Do atheists fear oblivion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2017, 05:38 AM
RE: Do atheists fear oblivion?
(10-04-2017 10:49 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  Do you atheists fear oblivion after you're dead? Your body just rots in the ground for all of eternity. If I believed that, I'd still be very scared of death.

As theres no evidence of our bodies being dead forever, I don't have to worry about oblivion. As my soul is infinite, I'll wake up in another universe. With my memories and stuff. Because everything is connected. God will revive me.

Theres just no evidence for how atheists believe they will die.

Real bad try at trolling.
Way too incoherent.
Try again.
Try to sound a little less ignorant

Ill tell you what gave it away:
Quote:God will revive me
If you have an "infinite soul", why the need to revive you? If you have an "infinite soul", why the need to wake up? Does the soul go to "sleep" when the body dies? How? Why?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
11-04-2017, 05:41 AM
(11-04-2017 05:31 AM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 05:28 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  That's vapid, meaningless and is not remotely any kind of evidence.

You're making silly stories up about post-mortem existence because you can't accept your own mortality.
It's a fact that nothingness is infinite. Nothingness is so infinite that it can go back in time, to the beginning and fix any mistake. That's why everything is perfect and we are eternal.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
11-04-2017, 05:42 AM
(11-04-2017 05:32 AM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  You have no evidence that we are dead forever. If we did, then religions wouldn't be here.

Religions exist because we are pattern-seeking mammals and our brains have advanced to the point where we experience self consciousness. We are conscious of our existence but we are also conscious of our mortality. We know we are here and that one day we will not be.

We have evolved to fear death.
We are smart enough to imagine death and dying.
We are curious enough to wonder what, if anything, comes after.
We are fearful enough to cling to hope.
We are gullible enough to be manipulated.

This is why religion exists.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
11-04-2017, 05:42 AM
(11-04-2017 05:11 AM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 04:44 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You have not a shred of evidence to support you fairy tale that we survive death ... in any way. Too bad you're a wuss. Grow up. There is no Santa and no Easter Bunny. We know it's hard to find this out. Fucking baby.

"“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

― Mark Twain
Yes I have evidence. Since nothingness is infinite, it means the universe is infinite. We have order to the universe. So I will have my memories when I die. You have no evidence that death is forever.

A set of non-sequiturs. How idiotic.
You have no evidence.
Your memories exist ONLY in your live brain. When you die it rots. They disintegrate. Just like you.
Infinity and nothingness have nothing to do with order or your individual brain.
You're telling yourself fairy stories.
You have nothing.
You're delusional. Get help.

That slipknot must be too tight around your neck. Let in some oxygen. Your brain isn't working too well.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
11-04-2017, 05:45 AM
(11-04-2017 05:42 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 05:11 AM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  Yes I have evidence. Since nothingness is infinite, it means the universe is infinite. We have order to the universe. So I will have my memories when I die. You have no evidence that death is forever.

A set of non-sequiturs. How idiotic.
You have no evidence.
Your memories exist ONLY in your live brain. When you die it rots. They disintegrate. Just like you.
Infinity and nothingness have nothing to do with order or your individual brain.
You have nothing.
Nothingness is the structure of our universe. Everything works in perfect order. Thus we keep our memories after death.
11-04-2017, 05:49 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2017 06:03 AM by Vera.)
[Image: 12353_2117855494936357_1112964241_n1.jpg]

'Cause, surely, no one can be THIS level of stupid without their head imploding on itself, creating a black hole and engulfing the entire planet (and possibly Venus and/or Mars). Right?

If it were at least funny poeing the line... Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
11-04-2017, 05:51 AM
(11-04-2017 05:49 AM)Vera Wrote:  'Cause, sure, no one can be THIS level of stupid without their head imploding on itself, creating a black hole and engulfing the entire planet (and possibly Venus and/or Mars). Right?

I'd say you need to get out more. Hobo

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
11-04-2017, 05:55 AM
*cracks knuckles*

Well I said I'd come back and give my own response, and I keep my word. But everybody else has already given plenty of good thoughts on it, so I won't be much more than an echo on it, so I decided to go for a best hits album of your inanity. Shall we proceed?

(10-04-2017 10:49 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  Do you atheists fear oblivion after you're dead? Your body just rots in the ground for all of eternity. If I believed that, I'd still be very scared of death.

As theres no evidence of our bodies being dead forever, I don't have to worry about oblivion. As my soul is infinite, I'll wake up in another universe. With my memories and stuff. Because everything is connected. God will revive me.

For such a sparsely worded post, you certainly packed the bullshit in tight there, didn't cha? As the lyricists say in modern parlance, let us decompose the subject matter.

(10-04-2017 10:49 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  Do you atheists fear oblivion after you're dead?

I can't speak for all atheists, but I'd say we've got a solid consensus in the thread already: no, a lot of us do not fear the oblivion of death.

Personally, more often than not I look forward to the eventual time that I get to feel the sweet relief from life that is death's embrace. But I'm in no rush yet; I don't fear death, I fear the pain of dying.

(10-04-2017 10:49 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  Your body just rots in the ground for all of eternity.

This idea annoys me less as an atheist, and more as an aspiring biologist. Things don't rot eternally. To 'rot eternally' is an oxymornism. Rotting things get broken down by the organisms in the decomposer level of the food chain, which recycle the matter from the previously rotting thing back into the greater ecosystem.

I don't expect a great understanding of biology, but please can we get some woo-mongers that know just a little more than rudimentary science?

(10-04-2017 10:49 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  If I believed that, I'd still be very scared of death.

Goes to show you that you clearly don't understand the implications of death. Which has been aptly demonstrated through the thread.

(10-04-2017 10:49 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  As theres no evidence of our bodies being dead forever,

You clearly don't know what the word 'evidence' means. But, I will on a technicality grant you that point: there is in fact no evidence that our bodies just stay in a stasis on death. Because you just pulled that out of your arse.

(10-04-2017 10:49 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  I don't have to worry about oblivion.

Then why create this thread, if you really are at peace. I doubt greatly you are capable of the self awareness necessary for examining the beliefs of others.

(10-04-2017 10:49 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  As my soul is infinite, I'll wake up in another universe. With my memories and stuff. Because everything is connected. God will revive me.

You were talking about evidence again were you? It's always so adorable when you people think you can talk about evidence.

(10-04-2017 11:30 PM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 11:27 PM)kim Wrote:  Define forever.
Right. No one can see " forever" so, there can not be evidence for it.
One can see history, though and so far, the only evidence we DO have tells us that when the brain dies, we die. Drinking Beverage

Forever means forever. We have no evidence that our experience ends forever. We only have evidence of life.

I'll try to explain this like I would to a child; if you asked me to define 'computer' and I replied 'computer means computer', is that helpful in establishing the meaning of the word?
By the way, if you think 'well we don't have evidence X doesn't Y', then I have a few tiger repelling rocks to sell to you, since we have no evidence it doesn't repel tigers, I imagine you'll be wanting to line your house with them

(11-04-2017 01:31 AM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 01:28 AM)JesseB Wrote:  Whoah... this might be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.... Congrats dude, I'm impressed. It's nothing to be proud of, but I'm impressed.

I highly recommend you take some grammar, and philosophy classes, start learning the structure of logic, so you can begin understand the phenomenally stupid thing you just said.

Yes life is nothingness condensed by time. You condense nothingness so much it becomes physical. Since nothingness is infinite, it means we live in a infinite universe. So we are eternal. It's like adding zeroes together. Adding two zeroes together isn't zero.

Congratulations, you win the 'dumbest statement today' award. You can't condense nothing; nothing is an absence of all things, therefore it is an absence of all matter, energy, and spacetime. You cannot condense nothing.
Furthermore, life did not come from nothing. All experimental evidence we have shows that though the precise process is as yet unclear, life arose from the natural processes of chemistry; as has been confirmed by the formation of amino acids and related life-necessitating components in prebiotic Earth condition simulations.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
(11-04-2017 05:45 AM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 05:42 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  A set of non-sequiturs. How idiotic.
You have no evidence.
You have nothing.
Nothingness is the structure of our universe. Everything works in perfect order. Thus we keep our memories after death.

Nothingness is not "structure".... so you're wrong about that.
You have to have "something" to have both structure and order. Your argument is patently false.
It's all irrelevant.

You're drawing a conclusion from a set of false premises.
Typical logical error.

Your memories exist in your healthy brain. Nowhere else. Nowhere.
When you die, they are gone.

You're a fool, and what you claim is evidence is nothing but crap.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
(11-04-2017 05:45 AM)slipknot0129 Wrote:  Do you atheists fear oblivion after you're dead?

I don't believe that either your question or your statements of belief are honest.

Angry
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post