Do atheists have a hollow heart as most Christians claim?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2011, 02:18 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2011 02:23 PM by ddrew.)
Do atheists have a hollow heart as most Christians claim?
Ya know... humanity has a strong will to survive and preservere through all sorts of disasters, diseases and whatever else is thrown at us. A will to keep our species thriving. So much so it is even embeded into our genome through evolution to help one another for the greater cause of our survival as a species.

For those that don't know yet, I have spent the past year in a Christian ministry. It was either be homeless or accept the help and shelter of that ministry. While living at that ministry of course you are required to learn about their doctrine. Was require to read the bible every day (which I think I got through that book almost 2 times).

Now while I was there I had made it very obvious that I was at the time agnostic. It sparked many conversations, arguements, and other interesting topics to discuss. After a year of that place I left the ministry as an atheist. One of the arguements was the notion of atheists not having the same levels of love or kindness for other human beings. They argued that Christians have a higher level of love through the power of Jesus Christ.

Now with all that said... Just the other day I was walking out of the store with a 12 pack of beer, bottle of vodka, and some soda. Outside was a woman and her son who looked to be about 8 years old. The woman was holding a sign that said "Help us. Will work for food." Well fuck me that kinda shit hits me right in the heart. I've been down that road homelessness and was sad to see this lady and kid asking for food. Now yea I know sometimes people are just out there pulling a scam and others are homeless bums looking for money to get drunk. But here I'm walking out of the store having wasted 25 bucks on alcohol and passing by this mother and child trying to ignore them. As I'm driving off my heart gets the better of me and I decided to pull into a fast food joint to pick up some dollar burgers and some water. I drove back to where the woman and child were and motioned her to come to my truck. I handed her the food and water and the look of on her face was overwhelming with gratitude. She said "Thank you so much!. God bless you.. bless you." I just smiled with a quick "Welcome" and drove off.

I know what they'd say back at that ministry... they'd tell me that God had used me as a tool to feed that woman and child. They would say that God had soften my heart to answer the prayers of that woman to help her feed her child for another day.
Heck I dunno. All I know is that myself and other atheists around the world can do things out of the compassion of our hearts for others.

See that's one of the things that bothers me so much about people of faith.. They have this air of arrogance about them that they are morally better than everyone else around them because they get their morals from Jesus. Fucking religion. What a disease to this world.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts and just wanted to express em...

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like ddrew's post
01-12-2011, 02:39 PM
RE: Do atheists have a hollow heart as most Christians claim?
You are what people should be like. You are a model for future generations. However. It was not the will of any so called god that made you preform that act of kindness. It was you and only you.

Just like any other populace. Atheists harbor those who have the kindest of hearts and those who are nothing but malicious intent. The same goes for any other group of people.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
01-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Seriously... which Christians are saying that morality is a trait of the righteous? What the crap? What a horrible, ignorant, and insulting thing to say. Morality is relative and exists because of empathy. As a Christian, I understand this. Anyone can be moral.

[Image: RHcn6pd.gif]
01-12-2011, 03:13 PM

No doubt.

My heart is hollow and it is full of blood.

Sue me!

Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Zatamon's post
01-12-2011, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2011 03:45 PM by ddrew.)
(01-12-2011 03:09 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Seriously... which Christians are saying that morality is a trait of the righteous? What the crap? What a horrible, ignorant, and insulting thing to say. Morality is relative and exists because of empathy. As a Christian, I understand this. Anyone can be moral.

One of the arguments used against me during a conversation about how non-believers wouldn't have helped me stated, "Why did you come to this ministry? What were there no atheist organizations out there to shelter you like we have?"

Yes that statement was made by many people in this Christian ministry. Now what the fuck is that crap? Yes the majority of homeless shelters out there are christian based. But that is some arrogant shit to say that crap.

(01-12-2011 02:39 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  You are what people should be like. You are a model for future generations. However. It was not the will of any so called god that made you preform that act of kindness. It was you and only you.

Just like any other populace. Atheists harbor those who have the kindest of hearts and those who are nothing but malicious intent. The same goes for any other group of people.

Wasn't looking for role model status. Definately not what people should be like.. I have my moments from time to time.. but I'm mostly just another typical asshole out there with a craving for alcohol. Struggling to stay afloat in todays economy.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 2 users Like ddrew's post
01-12-2011, 03:44 PM
(01-12-2011 03:09 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Seriously... which Christians are saying that morality is a trait of the righteous? What the crap? What a horrible, ignorant, and insulting thing to say. Morality is relative and exists because of empathy. As a Christian, I understand this. Anyone can be moral.

I agree that morality/ethics is relative to the time, place, and the society from which it is developed. You and I would say something is "wrong" that people 5,000 years ago might not- animal or human sacrifices, for example.

I've heard my own father as well as many other Christians say that atheists cannot have morals. In fact, I was so convinced of this while I was a Christian that when I met the woman who was to become my wife and she told me that she was an atheist, she was offended by me when I said that. I was ignorant and wrong- and I had be taught to think that way. I know better now, of course. But it took some time to undo that teaching and understand.

As for a hollow heart, ddrew- you're right. My heart is not "hardened" or surrounded by ice. I am free and capable of love, empathy, and compassion, just as much as I was before. That part of me is the same as it ever was, despite not being a Christian anymore. And I'm confident that it would have been so, had I never been a Christian.

But, some Christians just don't understand. Case in point:

Plenty of Christians like to argue that there can be no morality without god, who holds the corner on "objective" morality. Of course the truth is that either God himself doesn't obey his own moral code, or else all morality is subjective (including biblical morality) and developed over time by societies throughout history and will continue to do so in the future. There is so much wrong with this guy's video that it's ridiculous. But I probably would have agreed with it to some degree based on my indoctrination as I grew up.
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
01-12-2011, 03:49 PM
It is wrong for Christians to be judgmental. I am one, and I apologize for all those people that all they tell you is how bad and wrong you are.
The fact is, though, everyone deserves to die and go to Hell. All, including me, have sinned and are not worthy to go to Heaven. But God has provided a way out. It's called Jesus Christ.
He paid for all the sins ever committed. All your sins, all my sins. He wants to spend eternity with you. You, and I, may be bad, sinful, and evil, but God still loves us. That's amazing. I plead with you to find the truth, God, before its too late.
01-12-2011, 03:53 PM
(01-12-2011 03:49 PM)HeWillPrevail Wrote:  It is wrong for Christians to be judgmental. I am one, and I apologize for all those people that all they tell you is how bad and wrong you are.
The fact is, though, everyone deserves to die and go to Hell. All, including me, have sinned and are not worthy to go to Heaven. But God has provided a way out. It's called Jesus Christ.
He paid for all the sins ever committed. All your sins, all my sins. He wants to spend eternity with you. You, and I, may be bad, sinful, and evil, but God still loves us. That's amazing. I plead with you to find the truth, God, before its too late.

[Image: AndHereWeGo.gif]

[Image: RHcn6pd.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
01-12-2011, 03:57 PM
(01-12-2011 03:49 PM)HeWillPrevail Wrote:  It is wrong for Christians to be judgmental. I am one, and I apologize for all those people that all they tell you is how bad and wrong you are.

Save your keystrokes HWP, you're in the wrong place for this shit.
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
01-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Hmmm.. I wonder if a group of athiests were to band together and open some of theses type places if we would get the same tax breaks that the other religious organizations receive?!

I think it would be a great idea.. if athiesm is our "religion" why not show people we are compassionate people as well.

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang