Do atheists have a hollow heart as most Christians claim?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2011, 09:00 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2011 09:34 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Do atheists have a hollow heart as most Christians claim?
(01-12-2011 04:12 PM)ddrew Wrote:  Your not going to heaven, there is no hell. Come to your senses!

I don't allow the ignorance or delusions of others to affect me in any way whatsoever, and neither should you. Wink

(01-12-2011 04:55 PM)ddrew Wrote:  I really do have a hatered for religion in general. ... But my hate for religion is not just my own. It is shared by alot of people out there. ... My hate comes from as early as when I was going to sunday school. Teaching me that my mother's illness (lupis) was a result of sin brought on by God. Teaching me to pray, to ask Jesus to fogive my sins and the sins of my mother and father. Teaching me that my belief in Jesus would heal my mother... Well I prayed... and she still died.

You need to let that go of that shit 'cause it is toxic. ... I mean to you, not them.

(01-12-2011 04:55 PM)ddrew Wrote:  Christianity hurt me by their indoctrinating lies and false hope they gave me. So yeah. I fucking hate religion period. I'm not the only victim. There are many others out there as well. Religion is rape of the human thought process, our minds.

You need to let that shit go also, 'cause it is toxic. ... I mean to you, not them.

Religion has gone evil, many more times than once, but it ain't necessarily so, mostly it's just benign delusion. ... But I got my Mossbergs in the event it goes evil again.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2011, 09:14 PM

Nooooo!!!! Sad( just cause you dont believe in something doesnt mean your a bad person.... that pisses me off!
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2011, 10:04 PM
(01-12-2011 09:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You need to let that shit go also, 'cause it is toxic. ... I mean to you, not them.

Religion has gone evil, many more times than once, but it ain't necessarily so, mostly it's just benign delusion. ... But I got my Mossbergs in the event it goes evil again.

Yeah for the most part I have let it go but bringing it up does stir up the feelings...

.... beer is empty, time for a refill.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
02-12-2011, 06:38 AM
(01-12-2011 03:49 PM)HeWillPrevail Wrote:  The fact is, though, everyone deserves to die and go to Hell. All, including me, have sinned and are not worthy to go to Heaven. But God has provided a way out. It's called Jesus Christ.
He paid for all the sins ever committed. All your sins, all my sins. He wants to spend eternity with you. You, and I, may be bad, sinful, and evil, but God still loves us.

If he died for our sins then the price has already been paid making hell redundant and everyone gets into heaven.

If not everyone gets into heaven then that would mean Jesus didn't pay for our sins meaning this 'sacrifice' is completely meaningless.

If people are all evil that is the fault of a 'creator' not through choice as it is born into all of us.

I put it to you that humans Are not bad,sinful, evil. If we were all there would be in this world is hate, death and destruction that may happen but its a small amount of people who do this.

If god loves us why does he allow some people to have a good easy life while allowing billions more to suffer from the day they are born to the not long after day that they die? Not very loving is it?

I hope that you take a long hard look at what you just said and what your god actually represents and not what you have been told it represents.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 2 users Like FSM_scot's post
02-12-2011, 10:41 AM
A very touching story DDrew. I do sometimes feel bad for the homeless around campus asking for money, but when I see the same guys going into starbucks for a coffee with peoples money I tend to not feel so bad. I am sure that some of them are genuinely down on their luck but if that is the case there are places to go for help (pride aside) and if nothing else, spend that money at Aldi and not starbucks. As a result I tend to ignore them.

