Do atheists have a sexual harassment problem?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Do atheists have a sexual harassment problem?
Interesting piece here from the Religion News Service on the whole TAM/Watson harassment saga. I'm a pretty active skeptic but haven't been to a conference or TAM. Are they any more sexually harassing than other conferences or life in general?

http://www.religionnews.com/culture/gend...nt-problem
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-07-2012, 01:52 PM
RE: Do atheists have a sexual harassment problem?
When the rape count begins to equal that of the christians in the military or of the child molestations by priests in the church, let me know.
It happens so much in church, there is website for it.
http://www.churchsafety.com/topics/staff.../cs33.html

An unwanted sexual advance is called a normal saturday night in a bar, which is where most of these allegations happened.
They happened in a bar outside and separate from the convention itself.

It's never a good thing if someone gropes you. That's the point when you fight, pull out the mace or a taser.

If you don't feel safe, take steps to help protect your safety and the safety of others.
Not attending a place where there are a large number of people is only going to keep you home bound and afraid to step outside into the real world, where you have to deal with real people, who can at times be complete jerks, assholes and drunks.

When I go hiking in the woods where there are bears nearby, I take precautions (bear spray), never walk alone (always with someone slower than you preferably) and while you are in the woods, realize that you are intruding into the bears territory, not the other way around.

I don't know the full story behind Miss Watson and what happened to her, so I can't speak on that.
All I can say is, I don't think that this issue is related to atheists at all.
It's a problem of human nature, too much alcohol and not enough respect for women.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
14-07-2012, 03:04 PM
(14-07-2012 11:08 AM)Jeff Wrote:  Interesting piece here from the Religion News Service on the whole TAM/Watson harassment saga. I'm a pretty active skeptic but haven't been to a conference or TAM. Are they any more sexually harassing than other conferences or life in general?

The report is from religionnews. You might want to check for bias.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-07-2012, 03:07 PM
(14-07-2012 01:52 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I take precautions (bear spray), never walk alone (always with someone slower than you preferably)
Seems like the same precautions one should use for dating Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
14-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Agree with the rest. One, bias of the website is skewered. Has ANYONE else made a story about this? A one paper story is usually a good indicator that this isn't a real story.

Secondly, why contribute this to atheism? Atheism doesn't give you any morals to follow. In fact the only requirement is not to believe in any God. That's it, that's ALL. There are no atheist priests who represent the community in the same way as religious communities have. Does Seth represent me and my views? Partially, he doesn't believe in god. But I bet we have any number of differences in which he doesn't represents me at all. It's like saying all atheists vote republican.

Maybe I should make a story? Do none golfers have a sexual harassment problem?
14-07-2012, 04:05 PM
(14-07-2012 03:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-07-2012 11:08 AM)Jeff Wrote:  Interesting piece here from the Religion News Service on the whole TAM/Watson harassment saga. I'm a pretty active skeptic but haven't been to a conference or TAM. Are they any more sexually harassing than other conferences or life in general?

The report is from religionnews. You might want to check for bias.
No wai! They're so fair, and tolerant, and understanding and stuff... Evil_monster

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
14-07-2012, 04:09 PM
That said, the article seems pretty legit. There was a big blow up a while back over the idea that some women felt unsafe going specifically to these *atheist* conferences. Can't really apply the non-golfer thing, non-golfers don't organize events and meet up to discuss the reasons they don't play golf. AFAIK it was admitted that there was at least a whiff of unpleasantness... and the article cites the reasonable response that people have made - to implement a policy at these events. In actual fact I was suprised by the reasonable tone, I kept expecting the "and this is why you can't trust those randy atheist pricks" line.
14-07-2012, 04:15 PM
A woman calls it "sexual harassment" when a beta male does it. People still haven't absorbed the implications of the research which shows that the majority of all the men who lived to sexual maturity apparently didn't get to reproduce. We have about twice as many female ancestors as male ancestors, or in other words a whole lot of men in our evolutionary past probably died as virgins because the women in their tribes rejected them in favor of their tribes' sexy, dominant bad boys:

Genetic Evidence for Unequal Effective Population Sizes of Human Females and Males

http://mbe.oxfordjournals.org/content/21/11/2047.long

I also have to laugh at the irony about the sexual harassment situation. Preachers for generations have denounced atheists because they imagined that we have promiscuous sex lives, when real atheist men face sexual frustrations like men in general because most of us fall into the sexually yucky beta box, from women's perspectives.
14-07-2012, 04:18 PM
"Women in the atheist movement are not saying that sexual harassment is greater at atheist conferences, but that it should be handled better when it does happen. We want our conferences, which have been largely male dominated, to be safe and welcoming places for women. I believe we are moving in the right direction.
- Melody Hensley
Women in Secularism, Organizer"

Well that's a counter argument, and then you have a not so reasonable:
"According to atheists, we are nothing more than animals. So if a woman WERE to get molested, and or raped… Wouldnt that just be the behavior of animals? Therefore she would have no legal claim. i mean… If you reduce us to just evolved thinking animals.. law enforcement goes out of the window and we go to a kill or be killed mentality."
Overall reasonable, but I fail to see how someone's belief or lack of them has anything to do with the harassment. Priests stories have to do with their profession and role in society. Not their religion. Same if a teacher did something like this.
14-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Comments section. Always gets trolled. Article was fine Wink
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post