Do atheists have a better sense of humor than theists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2015, 05:24 AM
RE: Do atheists have a better sense of humor than theists?
(02-04-2015 02:26 AM)DLJ Wrote:  And to think that not so long ago, a now banned member was chastising us for excessive quippery..

Anyone who insults our sense of humour will be banned. We're FUNNY Goddammit Angry Much funnier than Christians. Much... Weeping I just want somebody to love me, someone to reach out to... PLEASE... Oh God whyyyyyy???

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like morondog's post
02-04-2015, 06:17 AM
Irreverence is a good thing, as illustrated by The Daily Mash:

Jesus died for our holidays

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
[+] 1 user Likes Eva's post
02-04-2015, 07:25 AM
Agree with the OP. The way I see it is that believers just seem to be more uptight and tightly wrapped than us skeptics. Although we do have passion about our views, we just don't take some parts of life too seriously. Also, I think the general act of having fun, or poking fun, does not feel good to a fundi believer - almost a guilt/sin thing maybe.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
02-04-2015, 10:15 AM
No. I find many atheists just like fundies take themselves far too seriously.
02-04-2015, 10:26 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2015 10:32 AM by WeAreTheCosmos.)
Yes, I DO have a hightened sense for humor. Unfortunately, it just makes it more painfully obvious that none of you are even slightly funny.

I nearly blacked out on a few of those; absolute sensory assault from those so called "jokes"
02-04-2015, 12:51 PM
I've known some Christians who had an awesome sense of humor, even about their sacred cows. And some atheists with no sense of humor whatever. Given that this theory would have a huge observational bias, plus a confirmation bias in that the jokes one person tells will tend to work for her crowd but not the opposite crowd, how would we be able to quantify this?

(01-04-2015 06:32 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(01-04-2015 06:24 PM)pablo Wrote:  A priest, a rabbi, and an atheist walk into a bar...

OMG. That's hysterical pablo!

Ok. Now I feel stupid for posting this thread. Watch, a bunch of you will post lame, dumb unfunny jokes.

Facepalm

A Jehova's Witness, a Mormon, and a Muslim walk into a bar...
02-04-2015, 01:00 PM
(02-04-2015 12:51 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  A Jehova's Witness, a Mormon, and a Muslim walk into a bar...

Nobody walks out...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
02-04-2015, 02:48 PM
(02-04-2015 01:00 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(02-04-2015 12:51 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  A Jehova's Witness, a Mormon, and a Muslim walk into a bar...

Nobody walks out...

Hummm. I donno, I'm thinkin' my original premise was perhaps correct. I'm finding all you nitwits funny simply because Spring has sprung and it's put me in a delightful mood. Anything is funny at this point in time. Big Grin No

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
02-04-2015, 03:16 PM
I would agree with the OP. Atheists seem to lack some of the unnecessary seriousness that comes with being terrified of hell.

The essence of life is statistical improbability on a colossal scale.
[+] 1 user Likes Spooky's post