There was one time however when I still lived in Chattanooga where I simply could not ignore a homeless man in a wheelchair. He was sitting at a corner red light in the rain. He was not asking for money but instead wanted a ride, so I gave him one. He was in a wheelchair because he only had one leg, so he hopped up out of his chair, swung the wheelchair into the back of my truck and climbed in. I drove him a few miles down the road until he was where he wanted to be, and of course he asked me for any change when he was ready to get out, so I emptied my ashtray of change for him. It was not much money and he may have spent it on booze but I don't think that was what mattered. In this case giving him a ride was simple, convenient and helped me to appreciate what I have. I was not a full-on atheist at that point but I certainly never thought it was god trying to get my attention, I simply thought of it as one human reaching out to another. That is what charity ultimately is, one human reaching out to another when they need it. No god, no jesus, no supernatural power of any kind.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 5 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
05-12-2011, 04:02 PM
(01-12-2011 08:07 PM)k37713 Wrote:  I understand that there are non-religious social organizations out there - but I think that it would be great to have some of the founders of these organizations openly label thierselves as NON- believers/atheists/logical thinkers with no religious affliations- whatever you want to call it - .. Not that the organization would limit the people that it helped to also necessarily be non-believers but that it would be founded by people who promote getting well, or back on your feet by solving the problems head one and not just praying 15 times a day and putting our trust into an entity and the people who back "him" -- I just think that, like this site, there should be more places that we can be open about our non belief and let people know that we are not all monsters

I've been thinking about this same kind of thing. It's a great idea, but people would need to be free to come and go as they pleased. Like I said earlier in the thread - it's difficult to keep numbers up in a group of people who are so independent.

Check out meetup.com ...and type in atheist and your zip code... might be surprised...

A few people I know in a city about an hour away, are active in a local atheist group. At least once a month they do "visible activities" such as clean up a stretch of highway, sponsor a lecture or gallery show, etc.,. The sponsorship is of course, their group -they have tee shirts and a logo and everything. It puts them out there, gets people curious, the "Atheist" becomes a positive image in the community. When good works get happen, tolerance becomes acknowledged acceptance... can change be far behind? Smile

They have subgroups like "survivors"- the newly de-converted, a book reading group, a film group... fun, cool stuff. They do all public invited stuff too -BBQs, interesting speakers, they went ice skating last weekend, I'm going to try to book them(& me) into a planetarium in Jan... I'm not a "member" officially, I've just been to a few of their things and I know some members personally. Actually, I don't think there are any "rules" ... if you know a member or are just curious, you can attend whatever is going on. It's like a "get to know an Atheist" activity.

Once again... actual "membership" fluctuates. But to me; networking = growth.
We all know the old saying; If you want something done right, do it yourself. I'm almost ready to start an atheist group in my community, and if we get stuck for stuff to do, or membership goes thin, we can merge or migrate to the one in the bigger city. If it's a success, maybe we can have our group network with other groups in the region and possibly start a FreeThought Convention in our state. Idea Linking up with neighboring states... and so on...
Like I said before... I too, want to change the mainstream, presupposed image of "Atheist". I think being here is helping me to get things organized enough to at least start a ball rolling.
Smile It only takes one person to start to change the world... I hope.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
05-12-2011, 05:08 PM
(01-12-2011 03:09 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Seriously... which Christians are saying that morality is a trait of the righteous? What the crap? What a horrible, ignorant, and insulting thing to say. Morality is relative and exists because of empathy. As a Christian, I understand this. Anyone can be moral.

Does this mean you were offended?

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
05-12-2011, 05:13 PM
(05-12-2011 05:08 PM)daemonowner Wrote:  
(01-12-2011 03:09 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Seriously... which Christians are saying that morality is a trait of the righteous? What the crap? What a horrible, ignorant, and insulting thing to say. Morality is relative and exists because of empathy. As a Christian, I understand this. Anyone can be moral.

-_-

Is this seriously going to become a "thing"? Picking out my posts asking if I was offended. I think I pretty much describe my stance on it. It's horrible, ignorant, and insulting.

How you can possible take this as me being "offended" is a mystery.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
05-12-2011, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2011 05:16 PM by ddrew.)

It would appear from that response that I had indeed touched a nerve.. hrmm? Cool

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
05-12-2011, 05:17 PM
(05-12-2011 05:13 PM)ddrew Wrote:  

It would appear from that response that I had indeed touched a nerve.. hrmm? Cool

Oh you.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]