Do atheists need a Caitlyn?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
21-07-2015, 11:14 PM
Do atheists need a Caitlyn?
Tonight I saw a friend who had a debate on Facebook with one of our mutual friends about Caitlyn Jenner. She had shared a post about the serviceman who defended Jenner getting the Arthur Ashe ESPY and she agreed with him. Our mutual friend found it hard to accept calling Jenner a hero, saying he reserved that term for "real" heroes like servicemen, et al.

When I saw her tonight, I told her I agreed with her that Caitlyn most certainly is a hero to a whole community and that the definition of a hero shouldn't be so narrow as to only include people who put their lives on the line. A passerby stopped and heard us chatting and said she thought it sucked that it had to take someone like Jenner to "legitimize" the trans community, to make it acceptable. What she meant by that was, she felt people should have always accepted trans people. My friend said that's just the way society is, mentioning that black people were once considered lesser humans. I mentioned that gay people have faced the same prejudices and are only now really being recognized for the fine people they are.

It got me to thinking: Would atheists benefit from a Caitlyn Jenner? In other words, if an A-lister who was an atheist could garner the same attention and accolades as Caitlyn, would the nonbeliever community receive the same boost in acceptance? I realize there are quite a few A-list celebs who are nonbelievers, but very few step up and push the acceptance. Their involvement usually just means a quote in some magazine or meme on FB. But if someone like Brad Pitt led a national atheist organization, what could it mean?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-07-2015, 11:25 PM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2015 11:32 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)
RE: Do atheists need a Caitlyn?
Caitlyn is a conservative Christian Republican that married a Kardashian. I'm skeptical on atheism needing an equivalent calibre spokesperson but if one were to emerge then it would be in the interest of atheism's public image to have somebody that was a little less insane.

Or maybe not, her rather bizarre history hasn't seemed to diminish her reputation as an LGTB advocate.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
21-07-2015, 11:33 PM
(21-07-2015 11:25 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Caitlyn is a conservative Christian Republican that married a Kardashian. I'm skeptical on atheism needing an equivalent calibre spokesperson but if one were to emerge then it would be in the interest of atheism's public image to have somebody that was a little less insane.

Clearly I don't mean needing an actual Caitlyn, but just someone who could garner that type of publicity and support.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-07-2015, 11:39 PM
I know a Caitlyn, I don't know if she is atheist or religious or what.

There are plenty of extremely popular and weekly on TV people who acknowledge publicly they are atheist/agnostic to varied degrees. I don't know how popular this person really is but It cant be that much bigger.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
21-07-2015, 11:41 PM
I think what you are talking about may be a catch 22 situation.
21-07-2015, 11:47 PM (This post was last modified: 22-07-2015 12:02 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
An atheist who's willing to speak out about their atheism and put a good face on it in public, eh?

You mean, aside from my top pics of:

Seth MacFarlane
Seth Green
and
Chris Hardwick?

How about?
Fred Armisen
Kevin Bacon
James Cameron
Billy Connolly
David Cross
Guillermo del Toro
Peter Fonda
Ricky Gervais
Jody Foster
Kathy Griffin
Jamie Hyneman
Eric Idle
Eddie Izzard
Penn Jillette (and Teller, too)
Keira Knightley
Bill Maher
John Malcovich
Sir Ian McKellen
Dame Helen Mirren
Patton Oswalt
Joaquin Phoenix
Brad Pitt (mentioned, and says he may be just agnostic)
Daniel Radcliffe
Rob Reiner
Ray Romano
Adam Savage
Ridley Scott
Andy Serkis
Sarah Silverman
Stellan Skarsgard
Matt Stone
Emma Thompson
Joss Whedon
and Gene Wilder
?

Edit to Add: Really should have put Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage in the top list.

Great quote by Hyneman about skepticism:
On December 12, 2006, in an interview on Skepticality, the official podcast of Skeptic, Hyneman said, "[A]ctually I'm pretty adamant about, you know, the whole God thing and it seems that skeptics are by and large atheists or something approaching that, which I strongly identify with. So it turned out to be a good thing and I have become enthusiastically part of it."

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
21-07-2015, 11:49 PM
I guess.

I don't really see why it wouldn't.

Though, I guess it's possible it'd just end up torpedoing their career.

...you guys ever come across an idea that you don't like for a reason you can't place? That's my reaction to this. Consider

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
21-07-2015, 11:56 PM
There are plenty of celebrities who publicly speak out about their atheism. It would take something much bigger than that in my opinion. Something like a high ranking and very well liked politician maybe, but good luck getting elected in the first place as an atheist.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
22-07-2015, 12:08 AM
Even that... I think a single person being the agent of change is highly unusual and unlikely. Transgender people... I don't think I was even very aware of them before Caitlyn Jenner popped up. She was one of if not the very first high profile person to come out as transgender. It had a huge impact because the story was so unusual. On the other hand there are many high profile people who are atheist, the atheist minority are vocal and already receive a lot of attention because the Christees are so scared of us Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
22-07-2015, 12:20 AM
(22-07-2015 12:08 AM)morondog Wrote:  Even that... I think a single person being the agent of change is highly unusual and unlikely. Transgender people... I don't think I was even very aware of them before Caitlyn Jenner popped up. She was one of if not the very first high profile person to come out as transgender. It had a huge impact because the story was so unusual. On the other hand there are many high profile people who are atheist, the atheist minority are vocal and already receive a lot of attention because the Christees are so scared of us Tongue

It's because we oppress them so. Ohmy