby.

"“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

― Mark Twain

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
11-04-2017, 04:53 AM
It seems as though you're so consumed with fear that you've constructed a very friendly and soft cell for your thoughts. My condolences to you; it must be difficult to live with that terror.

I'm not crazy about the idea of dying, but I don't fear oblivion.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
11-04-2017, 05:04 AM
If I thought I wouldn't be dead after I died, and that I'd continue to somehow exist indefinitely whether I wanted to or not, then I'd be scared. That a horrendous concept to me.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post